Author Topic: Polyphonic Spree - Kennedy Center - Fri. Oct. 1st (free  (Read 5198 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Polyphonic Spree - Kennedy Center - Fri. Oct. 1st (free
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 09:57:00 am »
Yes, I saw the Patti Smith show.  It was packed full of what my girlfriend best described as hippies from the 80's.

I asked how long you lived here because the Millenium Stage isn't the only place that has free concerts.  

Originally posted by walkonby:
 i will say that every once in a while they belt one out to shine the place polished, such as when patti smith played in 2003, or rhett miller of the old 97s was there.  what a great concept.  why, how long have you lived here?

keithstg

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 12:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] Actually, I've seen numerous famous and semi-famous acts at free in-stores in my seven years of living here. Off the top of my head: Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett, EmmyLou Harris, Alejandro Escovedo, Keb Mo, Clem Snide, Rhett Miller (Borders, in addition to Kennedy Center), Joss Stone...

That Rhett Miller in-store at Borders was great. Only thing was, he played for so long that I was wondering why I bought my ticket for that night...

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
Me too. I thought the in-store solo acoustic was better than the full band Black Cat show.

Originally posted by keithstg:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] Actually, I've seen numerous famous and semi-famous acts at free in-stores in my seven years of living here. Off the top of my head: Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett, EmmyLou Harris, Alejandro Escovedo, Keb Mo, Clem Snide, Rhett Miller (Borders, in addition to Kennedy Center), Joss Stone...

That Rhett Miller in-store at Borders was great. Only thing was, he played for so long that I was wondering why I bought my ticket for that night... [/b]

walkonby

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »
hello "cin oh py lop".  i love that poly thread site that you guys all converse at, and the pictures with the names of members.  the show at the kennedy center is so on for oct. 1.  yeah baby.  but have you ever seen that mill. stage at the center.  talk about small and cozy.  better get there early to guarantee a close seat.  there is no bad seat for that setting, and they even have comfy chair thingys to sit on.  nuevo entertainment.  you should have a drink or something at the roof top terrance bar before the show.  great place to relax before being spiritually moved by the best damn band in show business!!!  maybe we'll say hi in passing.  i'll be the one with some crazy flaming lips shirt on.

walkonby

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 02:06:00 pm »
oh and i almost forgot.  anyone going to the show on oct 1. and wants to get there early to get a good seat, the kennedy center does not allow seating for the mill. stage until half an hour before show time.  so seating is at 5:30, and they make no exceptions.  so you might as well go to the bar and see the wonderful skyline of pimptown that the rooftop terrace offers.

BookerT

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 02:11:00 pm »
this is the official work from the kennedy center:

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, as part of its Performing Arts for Everyone series, presents a free concert by the 20-plus member symphonic pop band Polyphonic Spree, Friday, October 1, 2004 at 6 p.m. outside on the Center's newly constructed South Plaza Stage.   Lines form at 5 p.m. outside on the River Terrace.

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 05:00:00 pm »
So, is this going to be a seated or standing event?  I hoping that it's standing since it's outside.

I saw the spree in Philly in a church and it was very hard to stay still in a little pew!   :D    :D

walkonby

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
Ok, here it is:  straight from an employee of the Kennedy Center.  This is the official word about the show, and this is the truth, not some made up what-have-you.

Free polyphonic spree show at Kennedy Center's South Plaza Mill. Stage.  that is the Inside stage, not an outside one!  They have 200 seats for this stage, and standing after that; they claim they turn away nobody!!  Seating will be 15 minutes before the show, and no exceptions will be made in that regard.  Line forms for the seating, where ever it forms.  come early.  They are expecting a good sized crowd.

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004, 02:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  this is the official work from the kennedy center:

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, as part of its Performing Arts for Everyone series, presents a free concert by the 20-plus member symphonic pop band Polyphonic Spree, Friday, October 1, 2004 at 6 p.m. outside on the Center's newly constructed South Plaza Stage.   Lines form at 5 p.m. outside on the River Terrace.
BookerT's info is correct.  The following is part of an e-mail response I got from a staffer at the kennedy center.  This will be a great show for sure!  :D    :D  

Is this a seated show?

No... standing room only.

What time and where should people line-up to get good seats?

People can start to line up whenever they want... the line will be outside, along the river terrace. There will be a strolling bar to keep the folks occupied. Doors will open around 5pm.

Is this show inside or outside?

The show is outdoors. Weather looks good, so far, so fear not. The show is on the South Plaza (the opposite side from the Watergate.) The Plaza holds about 5000 people. You
 should have a fine shot at getting a nice view.

freddyadu

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2004, 01:26:00 am »
awesome.

i was bummed i missed the 930 club show, but this was a great venue and great time. with the exception of some frat boy sourpusses making fun of what they don't understand, I had a blast.

i hope they continue with these shows with bands of a similar ilk.

helicon1

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2004, 07:32:00 am »
Tim Delaughter mentioned their show was the first of that size that would be featured as part of the Millenium Stage program.  The Kennedy Center acts as a perfect backdrop. The plaza has space for about 5,000. I'd say about 2,000 showed up which gave plenty of room for moving about. The crowd make-up was very diverse; toddlers, elderly, hipsters, hippies, young professionals coming off of work, etc.

There were clearly many people there just because it was a free show. This is exactly the kind of person a band like the Polyphonic Spree would like coming out... to expose another segment of the public to their music. Major kudos to the Kennedy Center for arranging this. The Millenium stage is such a great idea and gives people the opportunity to see live performances who normally would not be able to afford it.

The Polyphonic Spree fed off the energy of this performance and really put on a great show!! What a cool night.

By the way, kennedy-center.org will archive this show on the website so it can be streamed on your computer.

jkeisenh

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2004, 09:34:00 am »
i was like two people back from the stage-- behind the O of HOPE.  It was awesome.  Have to say though, it wasn't as crazy revved up as the 930 show, probably due to large amounts of space and being surrounded by people saying things like "does he think he's jesus or something?"

anyway.

i did think it was funny that the same staring/pointing at the sky they did at the 930 show that made them look culty and odd last night made it look like they were waiting for airplanes.  sorta lost its affect!

es9450a

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2004, 09:44:00 pm »
The pointy thing really threw me off.  Largely because I kept checking over my shoulder to see if something was going on.  Great show though.  I was right in front on the barrier in front of Tim.