Author Topic: its short story time.....  (Read 2877 times)

markie

its short story time.....
« on: March 01, 2003, 01:18:00 pm »
<A HREF="http://www.richardhell.com/father.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.richardhell.com/father.html[/url] <P>I fell in love with this short story about his dad and running away. <P>Although most of Hells website is actually rater entertaining.<P>Anyone got any other short stories they want to share?

Ikarus

Re: its short story time.....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 06:07:00 pm »
l.a.m.f.

markie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 06:46:00 pm »
pardon?

bungle bud

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 08:00:00 pm »
that story was too long, i just gave up and had a shit.

Ikarus

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 04:21:00 am »
Like A MoutherFucker.  after the tom verlaine days, hell formed the heartbreakers and did the johnny thunders thing.  lamf is probably their best record.

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 07:28:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> <A HREF="http://www.richardhell.com/father.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.richardhell.com/father.html[/url] <P>I fell in love with this short story about his dad and running away. <P>Although most of Hells website is actually rater entertaining.<P>Anyone got any other short stories they want to share?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I was away for this post.  But while I was away I read the Nick Hornby edited collection of short first person narratives "Speaking With the Angel" - lots of good stuff.  I know it's been out for a while, but I jut got aorund to reading it.  Great contemporary reading.<P>Nick Hornby (brilliant)<BR>Irvine Welsh (disturbingly brilliant as only Welsh can do)<BR>Giles Smith <BR>Colin Firth (not bad for an actor)<BR>Roddy Doyle<BR>Helen Fielding<BR>Dave Eggars (freaked me out)<BR>Robert Harris<BR>Melissa Bank<BR>Zadie Smith<BR>John O'Farrell<BR>Patrick Marber<P>Definitely a good read for someone who likes short stories or has a short attention span but would like to read more.<P>
27>34

markie

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2003, 07:37:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vansmack:<BR><B> <BR>while I was away I read <BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>did you ever read any Iain Banks?

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2003, 07:41:00 pm »
I read that when it came out (2001?) Can't remember which stories i liked best. Some of course were better than others.<P>I was sitting in a tent by myself all day in the pouring rain.<P>  <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vansmack:<BR><B> <BR>I was away for this post.  But while I was away I read the Nick Hornby edited collection of short first person narratives "Speaking With the Angel" - lots of good stuff.  I know it's been out for a while, but I jut got aorund to reading it.  Great contemporary reading.<P>Nick Hornby (brilliant)<BR>Irvine Welsh (disturbingly brilliant as only Welsh can do)<BR>Giles Smith <BR>Colin Firth (not bad for an actor)<BR>Roddy Doyle<BR>Helen Fielding<BR>Dave Eggars (freaked me out)<BR>Robert Harris<BR>Melissa Bank<BR>Zadie Smith<BR>John O'Farrell<BR>Patrick Marber<P>Definitely a good read for someone who likes short stories or has a short attention span but would like to read more.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><p>[This message has been edited by Rhett Miller (edited 03-03-2003).]

walkman

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2003, 08:52:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vansmack:<BR><B> <BR>Zadie Smith<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Her first novel (White Teeth) was completely brilliant.<P>As for short stories, try Tobias Wolff (author of "This Boy's Life").  I think his story collection is called "The Night in Question."  Most excellent.<P>

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2003, 10:18:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> did you ever read any Iain Banks?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm in the middle of the Crow Road (lent to me by your lovely wife in case you have forgotten).  I've been swamped with work and travel so I have opted to read some short stories for the time being as my attention span is limited and my schedule is too hectic to try and read a novel.<P>Thus far I am enjoying it however.
27>34

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2003, 10:25:00 am »
I thought White Teeth started off good, but it lost steam. I gave it up 50 pages before the end, at which point I realized that there was not a single character in the book I could muster an ounce of empathy for.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walkman:<BR><B> Her first novel (White Teeth) was completely brilliant.<P>As for short stories, try Tobias Wolff (author of "This Boy's Life").  I think his story collection is called "The Night in Question."  Most excellent.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 10:33:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walkman:<BR><B> Her first novel (White Teeth) was completely brilliant.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You're the second person to tell me this since I picked up the short story collection.<P>After I get some time, I'll pick it up.  Thanks.
27>34