Author Topic: MLB Playoffs 2007  (Read 28164 times)

Sage 703

MLB Playoffs 2007
« on: September 28, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »
okay, about that time of year.

How about that Mets meltdown?  Think the Rockies are going to make it?  Can the Cubs cut it?

Predictions for the playoffs?

Sage 703

Re: MLB Playoffs 2007
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »
If the season ended today, you've got:

Angels v Boston
 New York Yankees v Cleveland

Chicago Cubs v Arizona
 San Diego v New York Mets

My picks for that scenario:

Boston over Angels
 New York over Cleveland

Cubs over Arizona
 Mets over San Diego
 ____

Boston over New York
 Cubs over Mets
 ____

Boston over Cubs

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »
I really want to see the Cubbies win this year. At least my favorite National League team has a chance!  (Wrigley Field is my second favorite ballpark to Camden Yards).

Aside from that, I am an ABBY fan for the 11th year in a row.

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »
2007 is the year of Anaheim.  First the triumphant end of The OC, then the Ducks, now the Angels.

Revel in all its splendor and glory!
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
 Boston over Cubs
AKA "best world series ever"
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »
Alright, now that the AL is set, I'm going to break down the AL.

ANAHEIM vs BOSTON

As someone who's watched somewhere between 150-155 Anaheim games this season, this is going to be way too in depth, but I guarantee you it will be spot on.  I am shocked that the Angels didn't play harder for home field advantage, because historically they have struggled in Boston.  They don't have any traditional ground ball pitchers, and thus struggle in Fenway.

So Lackey, after a Cy Young season, must start at least one in Fenway.  The last game he threw in Fenway, after giving up a big Papi 310 foot HR to right field, and two deep flies off the green monster, you could read his lips "Fuck this fucking place" - all three hits would have been outs in every other park in America. And that describes this matchup to a T - Is Fenway enough of an advangtage to make up for Boston's shortcomings vs Anaheim?  I don't think so, but it will all come down to one thing - Boston's bullpen.

STARTERS

Lackey (19-9, 3.01 ERA) and Beckett (20-7, 3.27 ERA) are Cy Young candidate washes, but advantage to Beckett in Fenway.  Both will keep their team close, Beckett will likely have a lead into the 6th or 7th.

Escobar (17-7, 3.46 ERA) and Wakefield (16-12, 4.80 ERA) couldn't be two different pitchers.  Escobar, another Cy Young candidate relies on power and finishing strong, Wake the knuckler struggled the last month.  Anaheim traditionally hits Wake well, and Escobar has a solid record in Fenway.  Advantage Anaheim.

The third starter is make or break for the Sox, and it will depend on how the Sox do in game 1 and 2.  Anaheim will start Little Weaver (13-7, 4.01 ERA).  Boston has a choice to make here, and I'm pretty sure most Sox fans are uncomfortable with either choice - Dice K (15-12, 4.40 ERA) or the banged up Schilling (9-8, 3.87 ERA).  Schilling pitched well at home vs. Anaheim, but struggled at the Big A.  Dice-K has yet to face Anaheim.  Boston roughed up Weaver in his only start vs Boston at Fenway.  Boston fans can't feel comfortable with this, especially if they split at Fenway.

BULLPEN

Speier (2.92 ERA, 36 hits in 49 innings, 36 holds in 50 appearances), Shields (3.79 ERA, 60 hits in 76 innings, 32 runs in 70 appearances) and K-Rod (39 saves, despite throwing a high number of breaking balls this year for some reason).  Shields has struggled late, so it's nice to have Speier.  Little else needs to be said about the best bullpen in baseball.

How are you Sox fans feeling about your backend?  Papelboner is solid, but he can only be effective if they have the lead when he comes in.  Do you even want to see Gagne touch a baseball?  Oakjima's touched the ball 6 times this month.   Donnelly and Buchholz are out - do you like Tavarez?  I know you like Delcarmen, but have you seen him against Anaheim?  You don't want to.  And this is tipping point of the series - Anaheim has the most comeback wins in baseball and the Sox have a shakey pen.  If Anaheim can come back in game one or two agaisnt Boston's shakey bullpen, this will be a painful series for Boston.  Advantage Anaheim, in a scary way.

