Author Topic: DC9 Employees Beat Man to Death  (Read 67082 times)

eltee

Re: DC9 Employees Beat Man to Death
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2010, 03:03:48 pm »

i got this in an e-mail from the RnR... twice.  in the first version, they wrote "A traffic death occurred, but not at our hands."  they correct it to "tragic" in the second transmission, copied above, but for a while i was wondering if they were changing their story.
Freudian slip? ;P
So, what did happen? Either I stopped following or the stories provided nothing new - the charges were dropped and that was that, no details or determination of the cause of death.. More will be revealed later?

James Ford

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2010, 03:06:00 pm »
While I stand by my original statement, it was a case of lazy writing. Hence, i'll offer this alternative statement:

If a bunch of hillbillies from West Virginia threw down a melange of stews and told you to eat it with your hands, nobody in DC would bite, save for a few tea partiers. Tell them that it's "Ethiopian", and DC dwellers are all over it like Barney Frank on a twinkie.

Count me as not a fan of Ethiopian food.

If a bunch of hillbillies from West Virginia threw down a melange of stews and told you to eat it with your hands, nobody in DC would bite, save for a few tea partiers. Tell them that it's "Ethiopian", and DC dwellers are all over it like flies on shit.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2010, 03:15:26 pm »
I think everyone knows it's not because of his ethnicity.  Where the race/ethnic arguments come in is that people tend to feel that if this were reversed, and a bunch of black dudes had jumped on a white guy and he had died, never in a million years would charges have been dropped regardless of circumstances.   

There may also be the feeling that this guy's death isn't being treated as seriously by the authorities as it would have been were he white.     While I don't think that's the case in this particular circumstance, that sentiment is understandable based on precedence.
2 black dudes, 2 white guys, 1 hispanic dude totally hated this 1 black guy and kicked the piss out of him for no reason.

I get the community outcry. If 2 white guys, 2 black guys, and a hispanic guy kicked my ass, it would have been because I was hispanic. Not because I was a drunken asshole and threw 1, no, 2 bricks through the window of the place they worked after it was closed.

I feel for the family and the community, but the community is taking what they want with the information.

I actually don't think you feel for the family and community, or you wouldn't be referring to a guy who didn't deserve to die as a "drunken asshole."   Even if it's true, it sounds like you basically believe he got what he deserved.
_\|/_

ggw

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2010, 03:43:13 pm »
While I stand by my original statement, it was a case of lazy writing. Hence, i'll offer this alternative statement:

If a bunch of hillbillies from West Virginia threw down a melange of stews and told you to eat it with your hands, nobody in DC would bite, save for a few tea partiers. Tell them that it's "Ethiopian", and DC dwellers are all over it like Barney Frank on a twinkie.

If a bunch of hillbillies from West Virginia threw down a melange of stews and told you to eat it with your hands, nobody in DC would bite, save for a few tea partiers. Tell them that it's "Ethiopian", and DC dwellers are all over it like flies on shit.

Is "twinkie" a euphemism for "penis"?

James Ford

« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2010, 03:51:43 pm »
Not quite, my friend. Ask walkonby. He can tell you.

Is "twinkie" a euphemism for "penis"?

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »
I think everyone knows it's not because of his ethnicity.  Where the race/ethnic arguments come in is that people tend to feel that if this were reversed, and a bunch of black dudes had jumped on a white guy and he had died, never in a million years would charges have been dropped regardless of circumstances.   

There may also be the feeling that this guy's death isn't being treated as seriously by the authorities as it would have been were he white.     While I don't think that's the case in this particular circumstance, that sentiment is understandable based on precedence.
2 black dudes, 2 white guys, 1 hispanic dude totally hated this 1 black guy and kicked the piss out of him for no reason.

I get the community outcry. If 2 white guys, 2 black guys, and a hispanic guy kicked my ass, it would have been because I was hispanic. Not because I was a drunken asshole and threw 1, no, 2 bricks through the window of the place they worked after it was closed.

I feel for the family and the community, but the community is taking what they want with the information.

Pretty much my point. The details are being overlooked and its being made into a big mess.

nkotb

« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:19 pm »
I think the real crime here is that my ability to get drunk and have a good time at a bar is being totally squashed by some dude's death.  DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2010, 04:17:22 pm »

I actually don't think you feel for the family and community, or you wouldn't be referring to a guy who didn't deserve to die as a "drunken asshole."   Even if it's true, it sounds like you basically believe he got what he deserved.
I don't think he deserved anything, what I'm saying is that the community is making it seem like, he was walking by himself at 2:30am whistling to the birds and minding his own business. He was drunk, he threw 2 bricks through a window he may or may not have known had people in it. I absolutely don't think the man deserved to die, or even a beating, I like Dc9 but if he was beaten over a broken window, come on that's out of line. At the same time, if someone smashed in my window, I'd be a little steamed, especially after someone had....smashed my window earlier too. I just wish Dc9 wasn't being so villainized in this situation and that the truth would come out. I believe in justice, but nothing was done wrong to this man and it should have been said that he didn't die from being beaten to death in the middle of a rather busy interesection at 2:30am on a Thursday night. I do feel for his family, that's awful, for their sake I hope the truth comes out.
‼‼?‼‼

walkonby

« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2010, 04:23:14 pm »

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2010, 09:24:58 am »
I just wish Dc9 wasn't being so villainized in this situation and that the truth would come out. I believe in justice, but nothing was done wrong to this man and it should have been said that he didn't die from being beaten to death in the middle of a rather busy interesection at 2:30am on a Thursday night. I do feel for his family, that's awful, for their sake I hope the truth comes out.

Sorry to have cast aspersions.  I don't think DC9 is being particularly villainized in this case... it is pretty normal for bars/clubs to be shut down for a while when a death is associated with them.    It's weird that the ME's report is taking so long, but I hope it eventually clears the air one way or another.

Meanwhile, I think DC9's supporters are not helping their own case by aggressively lobbying for a reopening.   This article sums it up nicely, I think...

http://dcentric.wamu.org/2010/11/before-we-do-anything-though-lets-help-dc9-re-open/
_\|/_

Bags

« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2010, 01:47:54 pm »

They also questions whether the formerly alleged suspects would be able to work at DC9 again.
I thought I read the employees were let go and the (Co-?)manager resigned?
Bill is a co-owner, so he couldn't just resign.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2010, 02:30:03 pm »
why not?  you can own a business without working there.

it's not what one would expect from a club owner, especially a small club like DC9, but it's possible.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2010, 03:00:08 pm »
why not?  you can own a business without working there.

And sitting in on the drums when your friends are in town is not what I would call "working there"
27>34

Chulahoma