Author Topic: The Armageddon Election 2024 Or Apocalypse 2024  (Read 55706 times)

nkotb

Re: The Armageddon Election 2024 Or Apocalypse 2024
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2023, 09:36:07 am »
Ok, let's put aside for the second that Biden is a) the president of the US, and b) the head of his party, and assume he has no power to pressure anyone on his side of the aisle to fall in line.  Seems odd, given history has shown that to be achievable and the Republicans seem to have no problem doing it, but let's present we live in Hutch world.

He'd still have plenty of things he could have done if he had a spine and wasn't so tied to bullshit norms and formality.  He could've overruled the parliamentarian and given people the $15 minimum wage Dems have been promising.  He could've used the Higher Ed Act to actually make good on his campaign promise to forgive during his campaign.  He could've declared the climate collapse as a national emergency. 

Not saying any of those guarantees of success or even without legal challenges, but he simply doesn't even want to try. 

Being president of the US rules...most powerful person in the world who has exactly zero ability to influence things for the better!

There you go again….there is a big difference between the Biden presidency and the Trump presidency. If you don’t see that…

I mean what do you people want? He should have kidnapped and tortured Manchin until he got his vote on the climate change bill?

Hutch

« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2023, 09:41:48 am »
Gavroche had me at hello but you lose me…..

Maybe have Gavroche present your thoughts for you?

nkotb

« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2023, 09:44:43 am »
Is your hat on too tight?

Hutch

« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2023, 09:47:19 am »
I been going hatless lately….just not feeling it

Baseball cap is loose.

« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2023, 10:20:35 am »
Beshear 2024!
after hearing his acceptance speech for a state like KY...he has potential as a national candidate
he has my interest piqued.

other than the Dems don't want a white male,
he checks a lot of boxes and got re-elected as Gov in a state that has Mitch/Rand and voted Trump by 30 points in 2016 and 26 points in 2020

Almost all the down-ticket votes went R in KY

edit...not sure why I say "I must say" so much
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 10:46:03 am by beseech-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2023, 10:22:41 am »
I been going hatless lately….just not feeling it
That's why no one got my Hutch Halloween costume...I wore a top hat to a rock show
slack

Hutch

« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2023, 10:37:08 am »
I think after last night we won’t see Democratic candidates deviate much from focusing on abortion rights/anti-MAGA “extremism”

In other words it will all be about painting the Republicans as scary and crazy.

Ideally Democrats in swing states will put abortion rights initiatives and measures on the ballot in 2024 to drive up the Biden vote and depress the Republican share.

I have to be honest that having seen the ads Democrats ran in Virginia I find this a bit depressing but that’s politics.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 10:40:05 am by Hutch »

Space Freely

« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2023, 11:02:32 am »
Meanwhile, back in DC...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-approves-bill-slashing-pete-buttigiegs-salary-1-dollar

The House approved a measure late Tuesday that would slash Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg's taxpayer-funded government salary to just $1.
The bill — which was introduced by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga. — was passed via voice vote Tuesday as an amendment to the 2024 Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act, the standalone funding bill for the General Services Administration, Securities and Exchange Commission and other related agencies.
"I’m proud to announce my amendment to FIRE Pete Buttigieg just PASSED the House. Pothole Pete staged fake bike rides to the White House and used private planes funded by taxpayers to receive awards for the way certain people have sex," Greene said in a social media post Tuesday. "American taxpayers should not be on the hook for paying for his lavish trips or his salary."
"Pete Buttigieg doesn’t do his job. It’s all about fake photo ops and taxpayer-funded private jet trip to accept LGBTQ awards for him," Greene added. "I’m happy my amendment passed, but he doesn’t deserve a single penny."

« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2023, 11:12:15 am »
"used private planes funded by taxpayers to receive awards for the way certain people have sex," Greene said
ok, now you have my attention...are their any opening for this job?
slack

gavroche

« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2023, 12:45:13 pm »
The thing is republican's love to tout the spending of federal money for their states/districts which they voted against.  how is biden suppose to counter that...

also, as someone pointed out where was the media coverage of Biden of announcing 16 Billion dollars in infrastructure spending in Delaware the other day.  oh wait i'm being told it was more important to provide coverage of someone throwing yet another public tantrum in a courtroom, my bad

I'm not sure if the politics of spending and government awards work anymore. Wealth inequality and the sense that the system is rigged might have just undone it all.

If the Democrats really wanted that though, it would be smarter to direct spending to winnable states.  Instead Democrats keep passing bills (like the IRA and IIJA) where the benefits go predominantely to red states and where they won't get credit no matter what they do. Trump did just the opposite; the bills that has pased going overwhelmingly to his base and targeted his oponents (SALT for example). It's for sure asymetrical. One side is trying to break government in order to take control of it.

I don't really know how Reagan was able to remain pupular despite high inflation, but even if wages were keeping up with inflation, it's just psychologically battering to go to the store and be shocked every time you get the bill.  Probably because the economic experts liked his solution of tax cuts and rewards for business and so the narrative was that Regan was fighting it. 

I don't think the Republicans really care about touting wins though.  For them it's really about culture wars and big ticket issues. I don't think Biden is particularly good at appearing like he's going to the matt for a cause (even abortion).  He might win as a result of not alienating anyone, but it's a hard way to ever have real popularity
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 12:46:50 pm by gavroche »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2023, 01:15:13 pm »
Apparently the Transportation bill that look at me MTG got that amendment on, is dead in the water because there aren’t enough vote for it…

But, she’ll go on ever right outlet can spewing this “ achievement”

It’s a darn good thing that they elected such a strong leader… the shutdown will be long and nasty

And I like today’s revelation that reason Johnson isn’t reporting an savings account is because his money isn’t in interest earning ones.. because that isn’t shady at all
T.Rex

« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2023, 02:24:13 pm »

If the Democrats really wanted that though, it would be smarter to direct spending to winnable states.  Instead Democrats keep passing bills (like the IRA and IIJA) where the benefits go predominantely to red states and where they won't get credit no matter what they do. Trump did just the opposite; the bills that has pased going overwhelmingly to his base and targeted his oponents (SALT for example).

this is 100% accurate.
Apparently, the IRA is going to benefit states like FL and TX so much, that these states almost don't have to collect taxes there will be so much in the coffer
and not one Red voter in those states will 'reward' the dems for this largesse

but I'm not sure I agree this is what the Dems should do, but it wouldn't hurt to do some 'good things' for the 8 battleground states in the next year

Apparently the Transportation bill that look at me MTG got that amendment on, is dead in the water because there aren’t enough vote for it…
it's all for show and saying they 'did something' when the reality is they did nothing
if it's not going to even pass the house, it's like shouting into the void (or your preferred echo chamber)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 02:26:34 pm by beseech-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2023, 03:19:45 pm »
He could've overruled the parliamentarian and given people the $15 minimum wage Dems have been promising.  He could've used the Higher Ed Act to actually make good on his campaign promise to forgive during his campaign.  He could've declared the climate collapse as a national emergency. 
Son, the adults are talking, why don't you run along?
LVMH