Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901561 times)

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3255 on: June 12, 2014, 10:54:12 am »
Dear Mr. Smakie

I await your commentary on Amazon Prime Music.....

slack

vansmack

« Reply #3256 on: June 12, 2014, 12:09:01 pm »
Dear Mr. Smakie

I await your commentary on Amazon Prime Music.....

If you're already a Prime customer, then great, 1 million more songs for you.

But would you sign up for Prime just for the music component?  Absolutely not. It pales in comparison to other music offerings that have 20x the collection.  I might use it instead of Pandora or Songza, but I'm not canceling my Google Play Music or Spotify because of it....   

It seems to be mostly singles and popular songs from albums, but not the full album.
27>34

« Reply #3257 on: June 12, 2014, 12:40:51 pm »
yeah, I'm not impressed at all
I am a prime member, but am considering dropping it when my renewal comes up in Sept
as the movies/tv via prime really aren't that great either

for $99 I need to order a lot more stuff from amazon to make up for the free shipping

Now I did pay for Hulu and I am somewhat liking it
One great find was "Moone boy" with Chris O'Dowd

So are they coming out with a Spotify for movies/TV?
slack

hutch

« Reply #3258 on: June 12, 2014, 01:02:19 pm »
we dropped prime last week...hurts a bit! we may go back...

maybe if they deliver by drone we will sign up again.. i want some drones in my lawn

vansmack

« Reply #3259 on: June 12, 2014, 01:22:53 pm »
If you guys don't mind, start a google doc and let me know how much you spend on shipping for the year you don't have Prime.  I've always wanted to do it, but I've kept Prime because it makes sense for my situation.  Because I don't live anywhere near family, I used to spend $50-$60 around the holidays alone. 

The woman I live with and I split it because you can add up to 6 people to your Prime account (little known fact?).  For $50 Prime is a steal, but I suspect that even if we combined incomes, it would still make sense because she likes to shop.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3260 on: June 12, 2014, 01:29:56 pm »
See, what I took away from that is 4 of us can buy our way into your amazon prime account for, say, $15 each?
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3261 on: June 12, 2014, 01:43:28 pm »
See, what I took away from that is 4 of us can buy our way into your amazon prime account for, say, $15 each?

I believe the billing address has to be the same, but I'm not positive.  I feel like we used it jointly before we moved in...
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3262 on: June 12, 2014, 02:40:13 pm »
I see us signing up again in fairly short order... we use Amazon for a ton of stuff..

atomic

« Reply #3263 on: June 12, 2014, 02:47:17 pm »
If you guys don't mind, start a google doc and let me know how much you spend on shipping for the year you don't have Prime.  I've always wanted to do it, but I've kept Prime because it makes sense for my situation.  Because I don't live anywhere near family, I used to spend $50-$60 around the holidays alone. 

The woman I live with and I split it because you can add up to 6 people to your Prime account (little known fact?).  For $50 Prime is a steal, but I suspect that even if we combined incomes, it would still make sense because she likes to shop.

Prime doesn't save you any money on shipping.  Shipping is free at Amazon if you spend 35 dollars.  It rarely takes more than 2 days for shipping with regular shipping so the Prime free shipping is a scam.  In fact the last item I ordered came the next day.  Once they get a warehouse in Baltimore you will get everything in a day with the free shipping so prime really has no purpose.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:49:45 pm by atomic »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3264 on: June 12, 2014, 03:27:02 pm »
A lot (probably most) of the stuff I order through Amazon is from third-party Marketplace sources that Prime doesn't cover. Prime is probably okay if you order a lot of mainstream common goods but sucks for obscure and out-of-print stuff.
😐 🎶

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3265 on: June 12, 2014, 03:33:28 pm »

Prime doesn't save you any money on shipping.  Shipping is free at Amazon if you spend 35 dollars.  It rarely takes more than 2 days for shipping with regular shipping so the Prime free shipping is a scam.  In fact the last item I ordered came the next day.  Once they get a warehouse in Baltimore you will get everything in a day with the free shipping so prime really has no purpose.
This has been my experience too. I get the free >$35 shipping and I've always gotten stuff in two days. (The Richmond fulfillment centers probably contribute to this.)
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #3266 on: June 12, 2014, 03:34:27 pm »
yeah, I'm not impressed at all
I am a prime member, but am considering dropping it when my renewal comes up in Sept
as the movies/tv via prime really aren't that great either

for $99 I need to order a lot more stuff from amazon to make up for the free shipping

Now I did pay for Hulu and I am somewhat liking it
One great find was "Moone boy" with Chris O'Dowd

So are they coming out with a Spotify for movies/TV?

Hulu is pretty good as they have a lot of classic tv shows like Brady Bunch, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Cosby Show.  Seems like Netflix pretty much ignores classic tv.  Plus Hulu has shows the day after they come out.  

« Reply #3267 on: June 12, 2014, 04:19:23 pm »
Hulu is pretty good as they have a lot of classic tv shows like Brady Bunch, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Cosby Show.  Seems like Netflix pretty much ignores classic tv.  Plus Hulu has shows the day after they come out.  

I can't stand classic TV as I saw all of those back in the 70s and 80s and have no desire to see them again.
Only show I was happy to find was Sports Night

slack

Yada

« Reply #3268 on: June 12, 2014, 04:35:51 pm »
Amazon caught on to my scheme recently and I was banned forevah!

hutch

« Reply #3269 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39:37 pm »
Amazon caught on to my scheme recently and I was banned forevah!

oh I like schemes...i call them "plays".....pray do tell!  ;D ;D ;D