Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313910 times)

killsaly

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1935 on: April 22, 2016, 11:41:52 am »
Now, I'm not normally one to doubt how much of a fan anyone might be about any given band, but as I saw it, roughly 75% of the crowd just stood there staring at the stage, not even bobbing their heads, and giving a golf clap in between songs.
You must not go to many shows in DC.  That describes 90% of the crowds at 90% of the DC shows that I attend. 

Though, it was a fun scene to observe, and it was fun for a shy introverted boy who wasn't getting laid much to rub against other boys and even (gasp, woohoo) the occasional girl.
I know you probably did not mean it this way, but you sound like you are bragging about molesting people. 

« Reply #1936 on: April 22, 2016, 11:51:05 am »
Dag Nasty last night was pretty fuckin awesome. When I was 16 and missed the cubby bear gig I never realized it would be 28 years before I had the opportunity to see them. When the show was first announced I was really hoping that they were going to have Dave Smalley on vocals, not a big fan of the Dag With Shawn version of Can I Say. But he changed my mind last night, he's amazing live. And of course, Brian Baker. I mean, what else can you say?

Now, I'm not normally one to doubt how much of a fan anyone might be about any given band, but as I saw it, roughly 75% of the crowd just stood there staring at the stage, not even bobbing their heads, and giving a golf clap in between songs. I didn't get the feeling that they were there because they like the band. Like the guy next to me... he just stood there motionless the entire time EXCEPT when they covered Minor Threat, but after that he pulled out his cell phone and left. Didn't make sense to me. I'm not saying they had to be moshing and stage diving, cause well, the median age appeared to be about 45 and that could kill most of us, but show some excitement dammit! And kudos to the old farts that WHERE moshing and crowd surfing. I hope you're not TOO sore today lol.

First off it was an Epic show...Can I say was on very heavy rotation in my headphones and at the ramp in the mid-to-late 80s
hadn't really listened to it since the 80's but started again a few weeks back and still love it

At that time, while I was a huge DC and NYC hardcore fan, I didn't catch that many shows while a rabid fan living close to the epicenter hardcore (NYC --the dc bands came up all the time)
 (still lamenting that 30 years later)

So Dag was always a bucket list band (with Rollins BF and Bifaria DKs) to see live

and yes Dave Smally is really the voice IMO...although listening to it today, I didn't realize how much he sounded like Ian (and Ian produced that album)

But I listened to the Dag with Shaun stuff and started coming around
I though he did a fantastic job on the vox
but the rest of the band was just stellar...BB's guitar work sounded fuckin' awesome and just made me smile a huge grin
Bass and drums were great too

I love how a sold out show at the black cat is not crazy packed unlike a sold out show at 930

the crowd....man I was really surprised, in that they were a seminal DC/HC band and that there would be some rabid old school fans.  Kinda shocked how laid back most of the crowd was
I was mid way back dead center and I could see the front was rocking it out, singing along and raising their hands at the appropriated times
 and there was a little crowd surfing (which is forbidden as posted at the entrance ;))

Was nice we got Little Friend by Minor Threat!
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #1937 on: April 28, 2016, 09:41:06 am »
Really great Bob Mould show last night. :)

bob72

« Reply #1938 on: April 28, 2016, 10:08:55 am »
agreed... I had a blast.

1. I can't believe Ted Leo doesn't tour with back-up guitar lol
2. Bob's a pretty big guy, kind of awkward and lurchy, and I swear there were a couple of times as he would start circling the stage that he was going to fall and break a hip lol

PENIS

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #1939 on: April 28, 2016, 10:21:09 am »

Such a great show; and Bob's energy is truly inspiring for us older gents.
Here is the Ramones cover they did, Wurster on Vocals, Ted Leo on Drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPS8F1Cv2U

« Reply #1940 on: April 28, 2016, 10:37:36 am »

I'm not sure what my problem is and I keep missing his shows
tons of sugar and Du
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #1941 on: April 28, 2016, 11:09:02 am »

I'm not sure what my problem is and I keep missing his shows
tons of sugar and Du

Loved the new LP material. I think it fits seamlessly with the other songs. Jon Wurster can bash the hell out of a Husker Du tune. I'm amazed at his versatility. One night he finished a Mountain Goats show, the next night he started the Bob Mould tour. They don't really rehearse as a band. What you see on stage is natural chemistry, and that's incredible to me. "In a Free Land" in particular was wonderful to hear. Super fun to talk to folks after the show...nice to see Brendan Canty and Laura & Betsy from Ex Hex too. When you talk to those gals, you realize how truly rock'n'roll they are. Everyone was in such a good mood. I think that because the band were in Minneapolis the day Prince died, it sort of set a tone for these shows and the band seemed incredibly grateful and humbled.

hutch

« Reply #1942 on: April 29, 2016, 08:22:22 am »
saw Bunny Wailer last night...I think but am not sure the last time he was in the area was 2006 at Wolftrap and I always kicked myself for missing that...

anyways he played the Howard and i got a ticket on goldstar for about $9 all in...

he played a very similar set list to this 2014 show

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bunny-wailer/2014/paradiso-amsterdam-netherlands-3bceb888.html

the early songs from blackheart man were played as part of a medley which was a bummer for me as i love those songs and wanted to hear them fully fleshed out.... meanwhile a bunch of bob marley and tosh covers were played in full....

