Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901324 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1515 on: March 13, 2009, 04:10:43 pm »
That could backfire.

Jag - I'm feeling you, baby!
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1516 on: March 13, 2009, 04:12:13 pm »
that true, i was really just thinking about the cookie
o/\o

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1517 on: March 13, 2009, 04:16:08 pm »
That could backfire.

Jag - I'm feeling you, baby!

Hey, no hugging!!!  :D

Shoeshine, I just ate 2 cookies. Shortbread.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1518 on: March 13, 2009, 05:29:00 pm »
I also have an assistant who takes messages and sends me emails and texts when I'm not in the office, but she's union so this feature could not replace her.

having someone transcribe rambling 5 minute voice mails for you is seriously the coolest thing ever
(o|o)

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1519 on: March 13, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »
that true, i was really just thinking about the cookie
i bet the smugness quotient was the same between the cookie and the hug.
OU812

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1520 on: March 17, 2009, 03:03:49 pm »
This is very valuable information in case someone is moving to San Francisco.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/fashion/15commune.html?em

March 15, 2009
The Pleasure Principle
By PATRICIA LEIGH BROWN and CAROL POGASH
SAN FRANCISCO

EVEN in a culture in which sex toys are a booming business and Oprah Winfrey discusses living your best life in the bedroom, a coed live-in commune dedicated to the female orgasm hovers at the extremes.

The founder of the One Taste Urban Retreat Center, Nicole Daedone, sees herself as leading ?the slow-sex movement,? one that places a near-exclusive emphasis on women?s pleasure ? in which love, romance and even flirtation are not required.

?In our culture, admitting our bodies matter is almost an admission of failure,? said Ms. Daedone, 41, who can quote the poet Mary Oliver and speak wryly on the intricacies of women?s anatomy with equal aplomb. ?I don?t think women will really experience freedom until they own their sexuality.?

A core of 38 men and women ? their average age the late 20s ? live full time in the retreat center, a shabby-chic loft building in the South of Market district. They prepare meals together, practice yoga and mindfulness meditation and lead workshops in communication for outside groups as large as 60.

But the heart of the group?s activity, listed cryptically on its Web site?s calendar as ?morning practice,? is closed to all but the residents.

At 7 a.m. each day, as the rest of America is eating Cheerios or trying to face gridlock without hyperventilating, about a dozen women, naked from the waist down, lie with eyes closed in a velvet-curtained room, while clothed men huddle over them, stroking them in a ritual known as orgasmic meditation ? ?OMing,? for short. The couples, who may or may not be romantically involved, call one another ?research partners.?

A commune dedicated to men and women publicly creating ?the orgasm that exists between them,? in the words of one resident, may sound like the ultimate California satire. But the Bay Area has a lively and venerable history of seekers constructing lives around sexual adventure.

San Francisco is proud of its libertine heritage, as Sean Penn recently demonstrated in ?Milk.? The search for personal transformation, including through sex, led to the oceanside hot tubs at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, cradle of the human potential movement, and in the 1960s, communes flourished in the city, many espousing free love.

One Taste is but the latest stop on this sexual underground, weaving together strands of radical individual freedom, Eastern spirituality and feminism.

..... (rest of story at link)
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #1521 on: March 17, 2009, 03:54:27 pm »
Delivering this news on St. Pat's is pretty much guaranteeing my head will explode at some point today.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #1522 on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:36 pm »
you should try on mister mascis's album entilted "j and friends sing and chant for amma" regarding j.'s devotion to the "hugging saint".  it may not change your mind about huggers, especially that one guy who is still keeping the trucker hat alive, but atleast you'll have nice background music to listen to as you hate.

vansmack

« Reply #1523 on: March 19, 2009, 07:44:48 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 If you're like me and can't stand the white type on a dark background (I practically go into seziures)
things sweetcell thinks you ought to know:

when putting together a PowerPoint presentation that is meant to be projected, white/light letters on a dark background looks better and is easier to read.

So I'm sitting in a classroom sharing the stage with a speaker giving a  presentation on the civic potential of video games. The classroom is full of windows and the sun is setting.  His white letters on the black screen are readable, but his yellows and reds completely unreadable, even with the shades pulled down.

