Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2694703 times)

James Ford

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1650 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:18 am »
Andrew Bird/St. Vincent Wed.

The last time I saw Bird was maybe 10 years ago at the old Black Cat. He was playing as Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire. I liked their studio stuff but got bored with the live show and left before it was over.

I'm finally giving him another chance this week. The fact that I like the opener helped me to go deep into the wallet on this one and pay $30 for a show.

brennser

« Reply #1651 on: October 26, 2009, 09:44:09 am »
If I go to anything this week it will be FOTL on Thurs

bearman🐻

« Reply #1652 on: October 26, 2009, 11:12:10 am »
Tues: Ben/Jay

I think that's it for me this week...then November gets crazy busy.

Darth Ed

« Reply #1653 on: October 26, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »
Last night's Rain Machine concert Backstage at the Black Cat was freaking awesome. Too bad only about 50 people showed up for it. I guess the TV on the Radio fans didn't get the memo about Kyp Malone's new band? I really thought this would sell out the Backstage easily. I was blown away by Sharon Van Etten who opened the show. She was really captivating. Best opener I've seen in a long time.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1654 on: October 26, 2009, 12:14:06 pm »
I've been wanting to see her for a while. Could've done her->Wooden Shjips easily. WTF was with the stupid fucking piece of shit Red and Black putting WS on in the middle of three bands? They were easily the most well-known band on that bill. Another dumb blunder brought to us by  the idiots at H St.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1655 on: October 26, 2009, 12:19:44 pm »
Last night's Califone show = one of the best this year. Given the catalog they have, they played for 1 hr. 30 mins...if you were there last night, consider yourself very lucky... ;D

actually my top 3 right now all played the RnR Hotel: Mono, Califone, and A Hawk and a Hacksaw.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1656 on: October 26, 2009, 12:22:27 pm »
Just think of how much better those three would have been if they didn't take place in a room that didn't sound like the inside of a brontosaurus' anus.
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1657 on: October 26, 2009, 12:23:39 pm »
La Roux announced a date in February at Webster Hall  so Id imagine there might be more tour dates added then as well.

Im in for The National show - but seeing them on Saturday and doing the whole art show thing beforehand. Should be interesting.

Last night: Girl Talk
Tues afternoon: Weezer @ Hard Rock Cafe
Sat: The Long Count

This week:

-Monday: La Roux @ Highline Ballroom (So sad she fucked over DC. Sorry guys.)
-Tuesday: Florence and the Machine @ Bowery Ballroom (Ditto.)
-Wednesday: The Long Count (feat. Shara Worden, Kim and Kelley Deal, and The National) @ Brooklyn Academy of Music (xneverwherex, you in?)
-Thursday: Britt Daniel @ Mississippi Studios (Portland)
-Sunday: Atlas Sound / Broadcast @ Doug Fir Lounge
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1658 on: October 26, 2009, 12:33:13 pm »
i don't have a problem with the sound at RnR.
perhaps you shouldn't go there on Thursday...

Just think of how much better those three would have been if they didn't take place in a room that didn't sound like the inside of a brontosaurus' anus.
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #1659 on: October 26, 2009, 01:11:36 pm »
Man, I was loving the line-up switch.  I was beat from a wedding the previous day, so being home by 11:30 was aces in my book. 

Did you catch Wooden Shjips in Baltimore on Saturday?

I've been wanting to see her for a while. Could've done her->Wooden Shjips easily. WTF was with the stupid fucking piece of shit Red and Black putting WS on in the middle of three bands? They were easily the most well-known band on that bill. Another dumb blunder brought to us by  the idiots at H St.

eltee

« Reply #1660 on: October 26, 2009, 02:47:13 pm »
Ben/Jay Tues.
(I'm glad I looked here b/c I somehow I began to think Ben/Jay was on Wed., with Bird on Thurs.)
I'm a maybe for Andrew Bird.
And, yes, Nov. is crazy.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1661 on: October 26, 2009, 04:49:44 pm »
That's totally understandable but I was hoping to do Sarah Silverman->WS but those hopes were dashed by a group of clowns (red & black) who don't know how to run a concert venue. Hopefully they'll play Comet or Velvet next time. H St. and DC9 has been pulling in so many shows that they don't deserve to have lately.

Planned to do the Baltimore show until my ride decided not to go. :(

Man, I was loving the line-up switch.  I was beat from a wedding the previous day, so being home by 11:30 was aces in my book. 

Did you catch Wooden Shjips in Baltimore on Saturday?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:29:25 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

eltee

« Reply #1662 on: October 27, 2009, 12:19:34 pm »
Does everyone planning to go to Ben/Jay have a ticket already? I have an extra for sale. Lemme know. I hear tickets are limited.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1663 on: October 27, 2009, 01:03:44 pm »
Just get there early if you can and sell it to the first person  you see  walk up to the box.

احمد

killsaly

« Reply #1664 on: October 27, 2009, 03:32:06 pm »
Anbody make it out for RDS?  I missed it, completely forgot it was this week.  They were really good and noisy last time i saw them, at their last UMD show, and i cant imagine they did anything but get better...