Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305612 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4005 on: September 15, 2021, 10:26:22 am »
Garden of the Gods and wandering around Old Colorado City was great.
Lived in Colorado for 1.5 years as a kid and loved Garden of the Gods. Did you do Cave of the Winds too?

We didnt cave/winds. Next time.
Full disclosure: it is probably less cool as a grown adult instead of as a 7-year old whose mind was blown about being in a real-life cave, “like in Zelda.”

One time we were hiking in a cave near Bend, Oregon and right when we go near the very end where the case closed up too narrow to hike, our three year old who hadn't pooped in like five days decided there was no more holding it.
Just to clarify, I did not poop in the cave, and if that's what you thought I meant by "like Zelda," we have a very different recollection of early Nintendo games.
LVMH

« Reply #4006 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:54 pm »
Had a great first night back at the club

Parking was a breeze in that area on a Monday, so that was nice
line took a little bit with all the vax/tick/id checking
No ones scanner seemed to work for anything, so they took my word for it that my Eventbrite ticket was legit and had to write down my FWB#
I caught most of Thao's set and they put on a spirted show and most of the crowd was digging it
Merch table was well stocked and picked up a nice T to bring home

Crowd was close to 100% masked, but people were drinking, so there was that
I do now seem to agree with yada that the straw mask might be the way to go

Last time I saw Julien was at Dc 9 with about 75 other people
was just her, a massive pedal board and a telecaster and only one EP to promote

this time around, full band a light show and 2 proper albums and a sold out 9:30
I really love Little Oblivians and she pretty much played the whole thing
She has this song style that is quiet and somber, then turns into a chaotic cathartic explosion towards the end
So the full band and light show really made it a powerful experience
Crowd was very into it and knew all the songs

The band did all wear matching mechanic work shirts with names on it.  I saw that Julian's said Carl
For two songs she also rocked the keyboards

masks for the whole show was tough and really didn't make me want to get drinks or socialize
but such is the new abnormal
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4007 on: September 16, 2021, 08:47:40 am »
Had a great first night back at the club

Parking was a breeze in that area on a Monday, so that was nice
line took a little bit with all the vax/tick/id checking
No ones scanner seemed to work for anything, so they took my word for it that my Eventbrite ticket was legit and had to write down my FWB#
I caught most of Thao's set and they put on a spirted show and most of the crowd was digging it
Merch table was well stocked and picked up a nice T to bring home

Crowd was close to 100% masked, but people were drinking, so there was that
I do now seem to agree with yada that the straw mask might be the way to go

Last time I saw Julien was at Dc 9 with about 75 other people
was just her, a massive pedal board and a telecaster and only one EP to promote

this time around, full band a light show and 2 proper albums and a sold out 9:30
I really love Little Oblivians and she pretty much played the whole thing
She has this song style that is quiet and somber, then turns into a chaotic cathartic explosion towards the end
So the full band and light show really made it a powerful experience
Crowd was very into it and knew all the songs

The band did all wear matching mechanic work shirts with names on it.  I saw that Julian's said Carl
For two songs she also rocked the keyboards

masks for the whole show was tough and really didn't make me want to get drinks or socialize
but such is the new abnormal

Side, didnt you go to JB at UHall? Wasn;t that after DC9?

« Reply #4008 on: September 16, 2021, 09:10:38 am »
sad that your memory of shows I've attended is better than my own
yes Did attend that, but I think that was just her too
I remember being really hard to see her due to the low stage and her not-tallness
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4009 on: September 16, 2021, 11:31:28 am »
sad that your memory of shows I've attended is better than my own
yes Did attend that, but I think that was just her too
I remember being really hard to see her due to the low stage and her not-tallness

I just remembered that I either sold you an extra ticket or bought you a ticket last minute at the box. She is tiny. I think I mostly watched from the side of the stage for that one.

Yada

« Reply #4010 on: September 17, 2021, 09:04:14 am »
After nearly a 10 year break (this seems to be a trend of the last few shows I've seen), checked out Dr. Dog last night at The Club.

Couldn't have asked for a better show/setlist/time.... They've come a looooooong way over the years and it's unfortunate this tour is it (but is it)? The band looks pretty damn healthy (maybe a few years off the road did them some good). Some new arrangements to old classics were great and best of all, the club wasn't even that packed which was surprising. I'd imagine the next two Friday night shows will be ass to masks crowded.

Wearing a mask the entire show wasn't great, but in the end this is the new abnormal! Everyone around me complied...

Did not look at the merch...

Parking was a bitch.

Dinner at San Lorenzo pre show was a 10/10.

« Reply #4011 on: September 17, 2021, 10:02:16 am »
will be ass to masks crowded.
the new butts to nuts...I like
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4012 on: September 17, 2021, 10:09:42 am »
Never go ass to mask.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #4013 on: September 17, 2021, 10:13:11 am »
After nearly a 10 year break (this seems to be a trend of the last few shows I've seen), checked out Dr. Dog last night at The Club.

Couldn't have asked for a better show/setlist/time.... They've come a looooooong way over the years and it's unfortunate this tour is it (but is it)? The band looks pretty damn healthy (maybe a few years off the road did them some good). Some new arrangements to old classics were great and best of all, the club wasn't even that packed which was surprising. I'd imagine the next two Friday night shows will be ass to masks crowded.

