Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1902850 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1410 on: January 19, 2009, 04:05:47 pm »
Not much too it really.

10% off most items (last advertised price, not MSRP), 20% off CDs and DVDs.

The best bargain I got was negotiating the price of open box items with the manager.  Of course, you're taking a huge risk here, but double check the manufacturers warranty and you should be ok.
27>34

brennser

« Reply #1411 on: January 20, 2009, 10:47:25 pm »
thoughts on the new U2 single Smackie??? some fairly crunchy guitar on there....definitely a bit of a surprise for them I'd say

vansmack

« Reply #1412 on: January 21, 2009, 01:32:02 am »
thoughts on the new U2 single Smackie??? some fairly crunchy guitar on there....definitely a bit of a surprise for them I'd say

Similar to you sentiment in the mall thread, I've been participating in a lot of interesting discussions with boardies off the board until the ridiculousness ends.  Sadly, I'm hearing your thoughts echoed more and more over email...

Anyhow, so me, the Director and few others were discussing the new single over email and we decided that Adam Clayton really shines in the new single and the "fuzzy" guitar is a welcome addition to the repertoire.  If this any indication of what to expect in the new album, we should expect some great stories from The Director as he travels the world with the lads.

It gets a thumbs up from Smackie - next time you DJ throw it on your set list and tell me if the kids start dancing.  Me thinks they will....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:47:02 am by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1413 on: January 21, 2009, 01:41:11 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Sirius Purchase of Rival XM Approved by Justice Dept.

Honestly, I thought this would take a lot longer...now what will the FCC do???
Well that answers that then. I won't be getting sattelite radio at all now..up go the fees and down go the commercial free channels.

Well, that only took a year:

Sirius XM Rate Increase For March 11th CONFIRMED

For those of you who may have heard the news about the ?potential? Sirius XM rate increase this afternoon, I can unequivocally confirm that this is in fact true. Customer support representatives are now confirming to the general public that the rates will go into effect on March 11th and they are encouraging current subscribers to lock in at their current and soon to be grandfathered rates for 3 years, before it is too late.

As suspected the will be a $2 increase for additional subscriptions and a $2.99 fee for the online internet radio service. The silver lining in all of this is that all internet subscriptions will now feature the 128k ?premium? feed.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #1414 on: January 21, 2009, 01:48:21 pm »
  I am on my 3-month trial of XM Sirius (came with my new car), I havent decided whether i will keep it or not.  I like some of the channels (love that they added that Backspin channel) but i am not in my car all that much so i dont know.

vansmack

« Reply #1415 on: January 21, 2009, 01:53:30 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/44.president/inauguration/themoment/

This is one of the coolest technologies for photos that I've seen in a while.  When I first heard about, I thought - when am I ever going to have that many pictures to use it.  Now that I see it's power with a community collection of pictures, I am in awe.

Photosynth is a Microsoft technology that creates 3D spaces from anyone's 2D photos. Hundreds of thousands of synths are viewable on photosynth.com, including the best inauguration synths.

*Silverlight is required
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1416 on: January 21, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »
  I am on my 3-month trial of XM Sirius (came with my new car), I havent decided whether i will keep it or not.  I like some of the channels (love that they added that Backspin channel) but i am not in my car all that much so i dont know.

We opted not to for similar reasons.  We rarely drive anywhere together and our commutes to work are barely 10 minutes at most. 

It's really only useful to us on trips to LA (which we take maybe twice a year) and for times when we're driving somewhere and there's sports on that we want to listen to.  We tend to DVR the game and watch it when we get home so we didn't find much use for it.

We've been much happier with an iPod/mp3 stereo and audiobooks.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1417 on: January 21, 2009, 02:10:53 pm »
i like to listen to it on directv if i am doing things around the house, but would not pay extra either
o/\o

« Reply #1418 on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:07 pm »
Is your better half really into sports as much as you, and actually wants to listen to it on a drive, or are you just using "We" in the figurative sense?

We opted not to for similar reasons.  We rarely drive anywhere together and our commutes to work are barely 10 minutes at most. 

It's really only useful to us on trips to LA (which we take maybe twice a year) and for times when we're driving somewhere and there's sports on that we want to listen to.  We tend to DVR the game and watch it when we get home so we didn't find much use for it.

We've been much happier with an iPod/mp3 stereo and audiobooks.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1419 on: January 21, 2009, 02:40:01 pm »
Not much too it really.

10% off most items (last advertised price, not MSRP), 20% off CDs and DVDs.

