Author Topic: dual disc  (Read 3868 times)

mbg73

Re: dual disc
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
But my understanding is that the DRM software only affects PCs.  I have a Mac, and those discs should play like a normal CD on a Mac b/c the DRM software isn't installed.  You're right that the thousands of CDs I have aren't DRM CDs, but several recent ones have been and I haven't had any trouble with them.  The problem, for me anyway, seems to be the ability of my drive to read all of the data on Dual Discs clearly.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 01:22:00 pm »
I'm guessing that any problems one has with a DualDisc in a Mac is because of the format of the disc and not the copy protection.  Clearily the industry is taking any steps it can to prevent people from using newer technologies in their computers.
T.Rex

mbg73

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
Thank you!  I was wondering how many times I had to say I use a Mac.  The CD layer on a Dual Disc is much thinner than on a conventional disc (partly why they only hold 60 minutes of audio vs 72 on a conventional disc).  The problems I've had importing from Dual Discs seem to stem from the inability of my drive to rip the data accurately.  That's why it chokes and takes twice as long as a normal CD -- the drive is picking up and trying to fix more errors.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 01:37:00 pm »
Well I was dreading having to rip the new Coral CD for Kosmette's iPod based on the horror stories that abound the copy protection.  And knowing that on my work Windoze box that the new "discs" want to install software in order just to listen to it.  Was certain they had figured a way to hide the audio tracks on a MAC as well.

But was pleasently suprised to find that the MAC disregards the copy controls and the audio tracks are out in the open.  Will let you know what my experience with ripping from the new Franz Ferdinand DualDisc is...

There is some debate that the new copy protected CDs can contained to be labelled as such, because they don't conform to the published standard.
T.Rex

mbg73

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
I know plenty of people who've had no problems ripping DualDiscs, so maybe you'll be fine. I had no luck with my powerbook or with any of the powermacs at my work, though.  It rips and I can load it to ipod, but the first few songs and the last few songs sound shitty.  I even tried ripping it, burning to disc, and then loading that into itunes.  Still no luck.  I much prefer the 2-disc option, like the last Neil Young album.  You can get either the regular CD or a CD/DVD set with the 5.1 mix and video content on a separate disc.  It seems to me that there are too many problems with Dual Discs right now.

mbg73

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
Here you go, this is what I've been trying to explain.  Skip down to paragraph six.

Stereophile

Arlette

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

But was pleasently suprised to find that the MAC disregards the copy controls and the audio tracks are out in the open.  Will let you know what my experience with ripping from the new Franz Ferdinand DualDisc is...

I had no idea this was possible.  As Bogie said in Casablanca, "I was misinformed."  :D  

Thanks to both of you for enlightening me about Macs.  I use a Windows machine at work and a Mac at home, so from now on I'll do my music stuff at home instead of work.  

The 9:30 Board:  learning is fun!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by mbg73:
  Here you go, this is what I've been trying to explain.  Skip down to paragraph six.

Stereophile
Great Story!  Ain't it great how with the DualDisc technology they have basically tossed out the window the error correction technology which was one of the major improvements over vinyl. And there is no need to get in a long winded discussion of why cd are "better" than vinyl, without them Apple would be toast   :D
T.Rex

mbg73

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »
Alright, everyone is happy now.  I can't believe we've spent all day talking about Dual Discs.