Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2693649 times)

Unsanity

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #5985 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:47 am »
Nice to know Franz Ferdinand still bring it live. Saw them at the HFSmas Nutcracker long time ago and they were great.

I think I'll be the Saint Vitus gig at Empire on Sunday.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5986 on: October 18, 2013, 08:12:05 am »
Yeah FF was great last night, definitely not a band content with just reproducing their studio recordings live.  Also, interesting to note based on their older setlists they even mix up the order of their song from night to night.  Always nice to get a career spanning setlist as well.

For me the highlight was again the extended version of "This Fire", really way into the "dub reggae" breakdowns in that 7 or so minute performance.

Also for some reason they way Alex broke out of the "I Feel Love" bit of "Can't Stop Feeling" was spine tingling.  Really can't go wrong with a solid hard driving rhythm section and jarring guitars.  And of course they do the slow/fast so very well.

Liked what I heard of the opener Frankie Rose, heard touches of Lush, Primitives and Cocteau Twins.  Almost a perfect opener for FF.
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #5987 on: October 18, 2013, 08:18:53 am »

Also for some reason they way Alex broke out of the "I Feel Love" bit of "Can't Stop Feeling" was spine tingling. 

probably the highlight for me.

I have to add that it being my first IMP since.... I felt real bummed not to see That Guy there...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5988 on: October 18, 2013, 09:56:09 am »
I couldn't help but think during FF's brief version of Donna Summer's "I Feel Love", of the Bronski Beat/Marc Almond take on it was what sprang to mind.  Which I've seen referred to as "two cats in heat".... 
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5989 on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:40 am »
was it a good venue for them?
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5990 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:30 am »
Better than DAR that's for sure, ideally they would work best at a 2nd festival stage.  So too big for 930, possibly at Patriot center with a GA floor.  But you can't ask for better sight lines or sound then at Strathmore
T.Rex

eros

« Reply #5991 on: October 18, 2013, 11:45:07 am »
This was my first time at the Strathmore and I was blown away by how nice it was.  A beautiful room with near perfect sound.  No drinks at your seats is kind of a drag, but I guess I understand why they do it there.  One odd thing - did anyone notice the burning smell for a good part of the show?  It smelled like something had gone terribly wrong in the kitchen.

FF was spot on.  Very very tight musically.  Kind of a strange move to not play your comeback single on a tour like this (I like that song!).  I hope IMP can book more shows like this there in the future (kicking myself for missing Sigur Ros there way back when).
ʎɐʍou

azaghal1981

« Reply #5992 on: October 18, 2013, 11:52:36 am »
Yeah FF was great last night, definitely not a band content with just reproducing their studio recordings live.  Also, interesting to note based on their older setlists they even mix up the order of their song from night to night.  Always nice to get a career spanning setlist as well.

For me the highlight was again the extended version of "This Fire", really way into the "dub reggae" breakdowns in that 7 or so minute performance.

Also for some reason they way Alex broke out of the "I Feel Love" bit of "Can't Stop Feeling" was spine tingling.  Really can't go wrong with a solid hard driving rhythm section and jarring guitars.  And of course they do the slow/fast so very well.

Liked what I heard of the opener Frankie Rose, heard touches of Lush, Primitives and Cocteau Twins.  Almost a perfect opener for FF.

Happy you dug Frankie Rose! I almost went when I found out she was on the bill.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #5993 on: October 18, 2013, 12:12:57 pm »

FF was spot on.  Very very tight musically.  Kind of a strange move to not play your comeback single on a tour like this (I like that song!). 

the first encore song was supposed to be a new song .. right words or the strawberries song i think (i'll chec k my setlist later) but evidently they called an audible and gave us jacqueline... i'm guessing becuase when they played one of the new songs earlier nobody knew it..

edit: confirmed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:20:49 pm by hutch »

eros

« Reply #5994 on: October 18, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »
the first encore song was supposed to be a new song .. right words or the strawberries song i think (i'll chec k my setlist later) but evidently they called an audible and gave us jacqueline... i'm guessing becuase when they played one of the new songs earlier nobody knew it..

edit: confirmed.

I did get the feeling they changed it, but that it was due to all the family members they acknowledged in the audience.  Ah well.  Still enjoyed it.
ʎɐʍou

K8teebug

« Reply #5995 on: October 18, 2013, 04:22:11 pm »
This was my first time at the Strathmore and I was blown away by how nice it was.  A beautiful room with near perfect sound.  No drinks at your seats is kind of a drag, but I guess I understand why they do it there.  One odd thing - did anyone notice the burning smell for a good part of the show?  It smelled like something had gone terribly wrong in the kitchen.

FF was spot on.  Very very tight musically.  Kind of a strange move to not play your comeback single on a tour like this (I like that song!).  I hope IMP can book more shows like this there in the future (kicking myself for missing Sigur Ros there way back when).

I was at that Sigur Ros show and it was unbelievable...But now I live vicariously through everyone's recaps as I don't get to as many shows!

analogfossa

« Reply #5996 on: October 18, 2013, 05:21:03 pm »

Happy you dug Frankie Rose! I almost went when I found out she was on the bill.

She have been great each time I've seen her. 1st time at Golden West with DIIV when they were still going by just Dive. Franz was awesome

K8teebug

« Reply #5997 on: October 21, 2013, 12:33:47 pm »
How was NIN?

killsaly

« Reply #5998 on: October 21, 2013, 12:39:43 pm »
Thursday - Peals for their Mobtown Microshow

Friday - maybe the Water/USAA Pleasuredome early show for the Gonzo beer/art thing in Baltimore; Probably the Chiffon/Weekends round robin show at the Crown later that night

Sunday - leaning towards Kurt Vile at the Ottobar

Yada

« Reply #5999 on: October 21, 2013, 12:45:57 pm »
Thursday - Peals for their Mobtown Microshow

Friday - maybe the Water/USAA Pleasuredome early show for the Gonzo beer/art thing in Baltimore; Probably the Chiffon/Weekends round robin show at the Crown later that night

Sunday - leaning towards Kurt Vile at the Ottobar

So bummed Kurt V is on the same night as Pearl Jam.