Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1315630 times)

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4365 on: March 14, 2022, 03:57:52 pm »
I have it on good authority I discovered Khruangbin for this forum. Can someone confirm?
I heard about them from my buddy Cocaine Vince like 4 years ago. Can't say if you broke them on here or not but that's who I heard about them from, not you.

Please introduce me to cocaine Vince.
I was thinking the same thing, this guy sounds like someone I want to know (but will regret it later)
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4366 on: March 14, 2022, 04:09:05 pm »
I have it on good authority I discovered Khruangbin for this forum. Can someone confirm?
I heard about them from my buddy Cocaine Vince like 4 years ago. Can't say if you broke them on here or not but that's who I heard about them from, not you.

I was thinking the same thing, this guy sounds like someone I want to know (but will regret it later)
That's right.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4367 on: March 14, 2022, 04:09:25 pm »

I'll . . . see if I can make that happen?
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4368 on: March 17, 2022, 10:00:39 am »
Pre show pours at Other Half last night were stellar... Maybe 10 people there on a 70 degree evening (how does that happen??). How does that place make money (maybe a question for the beer thread).

Pre show ribeyes at St. Anslem were even better topped with a delicious Old Fashioned.

The new Songbyrd location could be up there as my favorite venue in DC after a few #ass2masks shows at 930. Perfect sightlines, maybe a tad bit too loud, easy access to drinks/bathroom, and best of all... free parking about 100 feet away. Also, not a basement that smells like someone may have taken a shit on the floor.

Ryley Walker's band absolutely ripped... His mid song banter reminded me of manic Ryan Adams banter. A nice 70ish minute set for a Wednesday night. Hope to return soon, but the calendar there appears to be lacking in the near future. Bought a poster.

« Reply #4369 on: March 17, 2022, 10:19:51 am »
Pre show pours at Other Half last night were stellar... Maybe 10 people there on a 70 degree evening (how does that happen??). How does that place make money (maybe a question for the beer thread).
that location is weird, I think in time that area will be booming, but I don't think many people even know what exists behind the Moms where the Hechts building was

the calendar there appears to be lacking in the near future.
no doubt...guess I'm a little out of touch, but out of the 45 shows I think I recognized 1 band
aren't they a part of the Live nation portfolio and get some interesting up-and-coming acts the labels are trying to promote nationally?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:24:19 am by Lt. Corporal-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #4370 on: March 17, 2022, 10:23:36 am »
Where is this? Ft Totten?

Space Freely

« Reply #4371 on: March 17, 2022, 10:24:51 am »
that location is weird, I think in time that area will be booming, but I don't think many people even know what exists behind the Moms where the Hechts building was

I agree. Who lives close enough to walk? And how many people besides me will drive 35 minutes to drink a single DIPA and pick up a couple of four packs? I realize many don't live 35 mins away, but I'm guessing most of the patrons have to drive to get there?

« Reply #4372 on: March 17, 2022, 10:25:58 am »
I think they call it Ivy city
Union Market/Galudet U
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4373 on: March 17, 2022, 10:30:47 am »
Union Market/Galudet U

City Winery, a two minute walk form Other Half, is more or a musical geographic marker than Songbyrd. Though we were thinking of doing a Songbyrd/Other Half combo in the future too.

Yada

« Reply #4374 on: March 17, 2022, 10:37:18 am »
Union Market/Galudet U

City Winery, a two minute walk form Other Half, is more or a musical geographic marker than Songbyrd. Though we were thinking of doing a Songbyrd/Other Half combo in the future too.

Less than a mile + dedicated free parking makes it just as easy.

« Reply #4375 on: March 17, 2022, 10:39:24 am »
Less than a mile + dedicated free parking makes it just as easy.
in most cases I'd be fine walking that, but that is a pretty sparse sketchy place for a late-night walk

OH is in Ivy City
SB is in NoMa
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4376 on: March 28, 2022, 12:32:21 pm »
Went to see Sparks on Saturday and thoughts about the show and band...

My takeaway is the band was spot on and based on some more in depth preshow listening, I'm changing my post doc viewing status from Team Ambivalent to Team Casual Listener leaning towards Team FFS.  The FFS album is one I constantly re-listen to and thought that show was just very slightly better than just Sparks, because it was looser and I really enjoyed the versions they did of each others songs together.

It was a great setlist for both new and long standing fans with a mixture of the "hits" and deep cuts.  I gravitate towards their more "accessible" late 70/ early 80s song.  "Angst In My Pants" is a classic on par with "Teenage Kicks" and "Love Comes In Spurts' for example.

When I say the show was spot on, it felt a bit to precise as I just them to cut loose and rock it out a bit more.  They have an amazing drummer whose been them for awhile, but it felt like he was a bit restrained.  It's also possible that due to one of the touring guitarists not being there due to catching COVID, there would have been more guitar in the mix.  Russel is clearly one of the most underrated vocalists and front man and Ron sure knows his way around a keyboard and creating catchy hooks.

I learned that drummer Steven Nistor whose sideman credentials are extensive, was born in Detroit and a graduate of the Wayne State Jazz Program.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Nistor

All and all I enjoyed the show and the audience clearly did as well..
T.Rex

« Reply #4377 on: March 31, 2022, 08:37:56 am »
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis
First off, thanks to Hutch for getting primo seats, someone even got a pic of us on twitter

also the stage is to the right...he came out into the audience during 'hand of god' and gave quite the rousing sermon

Played a long set almost entirely of Carnage and Ghosteen...probably should have done a little more prep as I'm unfamiliar with both
but didn't really matter as Nick's delivery and Ellis' accompaniment was just captivating

We did get a special treat of Cosmic Dancer - T Rex, which was incredible with Ellis destroying the guitar solo on violin
Henry Lee was killer as was Jubilee Street

One of the best living performers period
only bummer IMO was missing Liam K at Dc9, one of the few new acts I was really itching to see

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4378 on: March 31, 2022, 08:47:22 am »
Yada and I enjoyed the best show in DC Tuesday night. Low key but perfect for the seventh best day of the week. No sermons, thank god. And home by 10:30. Glad you enjoyed the second best show of the night!

« Reply #4379 on: March 31, 2022, 08:51:50 am »
Yada and I enjoyed the best show in DC Tuesday night.
I'm not even sure Liam would agree with that statement if asked
slack