Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305194 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1605 on: September 18, 2015, 02:13:02 pm »

azaghal1981

« Reply #1606 on: September 18, 2015, 03:02:32 pm »
My Bloody Valentine did this and it made  perfect sense for them.
from my perspective the only possible criticisms could be the use of tapes for some of the keyboards etc but I find it understandable......
احمد

lagas

« Reply #1607 on: September 18, 2015, 07:36:12 pm »
I really liked the new DIIV songs. Glad they play more new ones than old ones.

And yes, Ride was dangerously loud even when using earplugs. I don't know them that much but overall I enjoyed it plenty.
zorra

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1608 on: September 18, 2015, 09:18:31 pm »
Diiv sucked and were unwatchable

Seen far worse openers though
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1609 on: September 18, 2015, 10:09:10 pm »
I told you to come to Quintron. His/their set was over by 7:45. You could've seen Olivia Neutron-John too and gotten there in time to catch the whole Ride set.
Diiv sucked and were unwatchable

Seen far worse openers though
احمد

walk,on,by

« Reply #1610 on: September 18, 2015, 10:24:00 pm »
Olivia Neutron-John?  please, stop it, going nowhere bands.

hutch

« Reply #1611 on: September 19, 2015, 12:59:40 pm »
Olivia Neutron-John?  please, stop it, going nowhere bands.

going nowhere bands? hobo rock is taking over.

K8teebug

« Reply #1612 on: September 21, 2015, 08:46:11 am »
Killsaly was texting me sound complaints for a while last night.

The Quintron set was excellent and much heavier than expected. It was essentially a 30-minute improvised doom metal jam. Quintron let the Weather Warlock do its thing for a while before the set. Union Arts has a small outside deck that the band set up/played on because the synth needed to be outside in order to be exposed by the weather. It seemed as though everything from the breeze blowing to leaves blowing passed it to the sunset caused different sounds/pitch and volume changes. It also has inputs that a player can manipulate in tandem with the weather effects. Well worth checking out in Baltimore on Sunday.

I actually wished they would have just let the Weather Warlock do its thing. I didn't care for the saxophones. Liked the guitar/drums though. But, the Weather Warlock itself was really cool!

bearman🐻

« Reply #1613 on: September 21, 2015, 09:55:27 am »
Saw Ride in Philly Saturday. I sort of preferred the DC setlist, even though Philly got to hear "Chelsea Girl" and "Mouse Trap". DC had "Cool Your Boots" and "Birdman" (two of my favorites), and the order was different. DC had the better audience. Philly had better sound and a tighter performance, but there was something about the 9:30 show that felt more "right"...maybe it was the first time seeing them and the excitement of not knowing what to expect. Very glad I got to hear "Dreams Burn Down" again because in concert that song sounds so huge. Met David Fricke in a record store too, which was fun. Super nice guy.

gavroche

« Reply #1614 on: September 21, 2015, 10:36:04 am »
I went to see Algiers at the Rock N' Roll Hotel.  Totally fine show, and I still like the band a lot.  That said, a really great reminder of how crap that venue is.  I saw them maybe three months ago at the Black Cat second stage and the sound was a million times better. 

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1615 on: September 21, 2015, 10:38:18 am »
I wanted to go but got lazy.....how were Dark Blue?

I went to see Algiers at the Rock N' Roll Hotel.  Totally fine show, and I still like the band a lot.  That said, a really great reminder of how crap that venue is.  I saw them maybe three months ago at the Black Cat second stage and the sound was a million times better. 
(_|_)

gavroche

« Reply #1616 on: September 21, 2015, 12:24:08 pm »

I only caught 2 songs from Dark Blue so not too much to report back on.  I like the singers voice but find them musically a little boring.

Unsanity

« Reply #1617 on: September 21, 2015, 12:35:35 pm »

I only caught 2 songs from Dark Blue so not too much to report back on.  I like the singers voice but find them musically a little boring.

I totally spaced on this show haha, I would have gone if I remembered it. Anyway, I saw Dark Blue a few weeks ago at the Ottobar and they were sound. Sharkey has a good voice and makes for a good front man. His backing band is kind of a Philly super group haha. I am biased as I was a fan of his previous two outfits. If you like post-punk at all then you would enjoy them live for sure.

« Reply #1618 on: September 24, 2015, 10:56:44 am »
How was the show? Did you get bored? I listened to him and all his songs sound the same (no variety)
I hope he didn't play more than an hour? Lol

Sturgill Simpson Friday. Can't wait!!!
going Wednesday at the Lincoln

So I thought it was a good show, played about 90 mins...no encore
 I sat about 10 rows in front of the sound board...and the vocals were really muddy.  I put the earplugs in and it sounded much better.

His live show tends to be a combination of trippy jams and slow ballads with some bluegrass (although no banjo/mandolin) for good measure

Turtles All the Way Down  -> You Don't Miss Your Water (Otis Redding cover)  was great
and the set closer  Listening To The Rain ->Motivator was also a great way to end the night
I really liked the promise too
didn't get You Can Have the Crown :(

Show did start off really strong...then did drag a little in the middle.  But I was happy to have gone
Would have much rather seen at the club
Was a little annoying to get somewhere at 6:50 for a 9PM show

The comedian who opened was really funny and had us balling
slack

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1619 on: September 24, 2015, 11:03:43 am »
the show was $7 on stubhub at 6 pm...
(_|_)