Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901548 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2910 on: September 06, 2013, 12:36:37 pm »
This week, to mark the 170th anniversary of the appearance of the first issue of The Economist on September 2nd 1843, this blog will answer some of the more frequently asked questions about The Economist itself.

Why does The Economist call itself a newspaper?
Is The Economist left- or right-wing?
How does The Economist choose what to cover?
Why are The Economist?s writers anonymous?
Where do The Economist?s unusual names come from?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:41:54 pm by vansmack »
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #2911 on: September 06, 2013, 01:07:39 pm »
that's awesome.  the economist is one of the only news outlets i read these days.

and, as always, i love sharing this whenever it's mentioned.

vansmack

« Reply #2912 on: September 10, 2013, 11:40:29 am »
Now if they could just find him some pitching....

Mike Trout is ending the debate
September, 10, 2013

By Buster Olney

Mike Trout was loved by front-office types last year. But this year, the players also see it.
Before the season, Mike Trout talked about wanting to be more patient at the plate, about drawing more walks, because in his first full season in the big leagues he had shown some impatience and, naturally, he wanted to get better.

Well, a year later, Trout has increased his walk total -- by about 50 percent. He is on pace to draw 102 walks this season, as well as 203 hits, 78 extra-base hits, 110 runs, 95 RBIs and 36 stolen bases.

A longtime player was asked last week about the MVP vote in the American League. ?Trout?s going to win it, isn?t he?? he responded. ?There isn?t really any question about it -- he?s the best player in baseball.?

? Trout currently leads the AL in hits with 179.
? He leads the league in walks with 90.
? He leads in runs with 97.
? He?s tied for fifth in doubles with 37.
? He?s third in OPS at 1.009.
? He is also running away from everybody else in WAR, in the way that he did last year.

Last year, the drumbeat of the Trout-for-MVP discussion was led by talent evaluators who work in street clothes -- the general managers, the assistant general managers, the scouts. But this year, you hear it more and more from players. They view Trout as occupying a very special and distinct place in the sport.

Most players I?ve spoken this summer with think Miguel Cabrera is the best hitter, and Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher.

But the best overall player? The folks in front offices still can?t believe there?s a debate about this, given Trout?s staggering preeminence in the statistical evaluations they compile. Now, more and more players are agreeing with them, in Trout?s second full year in the big leagues.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2913 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:08 am »
Don't be ridiculous..nobody on such a losing team should ever win the MVP.

hutch

« Reply #2914 on: September 10, 2013, 11:50:24 am »
the MVP award does not go to the "best player"...it goes to the most valuable player..to be valuable your team has to actually be doing something..

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2915 on: September 10, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »
Now if they could just find him some pitching....

Mike Trout is ending the debate
September, 10, 2013

By Buster Olney

Mike Trout was loved by front-office types last year. But this year, the players also see it.
Before the season, Mike Trout talked about wanting to be more patient at the plate, about drawing more walks, because in his first full season in the big leagues he had shown some impatience and, naturally, he wanted to get better.

Well, a year later, Trout has increased his walk total -- by about 50 percent. He is on pace to draw 102 walks this season, as well as 203 hits, 78 extra-base hits, 110 runs, 95 RBIs and 36 stolen bases.

A longtime player was asked last week about the MVP vote in the American League. ?Trout?s going to win it, isn?t he?? he responded. ?There isn?t really any question about it -- he?s the best player in baseball.?

? Trout currently leads the AL in hits with 179.
? He leads the league in walks with 90.
? He leads in runs with 97.
? He?s tied for fifth in doubles with 37.
? He?s third in OPS at 1.009.
? He is also running away from everybody else in WAR, in the way that he did last year.

Last year, the drumbeat of the Trout-for-MVP discussion was led by talent evaluators who work in street clothes -- the general managers, the assistant general managers, the scouts. But this year, you hear it more and more from players. They view Trout as occupying a very special and distinct place in the sport.

Most players I?ve spoken this summer with think Miguel Cabrera is the best hitter, and Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher.

