Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1303501 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4875 on: May 01, 2023, 12:37:44 pm »
We drove out to the Carrol Arts Center in Westminster to see one of favorite local Power Pop bands Starbelly do a show.  Been following this band for over 20 years and since they rarely play out live anymore, we jumped at the chance to see them live.  Solid set from them featuring songs from their three albums, plus a couple of covers.  Would have a prefect show, expect one of the three main singers had a chest cold and was sounding a bit rough on the songs he sings lead on, but oh when those four part harmony kicked in it was still fantastic   Venue is a nicely converted old Art Deco movie theater in downtown
T.Rex

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4876 on: May 07, 2023, 09:49:21 pm »
Don't know if anyone here is a Yes fan...I am.  Saw Jon Anderson Saturday at the Lyric.  I was very surprised, as he sounded great and his band was incredible.  If you are going to see a "fake" Yes band then in my opinion having the original singer is better than seeing the other fake Yes band with Steve Howe and a fake lead singer.  I've seen them both and the Jon Anderson version is better in my opinion.  Highly recommend if you are a Yes fan.

Yada

« Reply #4877 on: May 08, 2023, 12:55:21 pm »
According to my notes, I haven't seen The Roots since either 1999 or 2000... anyway, a lot has changed in 23 years!

I saw them last week and it was...

1. Awesome
2. Free
3. Exceeded all expectations

Their band is tight as all hell (not surprising), super entertaining, and Black Thought is still a top 5 MC in the game. Would see again... would maybe even pay.

Space Freely

« Reply #4878 on: May 08, 2023, 02:34:23 pm »
According to my notes, I haven't seen The Roots since either 1999 or 2000... anyway, a lot has changed in 23 years!

1. Awesome
2. Free

Their band is tight as all hell (not surprising), super entertaining, and Black Thought is still a top 5 MC in the game. Would see again... would maybe even pay.

Where were they playing for free and how did I miss that?

Hutch

« Reply #4879 on: May 08, 2023, 02:36:43 pm »
Nice. I saw the Roots once at 930….pretty good…they had Rahzel then

I think the roots is down to two original members, right?

Yada

« Reply #4880 on: May 08, 2023, 02:43:33 pm »
Nice. I saw the Roots once at 930….pretty good…they had Rahzel then

I think the roots is down to two original members, right?

Depends how technical you want to get, but the original Roots were Questlove and Black Thought, so technically, they're the OGs and still there. I'm pretty sure they've had about 30 members over the years.

1. Awesome
2. Free

Where were they playing for free and how did I miss that?

NYC

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4881 on: May 09, 2023, 01:03:13 pm »
Hoodoo Gurus were quite fun last at The Hamilton, no complaints about the setlist as hey played most of their excellent compilation "Electric Soup".  As with many bands playing into their 60s, the vocals were a bit rough at times as Dave Faulkner for certain songs was struggling with his higher range.  Backing vocals were so-so, but they weren't really know for their harmonies. 

Kinda of amazing that besides Faulker the line up included guitarist Brad Sheppard who was with the band for the first album onwards and Richard Grossman who joined the band in 1988 after the third album.  As is often the case the drummer is a recent addition, with Nik Reith who previously played with Radio Birdman and Celibate Rifles.

Pretty sure this will the longest time between seeing a band live for me, 40+ years

Well worth the trip down memory lane and the audience was clearly enjoying the chance to see them live and the sound mix was loud but clear.
T.Rex

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4882 on: May 09, 2023, 01:30:12 pm »
Olivia Jean was great. @_theslaughter_ was 🔥🔥🔥

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4883 on: May 10, 2023, 07:05:31 am »
did you like Leggy, the opener?

(_|_)

Space Freely

« Reply #4884 on: May 10, 2023, 08:14:55 am »
Heartless Bastards were as solid and wonderful as always.

We hung out with two different pairs of friends, and a third friend, who will now be known as Lil' Baby, stayed home because he was "sooo tired." What was remarkable about this is that we don't have *that* many friends, so that was a lot of friends at one show, whose audience wasn't that big to begin with.

Anyway, I was talking to male #1 from friend group #2, and he mentioned that "A Frank Turner show is my sweet spot." For a moment, I thought that though I've met them both, I had never seen this guy and Sidehatch in the same room together...but I'm pretty sure you two are separate people. This guy is blonder. My other thought was how much that statement would make a certain forum boardie cringe.

And male #1, if you're reading this, no offense. We all have different sweet spots. I'll take a German chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and a barrel aged stout.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4885 on: May 10, 2023, 08:58:22 am »
Anyway, I was talking to male #1 from friend group #2, and he mentioned that "A Frank Turner show is my sweet spot." For a moment, I thought that though I've met them both, I had never seen this guy and Sidehatch in the same room together...but I'm pretty sure you two are separate people. This guy is blonder. My other thought was how much that statement would make a certain forum boardie cringe.
Did Frank get an upgrade from milquetoast to cinnamon sugar toast? Good for him.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4886 on: May 10, 2023, 09:37:59 am »
did you like Leggy, the opener?

Leggy was a nice surprise. I had never heard / heard of them before and honestly wasn't expecting much. They were great on their own, and a perfect pairing for Olivia Jean. Their set was a little bit rough because the bass kept cutting out. There was a long troubleshooting break in the middle, but they never really could make it right. They laughed it off and it kinda made their set entertaining, but maybe not in the way they intended.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 09:44:46 am by contradiction »

bearman🐻

« Reply #4887 on: May 10, 2023, 09:56:36 am »
I was in LA last week and caught Hammered Hulls at Zebulon...super cool venue that reminded me a little of the old 9:30 (higher ceiling, same low stage in the corner, no pole), and just have to say that they're one of the best DC bands in years...I love the LP, but as a live band they were absolutely phenomenal. No Mary Timony on bass, it was Brendan Canty, and he really propelled the band. Amazing stuff.

Hutch

« Reply #4888 on: May 10, 2023, 10:21:18 am »
Wow
Canty

nkotb

« Reply #4889 on: May 10, 2023, 10:39:54 am »
Yeah, he's been playing with them a lot lately.  I think she's finishing up a new LP so most non-DC shows she's been skipping.  Agreed though...they absolutely rule.

I was in LA last week and caught Hammered Hulls at Zebulon...super cool venue that reminded me a little of the old 9:30 (higher ceiling, same low stage in the corner, no pole), and just have to say that they're one of the best DC bands in years...I love the LP, but as a live band they were absolutely phenomenal. No Mary Timony on bass, it was Brendan Canty, and he really propelled the band. Amazing stuff.