Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305122 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1590 on: September 08, 2015, 10:24:04 am »
That was one of the best Fridays in a long time..........Swervedriver  then PILL.....  8)

Another band we wanted to see (Pill) was playing the Crown (a few blocks from the Ottobar) and we decided to get food there (it is a restaurant/lounge/music venue). That way we could figure out if it was feasible to watch Swervedriver and then watch Pill (it was) and also their food is decent.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1591 on: September 10, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »
Godspeed was thoroughly enjoyable last night.  it's been a while since i've been at the club, i forgot how awesome that PA sounds.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1592 on: September 10, 2015, 03:36:34 pm »
yah Godspeed + 930 is a great combo.

enjoyed the two new songs that they did as well.....wow.

did you catch Xylouris White?  Jim White is a beast on the drums!

Godspeed was thoroughly enjoyable last night.  it's been a while since i've been at the club, i forgot how awesome that PA sounds.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1593 on: September 10, 2015, 04:26:54 pm »
did you catch Xylouris White?  Jim White is a beast on the drums!

i didn't.  i was running late, so it came down to catching the opener or checking out Right Proper.

from what i saw online of Xylouris White, it was interesting to me for about 2 minutes then i got bored with the rambling bazooki (or whatever that stringed instrument is) and drums that are trying way too hard to be a lead instrument.  it's impressive... but not very interesting.

instead, i enjoyed a few excellent beers at RP.  they even had an Alpine pale ale on tap which was both impressive and interesting :)
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1594 on: September 14, 2015, 05:06:59 pm »
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #1595 on: September 14, 2015, 05:35:51 pm »
from what i saw online of Xylouris White, it was interesting to me for about 2 minutes then i got bored with the rambling bazooki (or whatever that stringed instrument is)
Lute. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #1596 on: September 18, 2015, 09:43:33 am »
That Ride show surpassed all of my expectations. First night of the tour, so understandably it took a few songs before the band began to stretch their legs, but by the time they got to "Dreams Burn Down" they were on fire. After 25 years those songs are very much a part of my DNA, and I'm so glad that I got finally see them. Hutch, so nice to finally meet you and great to see you again Sidehatch. I ended up meeting the band afterwards (something I haven't attempted to do in years, but the 20-something groupie in me couldn't resist) and they were just the nicest guys. Andy Bell in particular is great. He must have talked with us for like 20 minutes. So very, very happy this show happened. Solid turnout too.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1597 on: September 18, 2015, 10:59:08 am »
Great setlist but probably one of the worst sounding shows I've seen at the club.

That Ride show surpassed all of my expectations. First night of the tour, so understandably it took a few songs before the band began to stretch their legs, but by the time they got to "Dreams Burn Down" they were on fire. After 25 years those songs are very much a part of my DNA, and I'm so glad that I got finally see them. Hutch, so nice to finally meet you and great to see you again Sidehatch. I ended up meeting the band afterwards (something I haven't attempted to do in years, but the 20-something groupie in me couldn't resist) and they were just the nicest guys. Andy Bell in particular is great. He must have talked with us for like 20 minutes. So very, very happy this show happened. Solid turnout too.
(_|_)

« Reply #1598 on: September 18, 2015, 11:59:26 am »
Couldn't agree more, sound was tight, capacity was perfect IMO (full, but not insanely packed)
Boots On the Ground, twisterella, Taste and OX4 were just awesome.  Was nice they gave us some special songs that they hadn't played live in 20+ years

They made some shout outs to those in the crowd who saw them in 91 at the old 930 and referenced the stench and the rats and asked who was at that show and about 20 people called out

Andy later in the night said "who out there is at their first Ride show" and of course 100's enthusiastically shouted "Then this one is for you" and the broke into a killer Vapor Trail that went in to a barn-burner Drive Blind with a 10 min guitar jam to make your ears bleed spinal fluid.

The closed the encore with Seagull, which sounded amazing

The drums were just so great and until seeing them live, I didn't realize how critical they were in the sound and feel of the band.

I'm soo glad I had my ear plugs in...it was LOUD.  I took them out for the last song and it was amazing and quite painful. 

Bummed we didn't see the band as we stayed somewhat late and must have just missed them as we talked to Bearman outside before he ended up meeting with them.

Didn't see any of the other boardies, but must have been just a few feet from Killsaly based on his Instathiny post.

top 10 930 show for me!
slack

« Reply #1599 on: September 18, 2015, 12:01:21 pm »
Great setlist but probably one of the worst sounding shows I've seen at the club.
Not sure where you were and I also wore my fancy Ear Peace plugs
but I thought the sound was fantastic and exactly how I would have wanted it

I commented to others that I was so glad to catch them at the club, as they would have sounded awful at a big festival where they had to blast the sound out to 75,000 people in the open air
slack

gavroche

« Reply #1600 on: September 18, 2015, 12:26:10 pm »

Going into this show I was a bit worried that it was going to be a boring show.  It did drag a little bit at the beginning but by the end of the show it was really spectacular.  As expected, a VERY loud show.  My friends were quite happy that I insisted they bring ear plugs.  I was shocked/amazed at the number of people who weren't wearing any.  I was in the center of the floor about 2/3rds of the way back and I didn't have any sound complaints.  It was full without being uncomfortable and the band really seemed to be having fun.  A good time for sure.  I missed the opener and am not impressed with Right Proper (though at least the beer is pretty cheap).

azaghal1981

« Reply #1601 on: September 18, 2015, 01:21:56 pm »
Killsaly was texting me sound complaints for a while last night.

The Quintron set was excellent and much heavier than expected. It was essentially a 30-minute improvised doom metal jam. Quintron let the Weather Warlock do its thing for a while before the set. Union Arts has a small outside deck that the band set up/played on because the synth needed to be outside in order to be exposed by the weather. It seemed as though everything from the breeze blowing to leaves blowing passed it to the sunset caused different sounds/pitch and volume changes. It also has inputs that a player can manipulate in tandem with the weather effects. Well worth checking out in Baltimore on Sunday.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:24:34 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #1602 on: September 18, 2015, 01:25:50 pm »
I thought the bass was too loud for that type of music.  I tried different spots in the club; including near the stage, and by the sound booth. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:28:05 pm by killsaly »

hutch

« Reply #1603 on: September 18, 2015, 01:30:04 pm »
not much I can add...

I thought the show was spectacular....sound good too...

great meeting you Bearman!

from my perspective the only possible criticisms could be the use of tapes for some of the keyboards etc but I find it understandable......and maybe that as the show went on I found it harder to hear the bass...but that may have been due to where I'm standing..the overall sound got louder as I moved forward..but the bass was more drowned by the wash of guitars...

I am really pleased with the show....well worth the wait...

sorry I missed the band but can't win them all..

and  I see someone saying the bass was too loud....I definitely didn't hear that way but doesn't mean it wasn't so...I would have to go back to the recording to hear...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:36:38 pm by Hutch »

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1604 on: September 18, 2015, 01:47:44 pm »
Great show.

I thought it skewed more "britpop" than "noise" until the last few songs, which I was totally fine with.

Earplugs were a must have, it got REALLY loud. I agree that the bass was a bit much and too muddy. It sounded worse to me during DIIV than it did for Ride.
(o|o)