I'm still on the side of white backgrounds because you never know your environment.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1524 on: March 20, 2009, 02:30:08 pm »
So I'm not a saint, right?  You all know this by now.  But last night I may have angered a girl more than I ever have in my life, and I didn't even get to sleep with her. 

You see, Venerable and his Mrs had a baby on Sunday and last night his father in law and I took him out to celebrate.  We had a pretty good time, enough so that Smackette was a little mad at me this morning, but NOTHING compared to perhaps the greatest voice mail message I have ever been left, which of course I transcribed for you below (I'm really thinking of recording this because you really need to feel her tone):

"[Vansmack] it's [Mrs. Venerable] it's 2:45 in the morning just letting you know that [Venerable] will be on your doorstep as soon as he can get his ass up and walk to your house tomorrow morning and you can take care of him all day tomorrow because I've done the first shift.  I took care of him puking in our bed, all over our bedroom floor and nearly falling over and cracking his head open in our bathroom.  So you get shift two tomorrow, so just letting you know that he'll be there as soon as he can walk.  And thank you guys for officially completely ruining my first night home from the hospital  because I not only had to care for a newborn and myself but my drunk ass 35 year old husband tonight because you guys couldn't be responsible enough to manage your liquor intake. So have fun taking care of him tomorrow.  Thanks."

Ouch.  It's my fault your husband is a bad father...anyhow, me being the sensitive guy that I am, texted her in the morning:

ME:
Tonight, I'll have a talk with him about being a more responsible father.

MRS VENERABLE:

(actually, I can't in good conscience reprint this one, but it was full of all caps and foul language, and a threat of some sort)

Anybody want to join me for dinner at the Venerable's tonight?         
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1525 on: March 20, 2009, 03:27:39 pm »
never go drinking with two irish dudes

o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1526 on: March 25, 2009, 12:55:26 pm »
smax, did you get around to recording that VM?  i'd be happy to edit out people's names before your make it public... sound like a keeper.  on a related note, venerable has been rather quiet here recently.  maybe he's e-grounded from anywhere associated with you?

and on an unrelated note, Blockbuster Will Team With TiVo In Video-Download Service.
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #1527 on: March 25, 2009, 01:18:29 pm »
So I'm not a saint, right?  You all know this by now.  But last night I may have angered a girl more than I ever have in my life, and I didn't even get to sleep with her.    

well, just think of the voicemail you would have gotten from Venerable if you HAD slept with her!

vansmack

« Reply #1528 on: March 25, 2009, 01:47:56 pm »
on a related note, venerable has been rather quiet here recently.  maybe he's e-grounded from anywhere associated with you?

He took a week off for paternity leave and has been a rather attentive father (except for the one night I took him out).  He's back at work now and is catching up on things - I'm sure he'll be back soon.  We also have a ton of fantasy baseball draft we're preparing for...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1529 on: March 25, 2009, 02:02:58 pm »
and on an unrelated note, Blockbuster Will Team With TiVo In Video-Download Service.

The model is still wrong.  Why would I pay $4 for a SD movie when I can $5 for an HD movie from cable/satellite provider via PPV?  That's a dollar well spent.  Notice I didn't even mention how badly the BB model pales in comparison to the Netflix model, even with the larger movie library.

I'm telling you - the first company to take the Netflix model to the DRM-DL (not streaming) model with a full library for a set monthly fee that's competitive with the mail model wins.   I would pay $20 a month for the following:

- Download, not streaming, a movie file (in HD when available) from the entire BB or Netflix library (not the limited library)
- Store up to two movies at a time
- Movies can be automatically deleted 24 hours after I start the movie (I'm ok with the DRM)
- As soon as I delete it or it's automatically deleted, it's replaced by the next movie in my queue

No mailing, I don't have to visit the store and I always have two movies at my ready.  The store doesn't have mailing costs, shortages of movies and limited overhead.  The industry takes a percentage of my rental fee for licensing.  Everybody wins here, except maybe the ISP who also provides TV and PPV options that nobody will use, but I've always argued that TV and ISPs should be separate anyway as part of anti-trust because I told you this was coming.
27>34