OFFENSE

A lot is made about Anaheim's lack of power, but Boston is 3rd in runs in the AL, Anaheim is 4th (albeit 43 runs behind).  Anaheim, not surprisingly hits for a higher average.  Anaheim needs to keep the Sox in the park and to force Boston's defense into mistakes when they go for the extra base.  Boston needs to flex it's muscle and keep the pesky Angels off the bases.  This likely comes down to the two guys having strong second halves - Big Papi making a comeback and Garrett Anderson remaining resurgent.  Whichever one does a better job of picking up the guy they protect will predict the outcome of their team.  Advantage Boston.

COACHING

Scioscia is the best manager in baseball, Francona has circulation issues and can't wear the proper uniform.  HUGE Advantage for Anaheim.

I predict Anaheim comes from behind in game 1 or 2 and wins the series in Anaheim in 4 games.  Did I mention they are 54-27 at home, despite not having a field with a short porch, a huge short wall or any other physical advantage other than a make believe monkey?  If they don't come back in 1 or 2, they lose in 4.

YANKEES vs CLEVELAND

I could care less about this series.  Yankees in 4.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »
ok, a Sox Fans rebuttal (though not so well thought out, hah)

1. apparently, Fox is reporting today that Philadelphia has the most comeback wins in baseball, at 48.  now i am not sure what constitutes a "comeback win" exactly (can you be losing 1-0 in the first)  nor do i believe everything i hear on TV, but I dont believe everything i hear from Smackie either!     :)    

2. Delcarmen has pitched 2 innings against Anaheim this year.  he has 2 ER in 2 innings, both came in the same game.

3. Boston's pen was ANYTHING but shakey for most of the season and between Tavarez, Timlin, Papelbon, Gagne, Lester, Delcarmen and Okajima, you could only call them shakey to make yourself feel better.

4. Papelbon, Okajima and Timlin have a comnbined 0.00 ERA against LA this season.

4. Boston is hardly the homerun hitting team from yesteryear. in fact, i think they are like 8th in the AL. Boston gets on base, and with Ellsbury, Crisp and Lugo, can run the bases too.

5. Wakefield has pitched against LA twice this year, first game 7 IP, 1 ER.  second game 7 IP, 6 ER.  and that loss, in LA, so it sounds like more 50/50 than "the angels hit him well"

6. what happened to Escobar last time he pitched in the playoffs at Fenway?

7. Schilling gets the start over Daisuke (i am not sure where you heard Wakefield was starting game 2). and I'll take Schilling any day in October.

8. I realize the Angels have a good record at home, but are they even .500 on the road?  and didnt the Red Sox score about 50 runs in the 6 games between them at Fenway this year?

9. JD Drew is batting .320 in September and has 5 multiple hit games against LA.

10.  LA is hitting .228 in Fenway this year, do they move the wall out when the visiting team bats?

I'll stop here

My Prediction is that the Sox are too much in Fenway for a shaky road team and once the Angels are down 2-0, the Sox bats smell blood and win it in 3, just like in 2004.

I probably shouldnt say this cause i believe i called a Sox sweep against Chicago in 2005 but its how i really feel.

In fact, i think its a Sox and Yankees mauling and the inevitable rematch in the ALCS.....

K8teebug

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 08:31:00 am »
I really don't want Boston to win again.  I am so tired of Boston.  Or maybe it's just because I'm a bitter O's fan.  The world may never know.

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  1. apparently, Fox is reporting today that Philadelphia has the most comeback wins in baseball, at 48.  now i am not sure what constitutes a "comeback win" exactly
Trailing going into the 7th inning (usually) is the measure.  And you are correct, after Anaheim clinched, the Phils passed them.  So Anaheim leads the AL, but no longer leads MLB.

3. Boston's pen was ANYTHING but shakey for most of the season and between Tavarez, Timlin, Papelbon, Gagne, Lester, Delcarmen and Okajima, you could only call them shakey to make yourself feel better.

