Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1902727 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2310 on: July 13, 2011, 03:52:45 pm »
The CA Milk Processor's Board didn't offend anyone with their new ad campaign...

27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2311 on: July 14, 2011, 01:38:15 am »
I'll cancel August 31 for sure (and this will be the second time I've cancelled Netflix).  There are plenty of options that are cheaper than $16 a month to get 99% of everything that's out.

my reading of this article is that no other service matches netflix's offerings:

Mad About Netflix Prices? Here Are Some Alternative Services
http://techland.time.com/2011/07/13/mad-about-netflix-prices-here-are-some-alternative-services/
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #2312 on: July 14, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »
depends what kind of films you use netflix for. but ive tried most of them out and found netflix to be the best for hard-to-find, foreign, indie, etc. sadly, a good chunk arent even available on demand. 1/5 of my films are available for streaming which mostly are the tv shows. Rather sad or my taste is more obscure than others. green cine is quite good in SF but if youre out of state it takes forever for dvds to arrive (no clue if they even have them for streaming).

I'll cancel August 31 for sure (and this will be the second time I've cancelled Netflix).  There are plenty of options that are cheaper than $16 a month to get 99% of everything that's out.

my reading of this article is that no other service matches netflix's offerings:

Mad About Netflix Prices? Here Are Some Alternative Services
http://techland.time.com/2011/07/13/mad-about-netflix-prices-here-are-some-alternative-services/
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #2313 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:51 pm »

Everything depends on the individuals taste.  I don't care if you have half as many streaming options as Netflix if it's more that I would watch.  There's a huge discrepancy between physical media options right now and streaming options and until they get that worked out, digital download is a better option that streaming in my eyes.

I've been an Amazon Prime member for shipping for years, so I consider Amazon Prime Instant a free bonus.

I've been sitting on a 3 month free trial of Hulu+ from Tivo for a while, so I'm going to fire that up.

So for Sept/Oct/Nov I'm going to cancel Netflix and try a combination of Amazon Prime, Hulu+, Red Box and Amazon Instant Download daily/weekly special offers with a monthly limit of the $16 Netflix wants from me for the same or similar features and compare.

Since Netflix doesn't grandfather it's customers I have nothing to lose.  If it doesn't work I can come back next year at the exact same rate (providing they don't raise it by then...).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:29:45 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2314 on: July 14, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »
Pogue did a good job trying to get to the bottom of why Netflix raised it's prices for reasons other than just saying it's a better deal for the consumer, which still doesn't make sense. 

Bottom line is this: the $10 a month for unlimited DVD (one at a time) and unlimited streaming didn't shift the balance to streaming the way they wanted.  Their streaming content library isn't deep enough so the $8 royalties for streaming were covering costs but they were losing on DVD rentals because most streamers kept one movie at a time that wasn't available streaming, somewhere between 3-4 a month. 

I think Netflix is going to be shocked when they see that most consumers have become accustomed to a mix of both streaming (convenience) and DVD (quality and selection) and don't want to choose one or the other, nor do they feel $16 is a fair price for both.

If I'm Amazon Instant, Google Movies or Apple TV/iTunes  (and maybe Hulu, but less likely since they're currently for sale) you've got to think this is your window to strike.  I say you've got 1 month to come up with a plan to cut into Netflix's market share and about 5 months to hold them.  Should be interesting...
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #2315 on: July 18, 2011, 09:43:24 am »
Here is one of the few things that Ive always loved about Netflix (never saw this with any of the other places I tried out).

Immigration Tango was not available from your local shipping center. Fortunately, it was available from a shipping center in another part of the country. It's on its way and should arrive within 3 to 5 days.

You'll notice we also recently sent the next available DVD from your Queue to enjoy while Immigration Tango makes its way to you.
HeyLa

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2316 on: July 18, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »
just read some article that basically says "netflix is better . . . deal with it.  the other places suck, and don't hold a candle to what netflix offers . . . so again, deal with it."

vansmack

« Reply #2317 on: July 19, 2011, 01:54:33 pm »
Smackie never settles.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2318 on: July 19, 2011, 02:43:40 pm »
Economist Android App.  Finally.

Sadly, no tablet app yet.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2319 on: July 20, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »
My favorite (eg, most offensive) comedian will be in DC October 20-23 at the DC Improv.

Jim Jeffries
Improv DC
Oct 20-23

He comes highly recommended by Smackie, though he's not for the faint.  Certainly not a date night, though if she doesn't walk out, she's a keeper.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2320 on: July 20, 2011, 04:52:55 pm »
My favorite (eg, most offensive) comedian will be in DC October 20-23 at the DC Improv.

Jim Jeffries
Improv DC
Oct 20-23

He comes highly recommended by Smackie, though he's not for the faint.  Certainly not a date night, though if she doesn't walk out, she's a keeper.

again . . . omg!!!

vansmack

« Reply #2321 on: July 27, 2011, 01:56:30 pm »
Hello.

We are pleased to announce the new-fangled PIXIES mobile app (available for iPhone and Android) is now out and ready. And FREE.

Stream the Purple Tape. Download Coachella 2004. Listen to live shows from '88 and beyond. There is even an acoustic show in there.

Oh, and did we mention the site now has the entire catalog (so far) ready for download in CD-quality digital files? It does. The Doolittle Lost Cities US Tour Dates are onsale now, too. Busy times, indeed.

All the info is here: http://pixiesmusic.com

La la love you,
PIXIES
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2322 on: July 27, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2323 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:59 pm »
Just an FYI:

Verizon offers new $20 Data Plan for DC, MD, VA

Looks like you're the test market for new ideas.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2324 on: August 18, 2011, 12:24:20 pm »

Jim Jeffries
Improv DC
Oct 20-23

correction: jeffries is february 9 - 12 (dave attell is oct 20 - 23).
http://www.dcimprov.com/comics/127
<sig>