But the best overall player? The folks in front offices still can?t believe there?s a debate about this, given Trout?s staggering preeminence in the statistical evaluations they compile. Now, more and more players are agreeing with them, in Trout?s second full year in the big leagues.
If Cabrera was a white guy from middle America who played in LA and Trout was a Hispanic guy with a loose grasp of English who played in Detroit, absolutely no one on earth would be making this argument. The Trout for MVP over Cabrera argument is simply baseball's "this is still the 1950s" mindset masquerading as avant garde stats.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #2916 on: September 10, 2013, 01:11:51 pm »
CUTCH!!!

vansmack

« Reply #2917 on: September 10, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »
CUTCH!!!

You will get no argument from me.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2918 on: September 10, 2013, 05:20:26 pm »
If Cabrera was a white guy from middle America who played in LA and Trout was a Hispanic guy with a loose grasp of English who played in Detroit, absolutely no one on earth would be making this argument. The Trout for MVP over Cabrera argument is simply baseball's "this is still the 1950s" mindset masquerading as avant garde stats.

So it's their names?  Or is it because Trout's from New Jersey?

Because there is a white guy playing in LA(ish) and a Hispanic guy playing in Detroit, and there's still an argument.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2919 on: September 10, 2013, 05:24:28 pm »
the MVP award does not go to the "best player"...it goes to the most valuable player..to be valuable your team has to actually be doing something..

For the record, I don't think Trout wins it this year either (that was Buster Olney's post, and I am not Buster Olney), but I still think Trout's the best player in baseball.

Cabrera, Cutch, Scherzer and Kershaw. I'm tipping Fernandez for ROY in the NL over Puig (backlash) and I don't think they should award an AL ROY this year.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #2920 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:28 pm »

For the record, I don't think Trout wins it this year either (that was Buster Olney's post, and I am not Buster Olney), but I still think Trout's the best player in baseball.

Cabrera, Cutch, Scherzer and Kershaw. I'm tipping Fernandez for ROY in the NL over Puig (backlash) and I don't think they should award an AL ROY this year.

is puig a runaway consensus in the media? i would think fernandez gets the nod, simply by playing the whole year.  and he's really, really, really good.

... he did play the whole year, right?

vansmack

« Reply #2921 on: September 10, 2013, 05:56:56 pm »
is puig a runaway consensus in the media? i would think fernandez gets the nod, simply by playing the whole year.  and he's really, really, really good.

... he did play the whole year, right?

Yes, Fernadez played the entire year, though they may limit his last two starts to six innings, if not shutting him down completely.

Puig's hot start has fizzled a little, to about .307, so he's in the discussion for sure, but Fernandez has just not let up all season.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2923 on: September 13, 2013, 02:45:38 pm »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/erikmalinowski/this-sports-app-is-almost-worth-wearing-a-computer-on-your-f

Yes.  Totally awesome, but doesn't address my two biggest problems with Glass. 

First, it only works on the right eye.  Well, I'm left handed and, thus, left eye dominant.

And, second you have to have near perfect vision as you can't adjust the focal length to work with prescriptions. 

So until they figure those two things out, Google Glass is not in my peripheral vision.  And I'd drop the cash on it too.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2924 on: September 17, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »
And I'm just going to say this because I know none of you stay up late enough to see it for yourselves:

Mike Trout>Bryce Harper

I'm referring to all 5 tools, plus he's better looking and has better hair.

Mike Trout is having another Awesome Season

For those that might not click the link - some highlights:

Might lead the league in hits and walks, and might have 200 hits and 100 walks.

And if Trout reaches 200 hits, he'd be the youngest player ever with 200 hits, 100 runs, 25 homers and 30 steals in the same season. Alex Rodriguez is the current record holder, reaching those numbers in his age-22 season in 1996.

And check out this stat line because this is where Mike Trout is headed at his current pace:

.330 AVG
.437 OBP
.558 SLG
.995 OPS
25 home runs
36 stolen bases
109 walks
113 runs
197 hits
315 times on base

Want to guess how many players, at any age, have ever etched all those numbers on the same line of their Baseball Encyclopedia page?

Right you are. That would be none. Nada. Not a one.

So how great is Mike Trout? We think we just answered that question. Right?

As Mark McGwire said - 'I'm not here to talk about the past.'

Current WAR:

Machado  2.3
Trout        2.3
Harper     1.7

This story has a lot of time to be played out.

And 'Bam Bam'?  What, like Bam Bam into the wall?

Mike Trout 8.3
Manny Machado 6.5
Bryce Harper 3.4
27>34