Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1898739 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3705 on: September 15, 2015, 01:37:54 pm »
Whoa, whoa, whoa. We're going to have to have a whole side conversation about what constitutes a Rom-Com. Clueless and Groundhog's Day? That sublist of four? That's not really what I think of when I think Rom-Com.

Wikipedia

Romantic comedy films are films with light-hearted, humorous plotlines, centered on romantic ideals such as that true love is able to surmount most obstacles.  One dictionary definition is "a funny movie, play, or television program about a love story that ends happily".  Another definition states that its "primary distinguishing feature is a love plot in which two sympathetic and well-matched lovers are united or reconciled".

----

Remove the witty banter from Clueless and Groundhog Day and you have essentially, romantic comedies.  The entire premise of Groundhog Day is that only love can break his recurring nightmare.  Clueless is about her quest to find a boy when the "right guy" lives in her house the entire time. 

Sorry man, but those are rom-com's, just with better writers.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3706 on: September 15, 2015, 02:02:52 pm »
Groundhog's Day, I'll give you pretty easily. Clueless, I really don't think the love story is the primary thing, but I'm not going to argue about that.

I don't see how Her or Lost In Translation fits that at, they're far from lighthearted nor are characters particularly sympathetic.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3707 on: September 21, 2015, 03:01:22 pm »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3708 on: September 21, 2015, 03:23:36 pm »
I don't get angry often, but VW/Audi %$^&ed with the wrong guy on this one.  I will have their head.
27>34

« Reply #3709 on: September 21, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »
I don't get angry often, but VW/Audi %$^&ed with the wrong guy on this one.  I will have their head.
Hopefully you don't have any of their stock, as I referenced in the Dropping Like Flies thread.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3710 on: September 21, 2015, 03:33:23 pm »
Hopefully you don't have any of their stock, as I referenced in the Dropping Like Flies thread.

Nope.  Just a once proud Audi A3 TDI owner with 80,000 miles on it, that might never meet CA Emissions standards.
27>34

« Reply #3711 on: September 21, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »

Nope.  Just a once proud Audi A3 TDI owner with 80,000 miles on it, that might never meet CA Emissions standards.
is it a diesel?

And what if you converted to Bio-diesel? would that make a difference?
You are in the bay area, it's pretty easy to get there
slack

« Reply #3712 on: September 21, 2015, 03:42:15 pm »

is it a diesel?
I'm not a car guy by a long shot, but I think TDI means diesel?
LVMH

« Reply #3713 on: September 21, 2015, 03:56:45 pm »

is it a diesel?
I'm not a car guy by a long shot, but I think TDI means diesel?
I'm not either...but I have this friend named google who get's me all the answers

Turbo Direct Injection

but...it does seem that also correlates to it being diesel
slack

vansmack

« Reply #3714 on: September 21, 2015, 04:06:40 pm »
TDI = Turbocharged Direct Injection which are used to power VW/Audi diesel cars.

I drive too many miles to use biofuel and while conversion is easy, finding biofuel is absolutely not worth the hassle.

Audi is going to have to do something about this....
27>34

ggw

« Reply #3715 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:19 pm »
The first thing Audi is going to do is find a new tagline.  "Truth in Engineering" won't fly so well anymore.

ggw

vansmack

« Reply #3717 on: September 21, 2015, 05:28:38 pm »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-21/streaming-music-passes-physical-sales-for-first-time

And the most important part - the download market is next.  As soon as the streaming market does that, the focus will be on quality and the competition will move to who who has the highest quality streams available.

Thanks for sharing.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3718 on: September 21, 2015, 05:42:52 pm »
The first thing Audi is going to do is find a new tagline.  "Truth in Engineering" won't fly so well anymore.

You're killing it today.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>