Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179672 times)

K8teebug

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2865 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:40 am »
too many men wear jeans, and wear them all the time.  i have never found them professional looking at all.  i prefer men who wear a nice pair of slacks or chinos everyday.  so much more distinguished and show a desire to be taken seriously.

Slacks is such a strange word.

I don't like men who wear chinos.  But slacks are ok.  Chinos make me sad.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2866 on: January 23, 2014, 11:38:33 am »
i could have said, 'office casual dress pant' . . . but that took too much effort.

James Ford

« Reply #2867 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:56 am »
What is the difference between chinos and slacks?

As long as it doesn't have pleats, it's all good.

too many men wear jeans, and wear them all the time.  i have never found them professional looking at all.  i prefer men who wear a nice pair of slacks or chinos everyday.  so much more distinguished and show a desire to be taken seriously.

Slacks is such a strange word.

I don't like men who wear chinos.  But slacks are ok.  Chinos make me sad.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:42:33 am by James Ford »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2868 on: January 23, 2014, 11:43:51 am »
this is what i just read:

"it's mostly the material and the cut.

slacks can be found in many different fabrics, probably the most common of which is wool (at least for a nice pair). chinos and khakis are pretty much the same thing, and they're usually cotton.

slack also traditionally have pleats and cuffs (although the new style is flat front for everything) while khakis are flat front.

just think of slacks are more dressy. picture your typical suit pants. those are pretty much slacks. khakis are casual and can be worn with sneakers and a tshirt."

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2869 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:40 am »
Fantastic question, Rhett. It's mostly the material and the dressy-ness. Slacks are commonly made of wool and cut like "suit pants." Chinos are more commonly made of cotton. If it has pleats, its probably slacks. If its flat-front, that's generally chinos. There's no hard and fast lines of delineation, but generally if it's dressier, you call them slacks, and if its more casual, its chinos.

I use the sneakers and a t-shirt test. If you would look out of place with societal norms wearing the pants with sneakers and a t-shirt, its slacks. If you would see public university students wearing the pants with sneakers and a t-shirt, they're chinos (although probably called "khakis" for some reason.)
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2870 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:42 am »
Can the world please stop talking about Justin Bieber?  Thank you.

FUKIT

atomic

« Reply #2871 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:47 am »
Fantastic question, Rhett. It's mostly the material and the dressy-ness. Slacks are commonly made of wool and cut like "suit pants." Chinos are more commonly made of cotton. If it has pleats, its probably slacks. If its flat-front, that's generally chinos. There's no hard and fast lines of delineation, but generally if it's dressier, you call them slacks, and if its more casual, its chinos.

I use the sneakers and a t-shirt test. If you would look out of place with societal norms wearing the pants with sneakers and a t-shirt, its slacks. If you would see public university students wearing the pants with sneakers and a t-shirt, they're chinos (although probably called "khakis" for some reason.)

Do people still wear pleated pants?  I thought those went out of style a long time ago.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2872 on: January 23, 2014, 11:54:45 am »
Levi 517 Orange Tab and a t-shirt. 
FUKIT

« Reply #2873 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:16 am »
Do people still wear pleated pants?  I thought those went out of style a long time ago.
There was, just over a week ago, an expose about San Francisco 49ers coach, Jim Harbaugh, wearing pleated pants from Walmart. He promptly lost the NFC Title Game and had his fellow Michigan alumni revoke his "Michigan Man" card, as a result.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2874 on: January 23, 2014, 11:57:07 am »
i see, my overuse, of commas, is affecting you.

« Reply #2875 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:20 pm »
i see, my overuse, of commas, is affecting you.
My use of commas is appropriate and consistent with my historic writings.

I wrote:

There was, just over a week ago, an expose about San Francisco 49ers coach, Jim Harbaugh, wearing pleated pants from Walmart.

In this instance, just over a week ago and Jim Harbaugh are parenthetical elements. Both of them could be omitted and the sentence would still make sense -- There was an expose about the San Francisco 49ers coach wearing pleated pants from Walmart. -- however the addition of those elements gives additional detail. I suppose one could argue my commas around Jim Harbaugh are, at worst, not necessary as the appositive and the words it identifies are so closely linked, but they're certainly not excessive and still in line with the Oxford Style guide.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2876 on: January 23, 2014, 12:04:24 pm »
what, ever

atomic

« Reply #2877 on: January 23, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »
What do peole think of these dual toiltets per stall at the Winter Olympic stadiums.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2878 on: January 23, 2014, 12:10:03 pm »
What do peole think of these dual toiltets per stall at the Winter Olympic stadiums.

I don't give a shit.
FUKIT

« Reply #2879 on: January 23, 2014, 12:12:23 pm »
I don't give a shit.
Parcopresis suffers of the world, unite and take over!
LVMH