Author Topic: The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible  (Read 31690 times)

TheDirector217

Re: The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by earth intruder aka j. marshmallow:
  No one has mentioned this yet, but I absolutely love watching Sarah Neufeld when she plays the violin and dances at the same time...and she's very cute too! *sigh*
Yeah.  She's nice.  Got some nice close-ups of her at the show.  Regine's kinda cute, too.  In a Natalie Merchant sorta way.  Regardless, they can both get it.  Simultaneously, if they so prefer.    :D

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »
I must live in a weird part of the country where Arcade Fire proselytizing and evangelizing are outlawed.  Are they REALLY that good?  Really?  Doesn't this whole thing smack of flavor-of-the-month?  Does anybody really think they'll be around in three years?  They seem to me like a European-American Sly & the Family Stone who read David Eggers and drink a lot of tea.  Really?  The Arcade Fire?  "The Neon Bible?"  "Funeral?"  You're not all distracted by the multiple members and the weird instruments are you?  If that's the case, then where's all the love for Mercury Rev?

This reminds me of a couple years ago when life experiences were rated thustly:

3.  The greatest love you've ever experienced.

2.  Total consciousness with the universe.

1.  The new Wilco CD.

It sounds a lot like "Kid A" doesn't it?  And "Kid A" is all very well and good but I preferred Radiohead when they released "The Bends."  You know, back when they'd release songs with stuff like melodies and tunes.

Brian

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian_Walalce:
  They seem to me like a European-American Sly & the Family Stone who read David Eggers and drink a lot of tea.
That's why we love em!

Seriously, they are one of a few bands I know where I cant think of a really horrible song that they have in their catalogue. Yeah, some songs may not have the initial blowup that others have (like how "Ocean of Noise" can seem totally boring on a first listen, compared to songs like "No Cars Go" or "Intervention", but when you really get into it, it's REALLY well written, and it's got a lot of force behind it...

And hey, Funeral was one of the most emotionally charged, well written, and just overall fulfilling records of this decade. It all boils down to just recognizing talent when you see it. Get with it!
Woof.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »
I do not care for The Arcade Fire.  They insist upon themselves.

Peter:  But, since weâ??re all going to die, thereâ??s one more secret I feel I have to share with you. I did not care for The Godfather.
 Lois: What!
 Peter: Did not care for The Godfather.
 Lois: Uh!
 Chris: How can you even say that dad?
 Peter: Didnâ??t like, did not like it.
 Lois: Peter, itâ??s so good, itâ??s like the perfect movie.
 Peter: This is what everyone always says, whenever someone saysâ?¦
 Chris: Robert De Niro, Al Pacinoâ?¦
 Peter: Iâ?¦
 Chris: You never seeâ?¦ ROBERT DUVALL!
 Peter: Fine, fine actor, did not like the movie.
 Brian: Why not?
 Peter: Did notâ?¦ couldnâ??t get into it.
 Lois: Explain yourself, what didnâ??t you like about it?
 Peter: It insists upon itself, Lois.
 Lois: What?
 Peter: It insists upon itself.
 Lois: What does that even mean?
 Chris: Cause it has a valid point to make, itâ??s insistent!
 Peter: Cause it takes forever getting in, and you spend, you spend like six and a half hours, and then, you - I canâ??t even get through, I havenâ??t even seen the ending.
 Chris: Youâ??ve never seen the ending?
 Stewie: Ah, how can you say you donâ??t like it if you havenâ??t even given it a chance?
 Lois: I agree with Stewie, itâ??s not really fair.
 Chris: Outrageous.
 Peter: Iâ??ve tried on three separate occasions to get through it, and I get to the scene where all the guys are sitting around on the easy chairsâ?¦
 Lois: Yes, itâ??s a great scene, I love that scene.
 Peter: Itâ??s not a great scene, I have no idea what theyâ??re talking about, itâ??s like their speaking a different language. Thatâ??s where I lose interest and fade away.
 Chris: Theyâ??re speaking Italian!
 Lois: The language theyâ??re speaking is the language of subtly, something you donâ??t understand.
 Peter: I love The Money Pit. That is my answer to that statement.
 Lois: Exactly.
 Peter: Well, there you go.
 Lois: Whatever.
 Chris: I like that movie, too.

I love The Fratellis.  That is my answer to that statement.

Brian

vansmack

« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by phillidan:
  If anyone ends up with an mp3 of the show, or a place to download it, could you post it? I would love to hear it again.
Can't be much different than this approved recording of the New York show from earlier in the tour (courtesy of NPR, PBR, AF, and some venue in NY):

http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/asc/live/20070217_asc_arcadefire.mp3
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »
might have missed it, but i didn't see the WaPo review posted here... seems to confirm the life-altering qualities of the show:

Arcade Fire: A Live Wire At Constitution Hall

By J. Freedom du Lac
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Sunday, May 6, 2007; Page D01

Arcade Fire ringleader Win Butler is a big man with big ideas -- a towering presence at 6 feet 5, with a penchant for making epic, exalted music. There's an undeniable grandeur and a thrilling vastness to the songs Butler performs with his Montreal-based band, but it's no empty bombast: In the studio and especially in concert, Arcade Fire's emotional music plays as deeply meaningful, soul-stirring art.

