Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305168 times)

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1830 on: February 10, 2016, 01:42:09 pm »
So I thought this was a better than average wilco show full of energy and the sound was awesome
I think I'm in the double digits too...personally I'd prefer those tours with Jay B, but that's never going to happen again

I did really enjoy the new stuff at the beginning of the set..but I did start to get bored around track 7

I was in dead center ...but last row of the orch and it really sounded clean, not the muddy experience I've had previously at DAR

As usual, Tweedy had some great banter and had the crowd cracking up
Box Full of Letters was really great and a much bigger rendition than the original
probably would have liked a few/different tracks from AM/BT/ST
not a single Woody or UT song...but I'm old and like the early stuff

that last acoustic set was really fantastic
Misunderstood->War on War->It's Just that simple (John Stirratt was awesome!)->shot in the arm->Space Oddity
That just blew me away, will Nels on the steel lap just going off
So freaking good.  Would have been happy just catching that
I was recently commenting that there are almost no good Bowie covers...this is my new exception
What a great version of Space Oddity...perfect way to end the night

Nels is just bonkers sometimes, just going off in this crazy feedback and speedy licks.  Honestly it starting to get a little old...but that's how the songs have been for the last decade
Jeff did get some pretty hard jamming on a few

Glenn is so fun to watch and listen and his stuff on the new album is just great

cool merch and thankfully none said STARWARS (I'm sure they regret the snarky pick for an album title)
they had a great faded green hoodie with this on the back for $50 celebrating 20 years of wilco
if I wasn't broke would have bought

edit...of course the next night
I Got You (At the End of the Century)
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
Red-Eyed and Blue
I'm always in love

But the acoustic set was only 3 songs and no Space Oddity

Edit 2...also saw tix on seatgeek going for $16 before the show and saw a bunch of empty seats (the row I was in only had 5 people out of the 15 seats

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:05:22 pm by Sidehatch ★ |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ❄️ »
slack

Kubacheck

« Reply #1831 on: February 10, 2016, 02:14:17 pm »
for the bit torrent savvy, the Wilco show is up on etree

Yada

« Reply #1832 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:22 am »
For a band I've admittedly seen too many times, I have to say looking at these sets is pretty uninspiring.

I find Nels pretty tedious after all these years.

Space Freely

« Reply #1833 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:01 pm »
For a band I've admittedly seen too many times, I have to say looking at these sets is pretty uninspiring.

I actually love the restraint Nels shows within Wilco. He overwhelmed the Geraldine Fibbers when he joined that band. And I'm sure there's some technical merit to his solo stuff if you're a subscriber to Guitar World, but I'm a simple man and I find it too challenging to wrap my head around.

« Reply #1834 on: February 11, 2016, 12:34:30 pm »

unfortunately I concur
slack

Yada

« Reply #1835 on: February 11, 2016, 01:12:15 pm »

I actually love the restraint Nels shows within Wilco. He overwhelmed the Geraldine Fibbers when he joined that band. And I'm sure there's some technical merit to his solo stuff if you're a subscriber to Guitar World, but I'm a simple man and I find it too challenging to wrap my head around.

Nels shows restraint? My last Wilco show was either the Strathmore show or MPP (whichever one was last) and it was basically just Nels wavering all over the stage slamming his whammy bar. I'm just tired of that really loud crescendo type jam they seem to do in every single song. I can kind of dig his quieter more subtle moments.

Re: Guitar geeks such as your father in law. My dad is a pretty outstanding geetar player and I took him to the MPP show and he had pretty similar thoughts re: Nels, sort of one trick pony esque. Not that my opinion or my dad's matters.

Space Freely

« Reply #1836 on: February 11, 2016, 01:17:24 pm »
For me, what he does in Wilco still works. I understand not everyone would agree.

I think his short blasts work as part of the songs.

I would hate to see him solo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djzslrQrTyI

bob72

« Reply #1837 on: February 12, 2016, 10:57:05 pm »
With the exception of Living Colour at the club three years ago, the last live rock show I saw was Nirvana in support of In Utero (Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, 10/23/1993 supposedly the only known live performance of ?You Know You?re Right). I've attempted many shows since but always bailed at the last moment.  Some I regret (2 PIL shows, a Twighlight Singers/ Margot and the Nuclear So & Sos show), others dodging a bullet (Hole at the club 6/27/10).

But tonight I took a chance at bought a ticket to the Spiders/graveyard show. Long story short it made me realize what I've been missing all these years.

[kids younger than me] + [musical style older than me] = amazeballs
PENIS

killsaly

« Reply #1838 on: February 12, 2016, 11:17:11 pm »
What did you do during all of those years, not go to shows?

bob72

« Reply #1839 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:00 pm »
What did you do during all of those years, not go to shows?
i came out of the closet at 21 (1993) and started frequenting gay clubs/bars and they're not exactly fond of rock music. Also, being Chicago,  House music is VERY important. I started dj'ing, eventually moved to DC continuing on the dj'ing path, and didn't really rediscover rock until a few years ago. Sure I kept up on some more of the mainstream stuff ( Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains) but I didn't pay much attention to the underground stuff
PENIS

Unsanity

« Reply #1840 on: February 13, 2016, 05:56:38 am »
With the exception of Living Colour at the club three years ago, the last live rock show I saw was Nirvana in support of In Utero (Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, 10/23/1993 supposedly the only known live performance of ?You Know You?re Right). I've attempted many shows since but always bailed at the last moment.  Some I regret (2 PIL shows, a Twighlight Singers/ Margot and the Nuclear So & Sos show), others dodging a bullet (Hole at the club 6/27/10).

But tonight I took a chance at bought a ticket to the Spiders/graveyard show. Long story short it made me realize what I've been missing all these years.

[kids younger than me] + [musical style older than me] = amazeballs

Glad you liked them I've seen them three times and they always deliver. How was the attendance? I thought the price tag was a bit steep. I had to work until 10pm so had no chance of getting to check them out this time around. Go see more shows man, you won't regret it.

« Reply #1841 on: February 13, 2016, 10:31:18 am »
Go see more shows (at smallish venues like 9:30 and below )man, you won't regret it.
FTFY
but the truth!
typically my only regret is my bank statement
slack

bob72

« Reply #1842 on: February 13, 2016, 12:24:29 pm »
How was the attendance?

It was slow to build, but eventually was a very respectable size. I guess being an early show definitely prevented people from attending.
PENIS

bob72

« Reply #1843 on: February 13, 2016, 12:29:46 pm »
Go see more shows (at smallish venues like 9:30 and below )man, you won't regret it.
but the truth!
This is where I pull out my elitist attitude toward music. I don't generally attend large venue events A) because of ticket prices and B) I'm not interested in sitting in the nosebleeds staring at ants on a stage a mile away. I want to be part of what's going on on stage. The only large venue I can recall ever attending was the first Lollapalooza. And I mean, at that time who wouldn't? Even by today's standards that would be a freaking amazing line-up.

That being said the current exceptions would be Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters and QOTSA just because I've never seen them before.
PENIS

Unsanity

« Reply #1844 on: February 13, 2016, 07:46:30 pm »
QOTSA is great in any size venue I've seen them in pretty much every type of place except a tiny bar or house show haha. Next time they come 'round pull the trigger on a ticket.