Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 633955 times)

vansmack

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #1575 on: February 10, 2016, 05:15:59 pm »
Nats system keeps getting worse...

"A top-heavy system with a couple of potential stars, some depth in position players up the middle, but a somewhat quick falloff after the first 8-10 names. It doesn't set them up well for many trades, but you have to be a potential star to crack the lineup or rotation in D.C., and they do have a few of those prospects."
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1576 on: February 10, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »
NOT LAST!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

"It's still not a good system, but it's the first time in maybe a decade that it's trending upward"
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1577 on: February 10, 2016, 05:16:58 pm »
NOT LAST!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

"It's still not a good system, but it's the first time in maybe a decade that it's trending upward"
NOT LAST!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1578 on: February 18, 2016, 09:25:53 pm »
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/yankees-exec-gets-snobby-when-defending-new-ticket-policy-235122871.html

Team COO Lonn Trost pretty much confirmed that was the case Thursday, telling WFAN the club doesn't want fans buying "premium" seats at a value price, according to Neil Best of Newsday.

?The problem below market at a certain point is that if you buy a ticket in a very premium location and pay a substantial amount of money. It's not that we don't want that fan to sell it, but that fan is sitting there having paid a substantial amount of money for a ticket and [another] fan picks it up for a buck-and-a-half and sits there, and it's frustrating to the purchaser of the full amount. And quite frankly, the fan may be someone who has never sat in a premium location. So that's a frustration to our existing fan base.?

Kubacheck

« Reply #1579 on: February 18, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »
^ yeah, I read the Deadspin version of the story earlier today, that final quote is definitely not a (less than rich) fan friendly one.....

http://deadspin.com/yankees-coo-defends-new-ticketing-policy-like-a-true-ri-1759975895

"Yes, that second quote means exactly what you think it means. Trost is really out here saying that the team doesn?t want the kind of riff-raff that buys cheap tickets on StubHub mixing with rich fans who pay full price to sit in the same section. The Yankees would much rather have those unwanted seats remain empty, so as to prevent the rich folk from having to mix with dirty poors."

shemptiness

« Reply #1580 on: February 18, 2016, 09:53:49 pm »
They're Yankee fans - they're all riff-raff.

Kubacheck

« Reply #1581 on: February 19, 2016, 07:55:06 pm »
btw, I read something more about the new MLB.TV subscription options the other day..... mlb.premium is down to $109, as was previously noted... single team is $84, also as previously noted... but mlb.premium is still subject to local blackouts when teams are playing your local team, so now they're offering a "follow your team" option for an extra $10 that is supposed to mean that that teams games will NOT be subject to local blackouts providing you already get that local teams games (MASN, if you live in the DC/Baltimore area) as part of your regular TV package.... here's the excerpted text from the email I got from MLB the other day about it....

Follow Your Team: MLB will allow all MLB.TV purchasers who subscribe to Comcast, DIRECTV, or certain other cable, satellite or other providers to purchase a "Follow Your Team" option that will allow them to receive telecasts of their favorite out-of-market team's broadcaster without any blackouts-even when it is playing an in-market team, so long as the purchaser receives the in-market team's programming through his or her television service. This product will cost no more than $10 more than a standard MLB.TV package, which will raise the overall price of the MLB.TV package to $119.99 for a full season in 2016 for consumers selecting this enhancement.

vansmack

« Reply #1582 on: February 20, 2016, 12:27:40 pm »
Correct.  The big issue there is that you still have to subscribe to a TV package and pay $119.

What folks wanted was a standalone MLB package where you didn't have to have cable but could still watch your local market games.  That hasn't been offered yet.
27>34

Kubacheck

« Reply #1583 on: February 20, 2016, 05:18:43 pm »
^ I'm just glad I should now be able to get the Red Sox broadcasts when they're in Baltimore..... it's worth an extra $10 just for that....

vansmack

« Reply #1584 on: February 22, 2016, 08:14:35 pm »
Jays working on a trade for Reds Jay Bruce. 

3-Team trade would send Michael Saunders to Angels.
27>34

Kubacheck

« Reply #1585 on: February 22, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »
I wish the Red Sox could trade about 50 lbs of Pablo Sandoval's girth......

vansmack

« Reply #1586 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:04 pm »

Not a single sympathetic nod out here in Giants land - all over the news with accompanying jokes.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #1587 on: February 22, 2016, 09:47:31 pm »

Not a single sympathetic nod out here in Giants land - all over the news with accompanying jokes.

that is just silly... I mean he was great for the Giants... so clutch... but I guess people forget how much he helped get those rings and just focus on the fact he took the money and ran... its human nature but not a particularly endearing trait..

Kubacheck

« Reply #1588 on: February 22, 2016, 10:01:45 pm »

that is just silly... I mean he was great for the Giants... so clutch... but I guess people forget how much he helped get those rings and just focus on the fact he took the money and ran... its human nature but not a particularly endearing trait..

as a Sox fan, I don't have to get hung up on that as it relates to Sandoval, he hasn't (and I honestly don't think ever will) helped the Sox do anything.... all his signing did was waste $19 Mil a year that could've been better spent elsewhere....

hutch

« Reply #1589 on: February 22, 2016, 10:26:10 pm »

as a Sox fan, I don't have to get hung up on that as it relates to Sandoval, he hasn't (and I honestly don't think ever will) helped the Sox do anything.... all his signing did was waste $19 Mil a year that could've been better spent elsewhere....

well, yeah.. agree with you.. I just was thinking of all the people in San Francisco Smackie was referring to...