i really appreciated the 930 listing set times on day of show when the howard said doors 7 show 8.. i got there 820.. an "opening band" was finishing up (opener had not been mentioned anywhere..)..they must have finished about 845 or so and then the long unbearable wait until about 1030... not a good night not to be drinking.maybe they wanted to push drinks given attendance was not all that (they closed the upstairs off- it did end up filling up pretty good in the stage level)... anyways band comes on..full band! three horns, two keyboards, drummer, guitar, bassist and 2 backing vocalists.. then bunny comes on... not much left of his curt mayfield-ish falsettoish croon ..  wailer came out in full regalia.. apparently he is known as "the emperor" and he looked the part... i thought he did a great job with the limited pipes he has left... all the usual reggae show annoyances were there: the "are you allright out there?" permanent shout-outs.. the overbearing synthesized keyboards... but in spite of it all i enjoyed myself... the crowd was really into it.. lots of people from the caribbean or whatever.. a ton of men and women really dressed up nice... a lot of rastas....i did not see ian mackaye or HR........

he played about 90 mimutes.. afterwards i learned that the guitar player used to be in roots radics and is some sort of "legend"..

stood outside his tour bus and got to go in and talk to him briefly and get my 2 records signed..some loser before me had bunny sign about 50 records and bunny obliged... i could not believe it.. i wanted to throttle him hard... he was a serious autograph hound.. the kind that gives people like me a bad name.... no doubt he'll sell this stuff on ebay or to collectors.. his records already had a ton of autographs including lee perry on them.......

bunny is pretty spry for near 70..still some good dance moves

for those that don't know and it seems like many don't bunny wailer was one of the original wailers when they were an impressions-like 3 piece with marley, tosh and bunny.... bunny and bob were early childhood friends in the early 60s.. in fact his dad and bob's mom got married.. pretty close... bunny left the wailers in 73 when chris blackwell focused on bob marley...

« Reply #1943 on: April 29, 2016, 08:30:28 am »
the overbearing synthesized keyboards
good review...but this for me is when Reggae jumped the shark and I could no longer find it enjoyable
I don't know the exact year, but by 1980 possibly earlier, there is almost zero Jamaican music I like
slack

hutch

« Reply #1944 on: April 29, 2016, 08:40:31 am »
the overbearing synthesized keyboards
good review...but this for me is when Reggae jumped the shark and I could no longer find it enjoyable
I don't know the exact year, but by 1980 possibly earlier, there is almost zero Jamaican music I like

totally agree although I do like Black Uhuru.. that is the end of the line for me...

maybe the keyboards last night weren't that bad...I don't know.. will have to check my recording some day

I have just become really really paranoid of overbearing keyboards in reggae.. and why do they need two keyboardists always? its not like the stuff is so complex?

the drums were not synthesized..

I'm glad I went but the two hour wait (my fault maybe for not calling the venue) was excrutiating for me.... the highlight for me was the stuff from Blackheart Man which is a roots classic... but I didn't need to hear him sing No woman no cry or Legalize it.. just me... the crowd seemed to love it..

and I can't recall ever being on a tour bus.. he had a real nice room in the back with a full bed.. I think his wife, "The Empress" was the woman sitting with him...

hutch

« Reply #1945 on: April 29, 2016, 08:47:49 am »
i guess i would still say toots slays any other golden era reggae performer by a country mile.. at least as of the last time i saw him (pre-richmond throwing vodka bottle and hitting him on head) a few years ago..toots is really amazing.

bunny's live act is better than ziggy marley or lee perry for me..

i'm sure i'm forgetting some reggae acts i've seen . of course bunny's like 11 years younger than lee perry.... its amazing to think bunny is only 69.. its amazing to think bob marley were he alive would be only 71!  i wonder if he would be met largely by indifference and be forced to play his "hits" from legend...

i do enjoy hearing/seeing aston familyman barrett playing the bass... he's still worth seeing if you ever see that "the wailers" are coming ....

anyways i was excited to see bunny last night and am glad i went

Got Haggis?

« Reply #1946 on: April 29, 2016, 09:20:43 am »
saw Youth Code last night and as predicted, Orpheus was the shittiest venue ever to see bands.  For anyone that has been there before, the "stage" was the slightly (1/4"?) raised wooden dancefloor.  The bands had more space than the people at the show...there was maybe 5 or 6 feet between the "stage" and the bar.

and to top it off, the sound was complete crap.  I could barely hear the vocals of the first two bands.  Youth Code were better, but at the same time, I could hear Sara screaming over the speakers....like her voice was louder than the speaker output!!  Despite the completely shitty sound, Youth Code still managed to KILL IT.

and they promised to come back and do a proper baltimore/DC show (sara kept apologizing over and over for the shitty sound and venue, heh)

hutch

« Reply #1947 on: April 29, 2016, 09:22:07 am »
anyone able to compare the 930 Club vs Howard soundsystem?

I noticed the Howard was pretty darn impressive....

bob72

« Reply #1948 on: April 29, 2016, 09:48:49 am »
anyone able to compare the 930 Club vs Howard soundsystem?

I noticed the Howard was pretty darn impressive....
I'm no audiophile, but I saw Living Colour at Howard last month and I have no complaints about the system. Loudness was perfect and clear, and considering how much of a shredder Vernon Reid can be, I could hear every note he picked.
PENIS

killsaly

« Reply #1949 on: April 29, 2016, 01:17:12 pm »
and they promised to come back and do a proper baltimore/DC show (sara kept apologizing over and over for the shitty sound and venue, heh)
Aw man.... Good thing I was not feeling great and decided to bail on it.  I saw people in the event page worried about the sound system, sucks to hear they did not do shit about it...

I hope the next Youth Code show is sooner than later.  U St, Metro Gallery Ottobar, SoundStage, etc... Any of those venues would sound good with their musical style.