Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901527 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2715 on: May 08, 2013, 09:57:26 am »
i have the S2 and i LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  i'll be getting the S4 soon'ish.  i don't know what walkies issues are with this phone, but mine has zero bugs, has worked flawlessly for 2 years (or since whenever it came out), etc.  can't recommend the phone enough.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2716 on: May 08, 2013, 09:59:56 am »
I have the Galaxy S2 as well and no issues.  Great phone.  The Iphone 5 looks like a tiny piece of crap in comparison.  I can't imagine anyone buying an Iphone at this point.

vansmack

« Reply #2717 on: May 08, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »
Filming those Old Spice / Head & Shoulders commercials was the kiss of death.

It did not help, no.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2718 on: May 08, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »
I ended up getting the HTC One, primarily because the Galaxy 4 felt like a cheap POS.  That and the much touted features of the Galaxy 4 ended up being hype.  Of course as is usually these days, there were a couple features in the Galaxy 4 that I would like to have i.e. easily removable battery and 4.2 OS.  oh well... tis the way of consumer electronics these day.

I think you made the right choice.  I hope the all aluminum chassis takes off because it's sexy.  Play with the Zoe's feature too - I want to see some great stuff from you with still and live recordings from shows.

On the removable battery front, just grab this - I charge everything with it and am never without power on my tablet, phone, camera...

And you'll have 4.2 soon enough.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2719 on: May 08, 2013, 01:14:10 pm »
mine (2) worked for (two) years and now it does the funniest things.  like cutting off and rebooting sometimes.  the wifi cutting on for no reason, which i think fucks up the three g.  the three g just not working, as my partners older phone right next to me is working just fine.  my one bar to his three bars on the same carrier.  and now . . . it enjoys erasing emails off the phone.  it is a gmail based account, but through the phones email app, not the gmail app.  if i open an email, read it, go back to my inbox, then hit refresh, or if another new email comes in, it erases that email that has been opened.  only gone from the phone, not my email, no matter what setting i change, no matter if i delete all pictures, clear all caches (i think) because i thought it was a memory problem . . . maybe i have too many apps and stuff.  but mine is buggy, and people i know who have them have some of the same buggy issues.  i changed the battery and everything. 

but i hate apple . . . repeat, i hate you apple.

vansmack

« Reply #2720 on: May 08, 2013, 01:45:49 pm »
mine (2) worked for (two) years and now it does the funniest things. 

Have you ever done a factory reset?  I recommend one once a year.

And if your phone is two years old, I'd also recommend getting a new one.  They're really not built to keep up with mobile technology after two years.  With the advances in software coming every 6 months, the apps are updated to keep up with a new OS and simply won't run as strong on older versions of the OS.   
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2721 on: May 08, 2013, 02:08:27 pm »
gotta love phones, with that shelf life. if i can figure it out, im sure it is easy, i will try a factory reset.

atomicfront

« Reply #2722 on: May 08, 2013, 02:12:37 pm »
mine (2) worked for (two) years and now it does the funniest things. 

Have you ever done a factory reset?  I recommend one once a year.

And if your phone is two years old, I'd also recommend getting a new one.  They're really not built to keep up with mobile technology after two years.  With the advances in software coming every 6 months, the apps are updated to keep up with a new OS and simply won't run as strong on older versions of the OS.   

I dont' really see needing anything more than the Galaxy S2.  Screen is big enough.  I can play pinball.  I can take photos. I can surf the web. I can make calls.  I can text.  I can listen to Rhapsody, Pandora etc.  I don't really want any other apps.  If you want better photo capablities you need a real camera.  If they could make the battery last a week or two that would be the number one improvement I would like. Second improvement would be bigger screen.  But not too much bigger as I will run out of pocket space for it. 

I think it is like laptops. Home laptops kind of peaked 3 or 4 years ago.  THey hit a dead end. No one needed anything more.  So now everyone is moving on to tablets.  Phones will hit there peak soon enough.  Improved speed I guess would be better.  So I could download an album instantly.  And more memory so I could store every song locally.

vansmack

« Reply #2723 on: May 08, 2013, 02:36:48 pm »
I dont' really see needing anything more than the Galaxy S2.  

Everybody's use case is different.

A Galaxy SII is fine for the Pinball Wizard.  If I still had to use mine I would throw it across the room in the first half hour of use.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2724 on: May 08, 2013, 02:44:21 pm »
gotta love phones, with that shelf life. if i can figure it out, im sure it is easy, i will try a factory reset.

Back up everything you want to keep from the phone first (photos, music, etc.).  If you want to back up text messages, it will require an app to do that as they are not available to the end user.

Three options:

#1 - Performing a factory data reset via settings

Go to Settings.
Select Privacy.
Click on Factory data reset.
Check Format USB storage if needed only (I recommend this, but only if you've backed all data).
Click on Reset phone.
Finally, select Erase everything.

(2) Performing a factory data reset using phone buttons

Turn off SGS2.
Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
Release all buttons when you see SGS2 Logo.
Android system recovery will be loaded then.
Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home button)
Select Yes ? delete all user data.
Finally, select reboot system now.

(3) Performing a factory data reset using dialpad

Warning ~ no turning back after key in.
Bring up dialpad.
Key in *2767*3855#
Finally, SGS2 will be rebooted and factory data reset.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2725 on: May 08, 2013, 02:59:46 pm »
Last night, Houston enjoyed their first come-from-behind win since a 7-6 triumph over the Phillies last September. That streak of 47 games without a comeback victory was the longest in the majors since a 58-game streak by the Texas Rangers four decades ago (1972-73).

I don't think I need to tell you who they came back to beat last night.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2726 on: May 13, 2013, 03:30:14 pm »
I can't believe I have to install iTunes for this (but I'm totally going to do it)!

Stream the new Daft Punk on iTunes

http://www.itunes.com/daftpunk
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:33:37 pm by vansmack »
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2727 on: May 13, 2013, 03:45:01 pm »
dammit.  now i can't decide if i want to wait a week for the real thing, or deal with MP3...  AAAAAARGH.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2728 on: May 13, 2013, 03:56:57 pm »
dammit.  now i can't decide if i want to wait a week for the real thing, or deal with MP3...  AAAAAARGH.

Lunch was just 1:14:34 delayed for me....
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2729 on: May 14, 2013, 01:28:11 am »
And they say I'm not sensitive:

Angelina Jolie's Medical Choice
27>34