Wearing a mask the entire show wasn't great, but in the end this is the new abnormal! Everyone around me complied...

Parking was a bitch.

That was probably a smart move going on the Thursday show. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm hoping there are some no-shows due to COVID. Durand Jones was sold out Saturday night and there was still room to move in the back (more so than usual.)

I looked at the setlist. Three songs off of Easy Beat are about two too many for me, and I don't need to hear both "Nellie" and "Lonesome." (I'd rather hear neither of them.) But good that you liked it. I hope they don't pull a Wilco and repeat the same show tonight.

Honestly, I know I've been back and forth on mask wearing, but I had no issue with wearing it the whole show my first time. Thumbs up on it for now, and good luck to staph at enforcing it.

What was your first Dr. Dog show? Mine was seeing them open for Bobby Bare Jr at Iota. I didn't really appreciate them at the time. But my wife loved them, and so did Bobby. He stood in the crowd the whole set giddily bopping his head. Google tells me it was 2/22/06.

Random note: I saw tickets for last night's show on Stubhub yesterday for as low as $21 with fees included. But I'm not a back to back show warrior.

« Reply #4014 on: September 17, 2021, 10:13:16 am »
Never go ass to mask.
speak for your self, those dental dams are just a pain, the masks have straps ;)
slack

« Reply #4015 on: September 17, 2021, 10:17:45 am »
Honestly, I know I've been back and forth on mask wearing, but I had no issue with wearing it the whole show my first time. Thumbs up on it for now, and good luck to staph at enforcing it.
Staff really didn't have to enforce, at the JB show everyone was compliant (except whist chugging one's drink)
honestly I was a little surprised, but that may be the audience... wonder if the Clutch or White ford bronco crowd will be the same

I do think the mask with the staw hole has to be better and safer than lifting your mask off every few mins to take a swig

also the sold out JB show was definitely packed...but people were giving everyone a little more personal space that in the past, so that may have been part of the issue

Yikes if you want to go for the Gimp look
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:24:40 am by Side-dumbass ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Yada

« Reply #4016 on: September 17, 2021, 10:22:57 am »

Parking was a bitch.

That was probably a smart move going on the Thursday show. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm hoping there are some no-shows due to COVID. Durand Jones was sold out Saturday night and there was still room to move in the back (more so than usual.)

I looked at the setlist. Three songs off of Easy Beat are about two too many for me, and I don't need to hear both "Nellie" and "Lonesome." (I'd rather hear neither of them.) But good that you liked it. I hope they don't pull a Wilco and repeat the same show tonight.

What was your first Dr. Dog show? Mine was seeing them open for Bobby Bare Jr at Iota. I didn't really appreciate them at the time. But my wife loved them, and so did Bobby. He stood in the crowd the whole set giddily bopping his head. Google tells me it was 2/22/06.

Random note: I saw tickets for last night's show on Stubhub yesterday for as low as $21 with fees included. But I'm not a back to back show warrior.

I don't think you'll get any repeats to be honest... I only didn't like one song during the whole show. I really enjoyed the new arrangements on a few of the songs... Highly enjoyed Lonesome... I'm assuming you didn't drink at the show and I run hot, so being a little warm + constantly slugging over priced Stellas was a little annoying, but not a big deal.

I saw Dr. Dog open for MMJ at the 930 club in maybe 2004 or 05? That was the first time and then I saw them again at Ottobar in 2009. Then saw them way too much for like three years.

Space Freely

« Reply #4017 on: September 17, 2021, 10:23:07 am »
Staff really didn't have to enforce, at the JB show everyone was compliant (except whist chugging one's drink)
honestly I was a little surprised, but that may be the audience... wonder if the Clutch or White ford bronco crowd will be the same

I do think the mask with the staw hole has to be better and safer than lifting your mask off every few mins to take a swig

I didn't notice, but my wife said she observed staph going through crowd enforcing mask rules at Durand Jones. I didn't press her for details. I did observe them hastily removing someone, though i suppose that could have been for anything.

« Reply #4018 on: September 17, 2021, 10:28:45 am »
this sippymask looks like it might be a good option...as I'm not a fan of straws for beer
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4019 on: September 17, 2021, 10:30:30 am »

Parking was a bitch.

I don't think you'll get any repeats to be honest... I only didn't like one song during the whole show. I really enjoyed the new arrangements on a few of the songs... Highly enjoyed Lonesome... I'm assuming you didn't drink at the show and I run hot, so being a little warm + constantly slugging over priced Stellas was a little annoying, but not a big deal.

I saw Dr. Dog open for MMJ at the 930 club in maybe 2004 or 05? That was the first time and then I saw them again at Ottobar in 2009. Then saw them way too much for like three years.

I typically drink a couple of cups of water at 9:30 shows (thanks 9:30 for providing water, love you guys so much more than Birchmere), but decided just to stay 100% masked up the whole show. It was a little hot.

On a side note:My wife took our kid to the Kesha show (and to Shake Shack) at Anthem on 9/8, and received a phone message  that someone her phone was in close contact with on 9/8 had tested positive. No symptoms here from anyone, it's been nine days. I wonder if she signed up for something that sends her alerts like that.