4. Papelbon, Okajima and Timlin have comnbined 0.00 ERA against LA this season.

Good, I'm glad Sox fans aren't recognizing a problem.  It's not April-July any more - and it's Sox fans that are making themselves feel better.

5. Wakefield has pitched against LA twice this year, first game 7 IP, 1 ER.  second game 7 IP, 6 ER.  and that loss, in LA, so it sounds like more 50/50 than "the angels hit him well"

7. Schilling gets the start over Daisuke (i am not sure where you heard Wakefield was starting game 2). and I'll take Schilling any day in October.
You're correct.  Shockingly, a maybe healthy Schilling and the erratic Dice-k are going to start (it appears).  This is great for Anaheim.  It's probably because Wake is a career 9-11 with an ERA of nearly 5.00 career against Anaheim.

9. JD Drew is batting .320 in September and has 5 multiple hit games against LA.
So that was "Drewwww" the Fenway faithful were cheering, not "booooooo"?  I love this type of denial.  He's a career .233 playoff hitter.  Just thought I'd let you know.  Pollard can tell the rest of the story.  

My Prediction is that the Sox are too much in Fenway for a shaky road team and once the Angels are down 2-0, the Sox bats smell blood and win it in 3, just like in 2004.
So we agree.  If Anaheim doesn't win one of the first two, they won't win the series.  Where we disagree is the bullpen - and I guess we'll see on Wednesday who's right.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »
Ironically, TBS has the games for first round of playoff games, but apparently they haven't rolled out TBS-HD in many markets and people are pissed.

It made it on to DirecTV last month, and I heard Comcast in certain markets.  Comcast in Boston was putting up a fight for sometime, but relented and it will start tomorrow to avert the feared riot.
27>34

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »
I am off to the Rockies v. Pads.  Go Rox! And with a win I believe Matt Holliday locks up the MVP.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:
  I am off to the Rockies v. Pads.  Go Rox! And with a win I believe Matt Holliday locks up the MVP.
well. . . i don't know.  i think jimmy rollins could wind up with it.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 07:38:00 pm »
ANAHEIM V BOSTON

Gm 1 LAA @ BOS Wed Oct. 3 6:30 pm  TBS  
 Gm 2 LAA @ BOS Fri Oct. 5 8:30 pm  TBS  
 Gm 3 BOS @ LAA Sun Oct. 7 3 pm  TBS  
 Gm 4* BOS @ LAA Mon Oct. 8 9:30 pm  TBS  
 Gm 5* LAA @ BOS Wed Oct. 10 8:30 pm  TBS  

NEW YORK V CLEVELAND

Gm 1 NYY @ CLE Thu Oct. 4 6:30 pm  TBS  
 Gm 2 NYY @ CLE Fri Oct. 5 5 pm  TBS  
 Gm 3 CLE @ NYY Sun Oct. 7 6:30 pm  TBS  
 Gm 4* CLE @ NYY Mon Oct. 8 6 pm  TBS  
 Gm 5* NYY @ CLE Wed Oct. 10 5 pm  TBS  

CHICAGO V ARIZONA

Gm 1 CHC @ ARI Wed Oct. 3 10 pm  TBS  
 Gm 2 CHC @ ARI Thu Oct. 4 10 pm  TBS  
 Gm 3 ARI @ CHC Sat Oct. 6 6 pm  TBS  
 Gm 4* ARI @ CHC Sun Oct. 7 1 pm  TNT  
 Gm 5* CHC @ ARI Tue Oct. 9 10 pm  TBS
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Ironically, TBS has the games for first round of playoff games, but apparently they haven't rolled out TBS-HD in many markets and people are pissed.

It made it on to DirecTV last month, and I heard Comcast in certain markets.  Comcast in Boston was putting up a fight for sometime, but relented and it will start tomorrow to avert the feared riot.
my Dish doesnt have it yet, but i can wait to watch the Red Sox in HD during the ALCS   :cool:

saco

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 10:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:
After that triple I think you may be right..