The best bargain I got was negotiating the price of open box items with the manager.  Of course, you're taking a huge risk here, but double check the manufacturers warranty and you should be ok.

Many irate Circuit City shoppers discovered the hard way this weekend that going-out-of-business sales don't always mean bargain-basement prices.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1420 on: January 21, 2009, 02:47:11 pm »
Is your better half really into sports as much as you, and actually wants to listen to it on a drive, or are you just using "We" in the figurative sense?

It would be nearly impossible to be as big a sports fan as me, but Smackette is a pretty big sports fan for a chick (as is Mrs. Venerable, probably more so because she takes it very personally).  Smackette loves the Angels as much as I do (watched nearly as many games as I did when she was in school, much less now that she's in residency, but would definitely listen to them on the radio on long drives).

However we disagree on favorite teams in just about every other sport, so it makes listening difficult.  I like the Steelers, she likes the Rams.  When the Venerables come over nearly every Sunday for football, we have the picture in picture going with a collection of the Steelers, Rams, Chiefs (Venerable) and the Bears (Mrs. Venerable) games on.  We have spent Sundays driving from LA back to SF listening to the Rams or Steelers before.

Smackette loves the Lakers, I hate the NBA, but I have stomached listening to Laker games on the radio (I usually just gamble on the game so that I'm interested).  I love the Ducks, she's not into hockey on TV, but would go to any game (she does like the Stanley Cup playoffs though).  She also loves Kasey Kahne, I love Smoke, but we don't listen to NASCAR on the radio.

She loves the World Cup, but not so much Man U.  She's a Real fan, but no diehard.  When they play in the champions league, she'll watch it.  She doesn't mind a Sat or Sun morning watching the match and reading US Weekly though.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1421 on: January 21, 2009, 02:51:26 pm »

Many irate Circuit City shoppers discovered the hard way this weekend that going-out-of-business sales don't always mean bargain-basement prices.

What are they irate about?  People sure are strange.  I got 10% off a video game and a ridiculous amount off 2 Xbox rechargeable batteries with recharger (I think it was $8) and was completely fine with that.  They didn't promise anything more. 

"Customers who say 10% isn't enough for me, they're free to walk out and come back when the discounts are greater," he said. "If they're lucky, the merchandise will still be there."
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #1422 on: January 21, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »
  I am slightly irritated that their website is down and it appears you must actually go to the store to see whats onsale.  That said, with a Best Buy downtown and no Circuit City.....for i dont even know where there is one.  I might hit it up sometime in late Feb to see if i can grab a deep discount.

« Reply #1423 on: January 21, 2009, 03:44:40 pm »
Nice that you have the in common, as much as you do!

It would be nearly impossible to be as big a sports fan as me, but Smackette is a pretty big sports fan for a chick (as is Mrs. Venerable, probably more so because she takes it very personally).  Smackette loves the Angels as much as I do (watched nearly as many games as I did when she was in school, much less now that she's in residency, but would definitely listen to them on the radio on long drives).

However we disagree on favorite teams in just about every other sport, so it makes listening difficult.  I like the Steelers, she likes the Rams.  When the Venerables come over nearly every Sunday for football, we have the picture in picture going with a collection of the Steelers, Rams, Chiefs (Venerable) and the Bears (Mrs. Venerable) games on.  We have spent Sundays driving from LA back to SF listening to the Rams or Steelers before.

Smackette loves the Lakers, I hate the NBA, but I have stomached listening to Laker games on the radio (I usually just gamble on the game so that I'm interested).  I love the Ducks, she's not into hockey on TV, but would go to any game (she does like the Stanley Cup playoffs though).  She also loves Kasey Kahne, I love Smoke, but we don't listen to NASCAR on the radio.

She loves the World Cup, but not so much Man U.  She's a Real fan, but no diehard.  When they play in the champions league, she'll watch it.  She doesn't mind a Sat or Sun morning watching the match and reading US Weekly though.

« Reply #1424 on: January 21, 2009, 03:45:58 pm »
I went looking for a new ipod, and they weren't onsale at all. :(

What are they irate about?  People sure are strange.  I got 10% off a video game and a ridiculous amount off 2 Xbox rechargeable batteries with recharger (I think it was $8) and was completely fine with that.  They didn't promise anything more. 

"Customers who say 10% isn't enough for me, they're free to walk out and come back when the discounts are greater," he said. "If they're lucky, the merchandise will still be there."