Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2123608 times)

walkonby

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #2100 on: September 14, 2010, 05:50:42 pm »
i went into a local japanese sushi place.  the owner evidently owns another place somewhere "near" capital hill.  but he always has the this grooving female japanese singing sensation on the speakers belting out classics like gnr's "sweet child o mine", duran duran's "new moon on monday", janet jackson's "nasty".  i want to keep going, besides the fact that the food is killer for where i live (and that's saying alot!), just to hear what totally awesome eighties songs will be transformed next.

nkotb

« Reply #2101 on: September 15, 2010, 02:01:07 pm »
Listening to practically non-stop Smog/Bill Callahan today.  Funny...I tend to gravitate toward the newer stuff, so much so that it's always surprising to me how non-serious/lofi he used to be.  Also, always scoff at the misogynistic claims...until I remember "Be Hit" and most of The Doctor Came At Dawn.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:21:22 pm by nkotb »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2102 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:43 am »

The Smokey Bandits is a 14 piece band that moves around a wide music range, from Gotan Project to Calexico, always using in a really imaginative way elements of the Greek and the Balkan music tradition giving a unique and dynamic character to their sound.

The Smokey Bandits project began on October 2007 in the Quasamoto studio in Athens and was finished on 2009?s February with the last compositions and mixes in Thessaloniki. Their sound is inspired by cult movies soundtracks from directors like Quentin Tarantino, Guy Ritchie, Danny Boyle and Pedro Almodovar. The basic idea behind the Smokey Bandits music is to combine music from different decades or even better to give a modern approach to yesterday?s music so that the new generations could easier appreciate. The second idea is to blend 20th century traditional music from all over the world, starting from Greek - Balkan - Mediterranean and reaching Mexican - Surf - Western - Brazilian and Afro Latin.

The Smokey Bandits @myspace: http://www.myspace.com/smokeybandits

Translation - Awesome Tunage!

http://www.klikrecords.gr/en/artist/smokeybandits/
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2103 on: September 23, 2010, 05:47:17 am »
Marian Call

http://www.mariancall.com/index.php

Was introduced to her music at the Comic-Con W00tstock and have been a fan ever sense.  Three great CDs including http://mariancall.bandcamp.com/album/got-to-fly which has the classic "I'll Still be a Geek After Nobody Thinks it's Chic (the Nerd Anthem)" and songs inspired by Firefly and Battlestar Galatica.

She is in the midst of a DIY tour making appearances in all 50 states, with an upcoming house concert in the area. 
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #2104 on: September 27, 2010, 08:27:55 am »
Has anyone heard the new Deerhunter?  Thoughts?

killsaly

« Reply #2105 on: September 27, 2010, 11:03:39 am »
Has anyone heard the new Deerhunter?  Thoughts?
Im really digging it.  It is probably the most consistent release by them yet.  All of the tracks are good (in my opinion) and it is causing me to go see them at the club now. 

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2106 on: September 29, 2010, 07:46:31 pm »

Solo record from Dean Fertita (The Waxings, The Dead Weather, QOTSA, The Ranconteurs)  co-produced in part by Brendan Benson who helps on some of the songwriting as well.   Recorded with three members of QOTSA.

It's a nice blend of garage rock, psychedelic, british invasion and  lots of heavy fuzzed out guitar.  Think Ranconteurs only much better, Jack and his big ego isn't stomping all over the place.
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #2107 on: October 05, 2010, 06:49:58 pm »
is the convenience of everything there provided and cared for in every single lazy way allowable, thus leaving an expected expectation of everything else better being that way, provided forth by itunes . . . really superior to the days when you walked into music stores where ever you lived or were visiting in from (ah that different city record store excitement) having to deal with staff who were either joy connections for new genres or annoying dorks who won't stop asking you if you are finding everything alright, allowing yourself to follow an ongoing life treasure trail of surprise and superiority when coming across that great next listen to?  i mean i like the fact that the dictionary is online and it makes it easier than the book, but is that the same?  and i am not bagging on itunes, for ihave never used it, never been on it, never downloaded.  i like people.  i like them being around me so i can mentally break them down into sections of psychic guesses at what kind of lives they have as i shop.  but finding music the way it used to be provided, in those shops with great selections or god forbid having to order it from the book, which i know practiced prices that had to pay their outrageous rents just doesn't exist anymore i guess, so what is the point of this post.  oh yeah.

i heard that "babs streisand" song by duck sauce.  don't get it.  you can throw anybody's name in there and it would still be just another pointless song.  like anything das racist do.  the names don't make a band equal creative, guys.  plus i see that superstar kanye is integrating himself into the world of the indierockstar vision.  how odd.  i hear more hip hoppiness on the sirius xmu channel.  too bad the movement is on it's downhill slide like the way that crazy rap music popped a cap in the flannel.  but what will replace indie?  hopefully something with a sitar.  ravi's daughter is underrated.  but goodness i love that sufjan stevens fellow.  never heard of him, never listened to him, never knew.  then i hear the new album, and i go all flamings lips/polyphonic/hotchip/mars volta/dinosaur/widespread in love.  whew.  the end. 

nkotb

« Reply #2108 on: October 08, 2010, 12:44:54 pm »
Listening to those first few Roky Erickson albums...and then imagine my surprise to see him playing the Black Cat!  Anyone know the details (backing band, etc.)?  And how are the albums past Don't Slander Me?  I'm not sure I've heard any newer than that.

Relaxer

« Reply #2109 on: October 08, 2010, 01:35:22 pm »
Nkotb's post made me go to the BC website and check out what's coming up and I was DELIGHTED to see this:

Fri Nov 19- CANYON, VANDAVEER, THE DEADMEN, JOHN BUSTINE, BRANDON BUTLER (to benefit DC Lawyers for Youth) $12 Mainstage 9:00

Canyon was such a great band, and the shows they put on at Iota in around '01 and '02 were so great. Brandon Butler was their singer and apparently they had a wicked falling out, so I don't know the details of what happened and if they patched up. But I'm quite happy.
oword

hutch

« Reply #2110 on: October 08, 2010, 10:43:42 pm »
very good question about roky's backing band.. anyone know?

i'm listening to lonnie liston smith, the Isley Brothers, Bob thompson and kool and the gang tonight...

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2111 on: October 10, 2010, 09:40:08 am »
New Killing Joke streaming right here:

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/music/article/world-premiere-killing-joke-absolute-dissent-full-album-113823

Haven't ordered it yet but it's easily the best release I will purchase all year.  All the praise surrounding it is dead-on.

Cannot wait to get this and see them in December.

walkonby

« Reply #2112 on: October 15, 2010, 01:33:58 pm »
so, for some reason i'm getting into this die antwoord group.  my partner and i watched their video for evil boy yesterday.  i thought it was hard grit in my grey poupon . . . my partner said, "wow . . . they just proved you don't need to have talent to be a musician nowadays."  i thought that was funny.

nkotb

« Reply #2113 on: October 15, 2010, 02:47:44 pm »
Listening to way too much Tyrannosaurus Rex/T. Rex today.  Earlier felt like going to the Renaissance Festival; now feel like wearing silver high-heeled boots and gyrating wildly.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2114 on: October 16, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

How did I miss this coming out last year, mighty fine record this after one listen...
T.Rex