Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2624984 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #10275 on: May 09, 2024, 10:27:00 am »
I do love this letter, especially that it was sent as a fax.

https://x.com/Nirvana/status/1788363101068509223

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10277 on: May 09, 2024, 03:56:44 pm »
Dennis Thompson, drummer for the MC5

And then there were none and so quickly after Wayne

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2024/05/09/dennis-thompson-mc5-drummer-obituary/73629138007/
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10278 on: May 09, 2024, 09:24:30 pm »
Lifted from bluesky

just remembered when jerry garcia died, some djs at whpk made a bunch of flyers and posted them around chicago saying "if you miss jerry call this number and leave a message about what he meant to you" but put steve albini's phone number on it. one of the all time great pranks.

Further details

So I went to school at the University of Chicago, starting in 1990. At the time, Chicago had a pretty standard (but great) radio station, WHPK 88.5 fm Pride of the South Side 50 booming watts and I eventually got a show there. Albini was a legendary figure in Chicago, 1/

and somehow a previous station manager had written his phone number on a poster or something, and it quickly became a kind of samizadat, because you could prank call and absolutely 100% get a callback reaction from an incandescently angry Albini. Look, we were assholes. 2/

Eventually we sort of stopped, but one day, August 9th, 1995, as it happens, I got a call from a friend who said, and this is clear as day to me, "hey, I need Albini's number and I can't tell you why, yet". So I gave him the number and forgot about it, more or less. 3/

You may remember that date as the day that Jerry Garcia died. The Dead were going to be in Chicago shortly afterwards for a run of shows, and there were thousands of Deadheads milling aimlessly around Grant Park. Garcia's death hit them hard, 4/

and someone came up with an idea to set up a phone line for them to call and leave their condolences for Jerry's family, and favourite memories of him, and the Dead. They then printed up a bunch of fliers and went down to Grant Park and handed them out. 5/

I think you can put the pieces together, here.

Supposedly, Albini had to call the phone company to get his line diverted or something, because the volume of incoming calls immediately made his phone unusable. 6/

Albini telling his version, at 15:20 in the 1997 documentary Out of the Loop:  He calls it "the best prank that I've ever encountered" and offers "hat's off" to the prankster.

https://youtu.be/l9CWxt_dxA4?feature=shared

« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 09:34:03 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #10279 on: May 09, 2024, 09:28:24 pm »
Were Steve Albini and Jerry Garcia enemies?

Maybe they could pull the same stunt on a Steve Albini enemy.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10280 on: May 09, 2024, 09:42:37 pm »
Probably not just seem like this station just liked pranking him and it was all timing due to the GD fans being in town for already scheduled concerts
T.Rex