Author Topic: DC9 Employees Beat Man to Death  (Read 67087 times)

Ardamus

• Ardamus
Re: DC9 Employees Beat Man to Death
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2010, 05:42:27 pm »
i was there for it. pretty brutal. a good portion of the Ethiopian community was there to protest. one Ethiopian lady was passing out a flyer something that happened to some kid in PG County; that was sad, too, but i was damn, what does that have to do with this? anyways, it was upsetting but until Dec. 1st comes around, looks like there's still a chance.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:53:04 pm by Ardamus »

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2010, 07:53:06 pm »
Ardamus, you were there?   I saw a report that the hearing room was filled with DC9 supporters, and that kind of left me wondering what they were doing there -- just watching?   Chanting?   And also what they hoped to achieve.   
_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2010, 08:15:06 pm »
is ethipioan food scary to just walk on in and eat, if you've never ever been to one before?  i keep hearing about this bread stuff you eat everything with.  what should i go for; is there a dish which rules the cuisine?  i'm so fascinated with the country of ethiopia.  religion aspects from future's past and the present cracking falut forming the next, new ocean.  neato.

• my blog
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2010, 08:28:02 pm »
Walkie, it's just piles of different colored stews.   For the uninitiated or undecisive there's a sampler platter.   I usually go for the veggie or beef sampler.   

The one dish to avoid is kifto (raw ground beef).

_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2010, 08:37:28 pm »
is ethipioan food scary to just walk on in and eat, if you've never ever been to one before?  i keep hearing about this bread stuff you eat everything with.  what should i go for; is there a dish which rules the cuisine?  i'm so fascinated with the country of ethiopia.  religion aspects from future's past and the present cracking falut forming the next, new ocean.  neato.

nope, not scary at all and highly recommended.  the bread is called injera.  check out the pic here, it's what your dish will look like.  in terms of what to order, every ethereopian joint that i've been to has a "mixed dish" option where you get a taste of several things (usually there is a vegetarian and carnivore option).  be aware that certain things can be very spicy.

ethiopian cuisine is one of the many thing i love DC for.  
<sig>

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2010, 12:43:31 am »
Do you guys think it is true that the owners of DC9 are still paying rent/mortage on the property despite being closed? If so, dear Ethiopian community: It wasn't because of his ethnicity, it was because he was an asshole. These guys were cleared of all charges. Dumb is supposed to hurt.

• my blog
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2010, 08:21:23 am »
I think everyone knows it's not because of his ethnicity.  Where the race/ethnic arguments come in is that people tend to feel that if this were reversed, and a bunch of black dudes had jumped on a white guy and he had died, never in a million years would charges have been dropped regardless of circumstances.   

There may also be the feeling that this guy's death isn't being treated as seriously by the authorities as it would have been were he white.     While I don't think that's the case in this particular circumstance, that sentiment is understandable based on precedence.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:25:38 am by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2010, 09:12:18 am »
Ardamus, you were there?   I saw a report that the hearing room was filled with DC9 supporters, and that kind of left me wondering what they were doing there -- just watching?   Chanting?   And also what they hoped to achieve.   

DC9 Supporters were in the ABRA hearing mainly; there wasn't any shouting or chanting any of the DC9 supporters. Most of the Ethiopians were outside protesting and some came inside to sit down and watch the hearing.

Grodsky was really on this tip about the scenarios that played out on the issue of citizens arrest and etc. Also, the problem was that the newest security plan that was presented was not reviewed by the board or the attorney general. On top of that, the fact that the reports from the medical examiner have not been released didn't help either. And no one had an answer for when those reports would've been received.

They also questions whether the formerly alleged suspects would be able to work at DC9 again. Even if the charges were dropped, they were eluding to the fact that the investigation was not completed and the charges could be reinstated if new facts were found. But at this point, in my opinion, I think there's some stalling going on with this report.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:51:33 pm by Ardamus »

walkonby

« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2010, 11:07:27 am »
is it just me, or does ethiopian food look like that village scene from the temple of doom, where willie refuses the food?

James Ford

« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2010, 11:37:38 am »
Count me as not a fan of Ethiopian food.

If a bunch of hillbillies from West Virginia threw down a melange of stews and told you to eat it with your hands, nobody in DC would bite, save for a few tea partiers. Tell them that it's "Ethiopian", and DC dwellers are all over it like flies on shit.

• my blog
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2010, 11:44:15 am »
It's unlikely the hillbillies would use such a subtle and pleasing array of spices in their food, though.
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2010, 12:32:00 pm »
If a bunch of hillbillies from West Virginia threw down a melange of stews and told you to eat it with your hands, nobody in DC would bite,

some of us can see beyond where it comes from and can judge food on its own merits.  ethiopian is downright tasty, imho.  and if eating with your hands is an issue, using a fork is always an option.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »
I Feel Safe at DC9
THE CAMPAIGN TO REOPEN DC9

DC9 was closed on Friday October 15, 2010 following a rush to judgement, a spam of misinformation, media frenzy, and general lack of facts pertaining to charges placed against 5 employees.   The charges were quickly reduced and then finally dropped entirely.  DC9 stands by its total and complete innocence, and any wrong doing whatsoever. A tragic death occurred, but not at our hands.  For 6 years, DC9 was one the most well respected, dearly beloved, established live music venues not only in DC, but on the east coast. We were friends of the neighborhood and supporters of the community.   We want to reopen our doors and continue to operate safely and respectfully as we always have. 
Email: abra@dc.gov , jim@grahamwone.com
Send to ABC board and council members
http://aboutdcgov.dc.gov/DC/About+DC.Gov/Feedback
Subject: I feel safe at DC9

i got this in an e-mail from the RnR... twice.  in the first version, they wrote "A traffic death occurred, but not at our hands."  they correct it to "tragic" in the second transmission, copied above, but for a while i was wondering if they were changing their story.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2010, 02:06:45 pm »
I think everyone knows it's not because of his ethnicity.  Where the race/ethnic arguments come in is that people tend to feel that if this were reversed, and a bunch of black dudes had jumped on a white guy and he had died, never in a million years would charges have been dropped regardless of circumstances.   

There may also be the feeling that this guy's death isn't being treated as seriously by the authorities as it would have been were he white.     While I don't think that's the case in this particular circumstance, that sentiment is understandable based on precedence.
2 black dudes, 2 white guys, 1 hispanic dude totally hated this 1 black guy and kicked the piss out of him for no reason.

I get the community outcry. If 2 white guys, 2 black guys, and a hispanic guy kicked my ass, it would have been because I was hispanic. Not because I was a drunken asshole and threw 1, no, 2 bricks through the window of the place they worked after it was closed.

I feel for the family and the community, but the community is taking what they want with the information.
‼‼?‼‼

eltee

« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2010, 03:01:10 pm »

They also questions whether the formerly alleged suspects would be able to work at DC9 again.
I thought I read the employees were let go and the (Co-?)manager resigned?