Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901250 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2805 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:13 pm »
Just a couple more silly threads need to be started before this blatant abuse of power will disappear to the second page and be forgotten.

But perhaps not excused...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2806 on: June 27, 2013, 01:44:21 pm »
I'm hardly a networking expert, is it easy to turn the VPN off/on when wanted at the router level?  maybe have two different routers (VPN/non)?  is that crazy?

I am no longer the networking expert in my household, but my lady friend who is happens to be at a networking conference at the moment.  When she returns tomorrow, I'll ask her.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2807 on: June 27, 2013, 01:45:15 pm »
My oh so very serious thread has already rolled off, then again I force WAP mode on my phone
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #2808 on: June 27, 2013, 01:48:39 pm »
My oh so very serious thread has already rolled off, then again I force WAP mode on my phone

Not off my desktop, friend, not off my desktop.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2809 on: June 27, 2013, 04:23:43 pm »
Does MLB.tv let you pause / time shift?

It depends on your choice of delivery vehicle.  Xbox and Roku do a great job of letting you start at any inning you'd like, and FF or rewind, though the game is not always on the screen (so you can't watch it at 2x speed, for example, at least on Roku).  The tablet and PC browser versions are not as slick at starting from the beginning or certain innings in my experience.

Just to update this:

On the web site/desktop version of MLB.com I paused the Halo's when I left for a meeting after the third inning. 

When I returned I hit play and it jumped me ahead to current time, which was the 10th inning.  That's crap as now I know that it's in extras and I missed 7 innings.

On the Xbox and the Roku hitting pause and then restarting would have left me at the top of the 4th.

Also, when you start a game in progress on the Xbox/Roku, it asks if you want to start at the beginning or jump to a particular inning.  When you start the desktop MLB.com version, it takes you right to live.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2810 on: June 27, 2013, 04:29:17 pm »
that's really nice.  i start most games about 90 mins late.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #2811 on: June 27, 2013, 04:35:58 pm »
that's really nice.  i start most games about 90 mins late.

Me too.  Bottom line use a supported device:

Xbox 360
Sony Playstation® 3 system
Apple TV
WD TV
Roku
Panasonic
Samsung
LG
Boxee
Sony Blu-ray
Windows
TiVo
27>34

Yada

« Reply #2812 on: June 27, 2013, 04:39:44 pm »
Hey, let's not forget about SF restaurant recommendations!  :o

vansmack

« Reply #2813 on: June 27, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »
If only the Angels could play the Yankees and Tigers every game, the rest of the league would be looking up at them in the standings.

They will now go get swept by the Astros.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2814 on: June 27, 2013, 05:08:55 pm »

That's right, my bad.

My favorite Steak House is Bourbon Steak.  It's not too far from your hotel.  Something slightly more old school SF would Alfred's.  Both can be pricey.

My favorite seafood place is down the street from my place and it's called Bar Crudo.  You can also get your fill of fancy beers there too.  Old school SF place for seafood is called Sam's Grill - older than the city I think.

If Asian's your thing, any number of massage parlors in either China Town or the Sunset will take care of you.  If you want the food, I'd suggest Slanted Door (Vietnamese) or you can drop a ton of cash at Hakkasan.  Sadly, Tommy Toys is now closed, which was the best old school place.

Italian is easy.  Just walk up and down Columbus in North Beach and find something you like on the menu.  I also recommend Centerfold's and to stay out of the Lusty Lady - it's unionized.  Think about that for a second.  If you want something closer to your hotel, I like Perbacco.  If you're in the Mission, I like Flour + Water.  If you want to make a nice night out of your trip to Toronado, I would recommend Uva Enoteca (Italian), but truthfully, Toronado's is best enjoyed with Rosamunde (suasage) or Memphis Minnie's (BBQ).

And a couple of my more casual and affordable favorite places are Slow Club, First Crush (all organic, huge selection of Zin's, right next to your hotel), Q, Nopa, and Foreign Cinema.

If you need rec's by neighborhood or something, let me know.

27>34

Yada

« Reply #2815 on: June 27, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »

That's right, my bad.

My favorite Steak House is Bourbon Steak.  It's not too far from your hotel.  Something slightly more old school SF would Alfred's.  Both can be pricey.

My favorite seafood place is down the street from my place and it's called Bar Crudo.  You can also get your fill of fancy beers there too.  Old school SF place for seafood is called Sam's Grill - older than the city I think.

If Asian's your thing, any number of massage parlors in either China Town or the Sunset will take care of you.  If you want the food, I'd suggest Slanted Door (Vietnamese) or you can drop a ton of cash at Hakkasan.  Sadly, Tommy Toys is now closed, which was the best old school place.

Italian is easy.  Just walk up and down Columbus in North Beach and find something you like on the menu.  I also recommend Centerfold's and to stay out of the Lusty Lady - it's unionized.  Think about that for a second.  If you want something closer to your hotel, I like Perbacco.  If you're in the Mission, I like Flour + Water.  If you want to make a nice night out of your trip to Toronado, I would recommend Uva Enoteca (Italian), but truthfully, Toronado's is best enjoyed with Rosamunde (suasage) or Memphis Minnie's (BBQ).

And a couple of my more casual and affordable favorite places are Slow Club, First Crush (all organic, huge selection of Zin's, right next to your hotel), Q, Nopa, and Foreign Cinema.

If you need rec's by neighborhood or something, let me know.

you da man!

vansmack

« Reply #2816 on: June 28, 2013, 11:30:44 am »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2817 on: June 28, 2013, 12:22:33 pm »
If any Android users would like to Beta Test and app that friends of mine are working on, shoot me a PM.

It's essentially "Tasker" - which is an app that helps automate things based on location, time, situation, etc. only made for the masses.  Tasker is for programmers, to where this app is for the every day user.  Let me know!
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2818 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:13 am »
I'm hardly a networking expert, is it easy to turn the VPN off/on when wanted at the router level?  maybe have two different routers (VPN/non)?  is that crazy?

I am no longer the networking expert in my household, but my lady friend who is happens to be at a networking conference at the moment.  When she returns tomorrow, I'll ask her.

any update from your lady friend on the VPN issues?

I'm slowly assembling my cord-cutting gear -- got an indoor antenna and a roku 3 on the way.  Comcast wants $75/month for their "up to" 50 mbps service, and $80/month for that service + "digital economy" with 40 or so channels (no equipment fees, no HD, one converter/box included).  I think I'm going to try that $80 package and see if I use the TV at all.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #2819 on: July 01, 2013, 01:08:48 pm »
any update from your lady friend on the VPN issues?

Sorry, we were getting our gay on all weekend and I forgot to ask.  I'll send her an email now...
27>34