Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901510 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1770 on: October 22, 2009, 01:30:53 pm »
letter from Google and Verizon on net neutrality.

I saw that too.  Verizon Wireless and Verizon Residential/Business need to get on the same page....

well. . maybe.  i have a harder time rationalizing why this rule should apply to wireless.....
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1771 on: October 22, 2009, 01:32:49 pm »
well. . maybe.  i have a harder time rationalizing why this rule should apply to wireless.....

Because all wireless still connects to fiber in the ground after it gets back to the tower....

Wireless and content providers want it open.  Those that control the fiber in the ground want it closed.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:34:43 pm by vansmack »
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1772 on: October 22, 2009, 06:45:14 pm »
dunno where else to dump this:

Google to launch music search service

(WIRED) -- Google plans to launch a music service, Wired.com has confirmed with sources familiar with the situation. Next to nothing is known about the service at this point, rumored to be called "Google Music," "Google Audio," or "One Box," although we have confirmed that it will be announced next Wednesday, and that it will link out to two music services: Lala and iLike.

Google will not become a music retailer itself, but will offer enhanced music search with a streaming function -- the first of possibly several vertical search offerings.

Searching for an artist or song will apparently bring up a box (thus Google's working title: "One Box") with a streaming link randomly assigned to stream songs from either Lala or iLike, the latter of which was acquired by MySpace in August.

Lala, iLike, "and others" will announce the service next Wednesday at Capital Records Music in Hollywood, California, with musical guests OneRepublic plus members of Linkin Park and Dead by Sunrise.

The RSVP on the invitation links to an e-mail address at secure online event registration company Paragon New Media, which lists Google as a client. After spotting that, we confirmed with a source close to the situation that Google's upcoming music service will be announced at the event.

Google's music search service, whatever it ends up being called, will include music from all four major labels and, most likely, all of the indie content on iLike and Lala (as one insider put it, it would be harder to remove a subset of songs from those services than to let Google simply index all of it).

iLike currently streams some songs as 30-second samples and others as full-length songs, and sells MP3s for the usual prices. Lala allows registered users to stream complete songs and albums once, for free, after which point they can buy streaming songs 10 cents that can be credited to the purchase of the full download.

At this point, it's not clear how these services will behave when presented through Google's search interface.

Google has yet to respond to our requests for comment. The company is also building the back-end for the majors' upcoming Vevo music video service, and operates a free download service in China that TechCrunch says will not resemble whatever Google launches here in the U.S. and possibly elsewhere as well.

After this music search product launches next Wednesday, we understand that Google plans to release other search verticals, possibly including a travel booking service.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/22/google.music/index.html
<sig>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1773 on: October 22, 2009, 06:58:03 pm »

i'm sure the EU will attempt to fine Google for infringing on something.....
OU812

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1774 on: October 23, 2009, 07:44:37 am »
While it's been forever since I've traded a CD on Lala, I routinely stream new releases from that site.  What's interesting is I believe only US users can listen on Lala, so it's kinda limiting the scope of the launch for Google music. So what will the "other sites" be? Could one be Spotify which of course is only available in Europe at the moment.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #1775 on: October 24, 2009, 04:53:31 pm »
Quick public thank you to sweetcell for the U2 ticket last night for the Vegas show.  Epic time.  hands down boardie of the year in my book.
27>34

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1776 on: October 25, 2009, 10:38:33 am »
Quick public thank you to sweetcell for the U2 ticket last night for the Vegas show.  Epic time.  hands down boardie of the year in my book.

Smackie and sweetcell together in Vegas?    Stories, please.

vansmack

« Reply #1777 on: October 25, 2009, 12:21:05 pm »
Smackie and sweetcell together in Vegas?    Stories, please.

Well, it started with a bucket of Miller Lite big mouths where I promptly sliced up my hand opening the first one and ended with Smackette asking me how I got that big bruise on my left ass cheek when I got back home last night.  My reply "Frankly love, I'd like to know how I got that too."

You guys can pretty much fill in the rest.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1778 on: October 26, 2009, 12:40:56 am »
in case they can't:

we consumed at least 20 beers each.  i got facebook-stalked by my mother-in-law, wondering what the hell i was doing in vegas without her daughter (good thing i was tipsy by then, if not i might have had the wit to reply "because i'm here on pleasure, not business").  we saw a great show from the pit.  black eyed peas were surprisingly entertaining.  U2 did as U2 does, was nice to see the show from  the edge's side.  witnessed smackie stumble/face-plant in a ditch... three times.  we found a great cabbie who eventually let us down.  tried to go to a strip club and failed (see previous sentence).  highlight was the stripper who didn't want to talk to us "because we were both married" - nice place to have morals, lady.  didn't gamble a single penny. 

all in all, t'was an epic 24-hours in sin city.  smackie, i'll do that again any time.  pictures forthcoming (of the show only - sorry folks).
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1779 on: October 26, 2009, 12:57:44 pm »
witnessed smackie stumble/face-plant in a ditch... three times.

I'm guessing this is where the bruise came from.  Smackette insists it came from Minxx, but I told her we didn't go there because you were afraid of being bitten by someone you couldn't prove had her tetanus shots...

we found a great cabbie who eventually let us down.  tried to go to a strip club and failed (see previous sentence).  highlight was the stripper who didn't want to talk to us "because we were both married" - nice place to have morals, lady.

Ricks (used to be scores) was awful.  I'll never go back.  It was twice as painful when I saw that Bearman was getting a lap dance that night and I wasn't

didn't gamble a single penny. 

I actually threw my last quarter in a slot machine at the airport and won 75 cents which I put in my pocket and walked away happy.

all in all, t'was an epic 24-hours in sin city.  smackie, i'll do that again any time.  pictures forthcoming (of the show only - sorry folks).

Ditto.  And to think the Director cancelled on us at last minute....

Show Only Photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4958&id=100000240027397&ref=nf
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1780 on: October 27, 2009, 06:39:15 pm »
This week is a violence prevention week and the students are encouraged to wear their own violence prevention clothing.

My favorite so far:

Hit Blunts Not Babes.

Honorable Mention:

FRONT: She wasn't asking for it.....
BACK: You didn't phrase the question properly!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:44:39 pm by vansmack »
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1781 on: October 27, 2009, 07:39:58 pm »
Hit Blunts Not Babes.

brilliant!  reminds me of flight of the conchords:

Redheads not warheads
Blondes not bombs
We're talkin' about brunettes not fighter jets
Oooh Oooh it's got to be Sweet 16's not M-16's
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1782 on: October 28, 2009, 05:40:46 pm »
This one's for my good friend Kosmo:

Netflix Streaming coming to Wii next?
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1783 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:09 pm »
This one's for my good friend Kosmo:

Netflix Streaming coming to Wii next?

My Wii hasn't been on in a long time, just nothing interesting game wise out at the moment for it.  Even the PS3 is feeling a bit lonely these days.
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1784 on: October 29, 2009, 02:30:52 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/22/google.music/index.html

Google opens OneBox music service
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8331290.stm

Live From Hollywood: Google?s Music Onebox Launches, Powered By MySpace And Lala
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28/live-from-hollywood-googles-music-onebox-debuts-powered-by-myspace-and-lala/

and while we're on the topic of disruptive google offerings:
Google Redefines GPS Navigation Landscape: Google Maps Navigation For Android 2.0
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28/google-redefines-car-gps-navigation-google-maps-navigation-android/

Google?s New Mobile App Cuts GPS Nav Companies At The Knees
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28/googles-new-mobile-app-cuts-gps-nav-companies-at-the-knees/
<sig>