Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1902734 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3330 on: October 27, 2014, 05:09:50 pm »
Dwarf Stripper Impregnates Bride to be at her Bachelorette Party

This is way better than my "I hope the kid comes out [insert race that's not the same as the fathers]" joke....
27>34

vansmack

27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3332 on: October 30, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »
This is way better than my "I hope the kid comes out [insert race that's not the same as the fathers]" joke....
Is this a thing? Do midgets beget midgets? I feel I should know about this subject matter than I do...
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3333 on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:52 pm »
Is this a thing? Do midgets beget midgets? I feel I should know about this subject matter than I do...

Were you banned for this:

I don't know how I ever missed this movie coming out, but if my local Blockbuster has it, I will be reviewing it by the end of the weekend:

Tiptoes, starring Gary Oldman, Kate Beckinsale, Matthew McConaughey and Patricia Arquette.

Don't miss the Trailer.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3334 on: December 04, 2014, 08:36:07 pm »
Apple Deleted Rivals Songs from Users iPods

Somewhere on this board I talked about this back in the day.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3335 on: December 09, 2014, 05:58:10 pm »
I had this watch before they made this smackie approved commercial:

Moto 360
27>34

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #3336 on: December 09, 2014, 08:24:22 pm »
I had this watch before they made this smackie approved commercial:

Moto 360

this watch was pretty impressive in person too.
nothx

vansmack

« Reply #3337 on: December 16, 2014, 03:36:43 pm »
This photo reminded me of a conversation I had a couple weeks ago at a Roaring 20's party.

The conversation centered on fashion and whether or not the 20's were the best time to go back to for fashion.  I disagreed, citing a number of diffeent arguments, and thought that while the flapper dresses we nice, the the mini skirt and gogo boot era were the ones for me.  Take Smackie back to that time!

They probably were drunk and thought they were getting...

27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3338 on: December 17, 2014, 08:39:48 am »
Kosmette and I recently watched the BBC series "The Supersizers Go" streaming on Hulu.  Where they take a couple back to various time periods in history and have them eat and experience the lifestyles of those times.  We both agreed that 20s in UK would have been a great time period to live.  That series is highly recommended, it's very well researched and presented.
T.Rex

« Reply #3339 on: December 17, 2014, 09:46:04 am »
Kosmette and I recently watched the BBC series "The Supersizers Go" streaming on Hulu.  Where they take a couple back to various time periods in history and have them eat and experience the lifestyles of those times.  We both agreed that 20s in UK would have been a great time period to live.  That series is highly recommended, it's very well researched and presented.
Perhaps you can assist me with a side-question. Hulu Plus is the one subscription video service I don't have (that I'm aware of). Is there anything in the way of exclusive content, either foreign series no one else has or stuff they've produced themselves?
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3340 on: December 17, 2014, 12:26:24 pm »
I don't that Hulu is a studio per say, think they just buy existing content. 
T.Rex

« Reply #3341 on: December 17, 2014, 12:30:50 pm »
I don't that Hulu is a studio per say, think they just buy existing content. 
OK, but do they have any existing content (perhaps from overseas sources like the BCC) that are unavailable elsewhere to someone with HBO/Showtime/Netflix/AmazonPrime?
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3342 on: December 17, 2014, 12:37:40 pm »
And I just realized I didn't actually answer your question.. I know they claim a lot of BBC stuff as exclusive.  But at least one of those series is on the WETA UK.
T.Rex

« Reply #3343 on: December 17, 2014, 12:46:38 pm »
This brings back an idea that I floated on Smackie's FB wall one night drunkenly and he never responded to (no doubt because he's stealing it): but why doesn't someone make an IMDB-esque website/app that comprehensively lists all programs/movies but then at a touch tells you where its available for immediate viewing. Make databases of all the major cable/fiber/satellite companies OnDemand services and keep an up-to-date listing of all the major web based ones (Netflix, Hulu/Plus, Amazon/Prime, HBOgo, ShowtimeAnytime, Vudu) and cross-reference them.

Ideally, I'd open the app, type in "Popular" and be given a few choices of TV shows and movies with the word popular in the title. I'd click on the old WB Series and it'd tell me where I can watch it instantaneously and in what resolutions. Ideally it'd also have a graphical representation of which are free and which are PPV. If I sign up for an in-app account then it'll remember and ONLY display the services I get, great. (Perhaps every 3rd or 4th entry it'll point out what I want is on another service with a direct link to sign up which the app would get a kickback from.) If the app syncs to my blu-ray/smart TV/TiVo/AppleTV/Roku/Chromecast and I can click on an available provider's listing in that aforementioned results screen, start the program on my TV, even better.

HOW DOES THIS NOT EXIST? It seems fairly simple to make (in the realm of apps) and folks of my ilk would use it all the time. It would have multiple revenue streams from day one. WHY IS NO ONE ELSE ENTHUSED BY THIS CONCEPT?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:58:17 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3344 on: December 17, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »
I do remember that now, but I too was drunk when I read it and forgot to circle back to it.  I was thinking about it this morning however, and also the other day when I was looking for Bad Santa, Elf, and other holiday movies.

TiVo was (at least at one point) very good at this.  If you would search for content, it would tell you which channels you subscribed to and which apps you could watch it on.  But that was limited to one device TiVo.

I think you might be approaching it the wrong way though.  I would ignore all of the devices to start and simply start with the content providers.  Devices are dependent on content providers and your willingness to subscribe.  It doesn't matter that it's on Netflix which works on Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android TV, Amazon Fire Stick, etc.  What matters is that you subscribe to Netflix.   

For example, when you sign into the app, you put in your location.  You are then given a list of content providers to choose from to be included in your search, that way it's catered to your subscriptions.  You could also include a checkbox to search all free content providers.  And if your search turns up no results, then you could click a link that shows which content providers you are not subscribed to that offer it.  After you see that Hulu Plus has a few things you've searched for, you've solved your revenue stream model, by taking a cut of the subscriber fee as a referral. 

You could also share the search data with content providers so they know what folks are interested in, and where they are losing out to rival providers.

I like it.  The only hurdle is going to be getting all content providers to share their libraries.
27>34