Author Topic: MBV Roll Call  (Read 33124 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: MBV Roll Call
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2008, 09:25:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Ummmm...so I guess there's hardly any merch left because people bought up everything at the other shows. WTF? They better print up some shit and have it shipped to them by the time they get to the Aragon. They could make a FORTUNE from shirts alone!
crap. i hope there is stuff left for the chicago show.
nothx

jd930

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2008, 09:47:00 am »
  Ummmm...so I guess there's hardly any merch left because people bought up everything at the other shows. WTF? They better print up some shit and have it shipped to them by the time they get to the Aragon. They could make a FORTUNE from shirts alone!
They'd better be making money.  Most shirts were $30 and there was something for $125 (the ls button-up in one of the Vegan pics).  The merch table was definitely swamped every time I passed it.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2008, 11:47:00 am »
I read complaints that the vocals are not loud enough...what a bummer.
(_|_)

jd930

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »
I'll agree that the vocals were low in the mix.  But, I kinda went into it thinking that would be the case.  I don't think that it took away from the overall experience all that much.

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »
Do these people not realize what financial limbo America is in?

Originally posted by jd930:

They'd better be making money.  Most shirts were $30 and there was something for $125 (the ls button-up in one of the Vegan pics).  The merch table was definitely swamped every time I passed it. [/b]

teepo

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »
wow, the merch has a 25% markup from atp prices. i guess roseland(?) takes a large sum of the sales.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »
I sold my ticket to the Chicago show  :(  week ended up being a crazy week at work...working 16 hour days = fun (to be fair, I am making a video game so it sometimes IS fun)!!! ugh.  pretty upset I can't go, hopefully they will come to the baltimore/dc area sometime!

azaghal1981

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »
  Are they doing "Honey Power" any more? I love that song. I'm a little bummed not to hear "Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside)" and "Several Girls Galore", but hey, I'm just happy to see them at all.
They did Honey Power at the first show at the ICA but other than that, I think that's it.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Do these people not realize what financial limbo America is in?
i certainly do.  accordingly, i'm suspending all bboard pursuits and returning to my day job until i see this crisis through.  i challenge all other bboardees to do the same.
<sig>

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
   The recordings I've heard and the show I saw last night matched everything on the albums note for note and with perfect clarity.
I'm glad you enjoyed the show, but it seems odd that a concertgoer would value a concert that "matched everything on the albums note for note."

Let alone the fact that with MBV's massive sound it would seem to be hard to discern individual notes...
_\|/_

azaghal1981

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »
Yeah maybe "note for note" wasn't the best word choice. There were just things I could hear well much moreso than on those old recordings. The lead guitar lines in "When You Sleep" and "I Only Said," for example.

Edit: Just came across the monday NYT interview with Kevin, part of which  pretty much reiterated what I posted above:

During the remastering the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in California made a big offer for a reunited My Bloody Valentine. ??We could actually buy equipment and rehearse properly and do it really well,? Mr. Shields said. ??That put the idea into our head. Last time we toured we never had equipment. It didn??t sound right. We didn??t have control of the environment. So we were kind of excited to play the songs properly.?
احمد

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »
Ok, I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just puzzled by your statement... note-for-note is what Britney does when she lipsynchs.   :)    Thanks for explaining.
_\|/_

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »
ok, ended up going last night instead of monday...was pretty good...

i was really disappointed with the crowd though.  most of them just stood there and didn't seem to be into the music at ALL.  i mean come on.  at least pretend to tap your foot or something.  it ruined the first part of it.  

i had my earplugs in and the sound wasn't as intense as i had wished so i took them out after the first few songs, and kept them out until about five minutes into you made me realise, of course...my trachea was uncontrollably vibrating.  i just closed my eyes, breathed, and meditated.  it was pretty sweet.  when it ended i had this unexplainable feeling, like i had just been spiritually cleansed or something...it was a magical evening.  

the brooklynvegan photos are fucking awful.  don't look at them.  look at mine.  and look at brightest young things tomorrow, they will be up, + a review  :)

http://flickr.com/photos/youbebetty/sets/72157607480533013/

enjoy kittens

Darth Ed

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
 i was really disappointed with the crowd though.  most of them just stood there and didn't seem to be into the music at ALL.  i mean come on.  at least pretend to tap your foot or something.  it ruined the first part of it.
I hate crowds like that, too, but it seems almost appropriate for MBV. That's why they called it shoegaze, right? Well, it was the performers who gazed at their shoes, but surely the '80 audiences were pretty subdued too.

bearman🐻

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2008, 10:56:00 am »
80's audiences weren't subdued. Anyone remember "slam-dancing"? And from the whole late 80's/early 90's Brit-era, people went apeshit at concerts. One of the wildest events to this day I've ever seen was an Inspiral Carpets show back in 1991 at the Metro in Chicago. There was no opening band, and by the time they came out on stage, the audience was pretty antsy to begin with...and once they started to play it was like something out of a Black Flag show. People get thrown around, there was stage-diving, bouncers tackling guys...and a big part of it I think was how psychedelic the slide/light show was. It was like Willy Wonka on steroids. I'll never forget that night as long as I live. So yeah, I can kind of relate when an audience is lame, but sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about getting a Doc Marten boot in the head.