Friday night, performing at Constitution Hall, the indie-rock idols aimed for immensity, as always, and had little trouble hitting their mark. The 10 musicians played everything from guitars and drums to violas, xylophones, hurdy-gurdies and even a miniature pipe organ while whipping up a crescendoing super-size sound that tended to take the enraptured audience skyward.

Given their construct and the impassioned intensity and freneticism with which they were played, nearly all of the 15 songs sounded capable of providing rock-and-roll catharsis, if one were in search of such a thing.

And who wasn't? A ticket to an Arcade Fire show represents the possibility, if not the probability, of being transported -- of transcendence. It's the reason tickets to the 3,700-seat venue sold out in less than an hour. It's also why the band is becoming increasingly known as one of the most vital live acts in contemporary popular music -- a sort of modern-day art-rock answer to Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, whose galloping music was echoed in Arcade Fire's superlative set-closer, "Keep the Car Running." (The Talking Heads are another important touchstone.)

While the music was lofty, the lyrics weren't all inherently uplifting. "Mirror, mirror on the wall / Show me where them bombs will fall," Butler sang during the opening "Black Mirror." Performing "Windowsill" midway through the 80-minute concert, he yelped: "I can't breathe! I can't sleep! World War III, when are you coming for me?" Both songs are from Arcade Fire's new album, "Neon Bible," a thematically bleak set about a world that's apparently on the verge of an apocalypse.

Butler didn't blame anybody by name for the current state of affairs, but he didn't really have to, emphatically singing: "I don't want to live in America no more!" Though he was born in Texas and prep-schooled in New England, the 27-year-old artist now lives in Canada with his Haitian-born wife, Regine Chassagne, with whom he formed Arcade Fire.

The lyrics tended to swim in an ocean of beautiful noise, with Butler's quavering, David Byrne-like vocals enveloped by the swirling sound and fury of a maniacal band that embraces discord and thrives on changes.

As the music surged and swelled during "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)," from Arcade Fire's lauded 2004 debut, "Funeral," the tempo accelerated until the song was transformed into a disco-rock number. The very next song -- the pulsating "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" -- seemed to end with Butler playing a power chord on his electric guitar . . . then resumed with a striking coda: a maelstrom of sound during which the musicians bashed away at their instruments, not to mention various other inanimate objects.

Another song, "Black Wave/Bad Vibrations," opened with Chassagne singing somewhat impishly before the tune shifted dramatically in tempo and key. Butler then resumed his primary role as lead vocalist -- though it's worth noting that everybody in Arcade Fire is a vocalist, as the full band shouts lyrics at certain points, sometimes into microphones, sometimes into bullhorns.

Of course, sometimes, not even that's enough vocal muscle to fulfill Butler's grand vision. For the encore, after a muddied version of the churchy "Intervention," Butler instructed the crowd to help him sing the night's final song, which opened with a gigantic Led Zeppelin-like drum stop. And then suddenly, on cue, members of the audience, who had flooded the concert hall's aisles at Butler's behest, began singing, "Oooh oooh oooh oooh." It was the lead-in to "Wake Up," a gloriously bitter anthem that provided a perfectly mighty ending to Arcade Fire's latest big night out.
<sig>

Here's the thing

« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »
Thanks, Vansmack. I am listening to it now.

Reod Dai

« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2007, 02:45:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian_Walalce:
 Doesn't this whole thing smack of flavor-of-the-month?
Considering how many people are still head over heels in love with Funeral and include it on their "Albums of the Decade" lists, the past two and a half years make for one hell of a long month.

bearman🐻

« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
Even if you're not a fan of the Arcade Fire, you can't put them in the same boat as Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, or really even the Shins. I think they're WAY beyond flavor of the month at this point.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #189 on: June 05, 2007, 10:43:00 am »
They played "In the Backseat" and COLD WIND   :eek:  at the first Berkeley show!
(_|_)

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #190 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust aka j. marshmallow:
  They played "In the Backseat" and COLD WIND    :eek:   at the first Berkeley show!
They did "In the Backseat" at the Radio City show in NYC earlier in May.

But Cold Wind...yessssssssss!
Woof.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2007, 12:03:00 am »
They played HEADLIGHTS LOOK LIKE DIAMONDS   :roll:  in Berkeley, 2nd night!
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #192 on: June 06, 2007, 08:45:00 am »
Wow, they're really digging deep on this tour...all the way back to 2003!  How special!  ;)

They played HEADLIGHTS LOOK LIKE DIAMONDS    :roll:   in Berkeley, 2nd night!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2007, 08:48:00 am »
I wish I can kick yo ass right now!

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Wow, they're really digging deep on this tour...all the way back to 2003!  How special!   ;)  

They played HEADLIGHTS LOOK LIKE DIAMONDS     :roll:    in Berkeley, 2nd night!
[/b]
(_|_)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2007, 09:00:00 am »
well... at least win butler didn't steal your basketball

i wish i had seen these blogs while they were still up
nothx