Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305131 times)

Bagley

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4470 on: June 16, 2022, 02:16:36 pm »
Wolftrap last night

A hot show both literally and figuratively  (both Michelle and Stuart mentioned the humidity)

The best show I've seen there since Wilco in 2017.

Very lively crowd, for a change-most people around me were dancing in their seats!

Enjoyed Los Bitchos.

Although I prefer Japanese Breakfast's earlier, less polished material, I thought the band sounded great.  Michelle plays a mean gong and actually had a tasty guitar solo toward the end of her set.

Pleasantly surprised with the length of B & S's set.  Wasn't expecting what was basically a full set from them.  Stuart was quite active, climbing up some speakers and walking along the railing of the pit to get closer to the crowd.  Arab Strap was transcendent.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4471 on: June 21, 2022, 08:59:08 am »
Post Art Show Banter edition but there was music involved so...

We went to the Hirshhorn yesterday primarily for the Kusama infinity rooms, but also went through the Laurie Anderson exhibit...

anyways, the Infinity rooms are neat but waiting at least 45 minutes to spend a couple minutes in both rooms doesn't seem like it was worthy of all the hype from a couple years ago.. i guess it the Gram crowd driving all the fuss..

However, the Laurie Anderson exhibit is well worth the visit it touches on all over her multimedia oriented career in the arts.  Wish we had gone through it prior to waiting in line for the Kusama as it was little overwhelming to take everything in, especially the room with all the thoughts painted on the floor and walls.  But, if your a fan of any of her work go check it...
T.Rex

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4472 on: July 04, 2022, 11:59:40 pm »
Billy Strings Sunday in Baltimore. Quick recap-  he is really good. I will see him again in Asheville and at The Anthem.

I still prefer Guided By Voices and other rock bands.

Yada

« Reply #4473 on: July 05, 2022, 09:35:03 am »
#StringsHead

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4474 on: July 05, 2022, 09:45:50 am »
#StrungOut
LVMH

« Reply #4475 on: July 13, 2022, 12:51:43 pm »
7 Second/Circle Jerks - Black cat 7/12

Both bands were in somewhat heavy rotation at the half pipe I used to hang out as a teen. I genuinely liked 7 Seconds, but they were a little more of a periphery band, I always felt they owed a lot of debt to Minor Threat in the sound and message, but that unity crap sometimes just got on my nerves and was contrary to the Nihilist-teen-hatch image I was attempting to go for (but other times, I really dug that part of the scene, so contradictions a plenty)

Now the jerks, they were everywhere.  Thrasher, bones brigade vids, Repo man cameo and soundtrack, The Decline of Western Civilization and countless punk compilations. 
I remember hearing Question Authority on the NYU radio station program call Crucial Chaos (just saw it's still going!)…100 miles away in suburban long island and can honestly say it changed me.  I was into the Clash and the Pistols by that point, but that music didn't have the same urgency and connection of the American hardcore scene.  That show I would tape and study those recording like an archeologist at a dig site.  Sadly I saw very few live shows of this genre in that era and they were all happening just a train ride away in NYC :(  Will never forgive my teen self for that transgression.

The crowd…well as you can imagine, it was a lot of 50+ year old white dudes, but there was a fair amount of female representation as well and I saw quite a few teens mucking it up in the mosh pit.  First thing was the t-shirts worn by the audience were a vintage T-shirt lovers wet dream. Bands from that era: bad brains, Dead Kennedys, DRI, Misfits, Cro-Mags, Black Flag, Anthrax and even a few baseball caps with the turned up rim with Suicidal on them.  I  got there shortly before 7 Seconds started.  Was a fun set and I knew a few of the tunes and the crowd just ate it up and sang along just about to everyone, quite a little furious mosh pit going…with BC staff policing, but mostly so people didn't get hurt or attempt to stage dive.  The closed with their seminal cover of 99 red balloons

When keith and co took the stage the crowd was ready for it.  Greg and Zander were there, but Lucky was not on the kit, instead they had  with Queens of the Stone Age drummer Joey Castillo, who was fantastic.  It's crazy this show was supposed to happen over 2 years ago and multiple reschedules due to covid.  This was originally supposed to be the 40th anniversary of the Group Sex album (clocking in at 15 mins total!) but because all the delays, it was actually now the 40th anny of Wild In The Streets (when  they got signed to EMI) Keith did explain that they were going to play 30+ songs, but since they were now senior citizens, they were going to 4-5 song 'blocks' and then in between they would catch their breath and be a lot of banter. He also stated many times he was NOT going to play wonderful (which is good as that was when the shitty recordings started) but we did end up getting a few from that album and VI   Kinda wish Keith had a few more good stories in his pocket, because most of the banter was "we were going to cut this song from this block, but X said we gotta keep it" and that kinda got old.  He also said early on, we are not playing any of that metal cross over shit we did, that stuff is crap an I'm embarrassed (that goodness)I'm sure he had a boatloads of stories he could have shared rather than that. 

So many 'hits' and was so glad to catch them do a decent job belting out songs that were made to be played by and for teens.  Was fun to watch some of these clearly very old dudes having a blast in the pit along with kids who very much could have been the grandchildren of the original fans.  Have always wanted to catch them live, so was nice to finally hear Question Authority, Wild in the Streets, When Shit hits the Fan (although I really wanted to hear the acoustic version from Repo Man), Coup d'Etat, I Wanna Destroy You, Wasted, I don't care and Live Fast Die Young (little ironic at this point)
Dropped some cash at the merch table and I left a tip and the guy gave me a cool gig poster!
Would surely catch the jerks again
slack

Starsky

« Reply #4476 on: July 13, 2022, 12:56:24 pm »
Nice dude! That sounds like a good time!

« Reply #4477 on: July 13, 2022, 05:48:11 pm »
apparently Ian was at the show, as there is a pic of him with the band backstage
slack

« Reply #4478 on: July 14, 2022, 05:20:56 pm »
Kevin can confirm
7 Second Black cat 7/12
 I always felt they owed a lot of debt to Minor Threat in the sound and message

I’ve been friends with this cat since I was 20 and he was 19.
We live on opposite sides of the country and we have both been on many amazing adventures but when all is said and done, I know I can count on him for truth, wisdom and inspiration and I know many in this world know what I’m saying to be true.
I am happy and honored to call him a dear friend.

-kev's facebook feed
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4479 on: July 23, 2022, 09:08:23 am »
Jackson Browne at Pier 6 now MECU pavilion.  Good show, he sounded great, the fops in the crowd were happy with setlist and performance, as was I.

Yada

« Reply #4480 on: July 25, 2022, 10:13:14 pm »
Kidz Bop Kids

Hot, more fun than expected,  shortest beer lines than any concert I've ever attended, longest fresh lemonade lines than any concert I've ever attended, Jiffy Lube isn't terrible when ticket sales are approximately at 20% capacity.

Highlights: applebees on a date night song, old town road, shut up and dance with me, and Peaches

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4481 on: July 25, 2022, 11:19:30 pm »
I wonder how much Space paid for his last minute tickets to this.

Kidz Bop Kids

Hot, more fun than expected,  shortest beer lines than any concert I've ever attended, longest fresh lemonade lines than any concert I've ever attended, Jiffy Lube isn't terrible when ticket sales are approximately at 20% capacity.

Highlights: applebees on a date night song, old town road, shut up and dance with me, and Peaches

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4482 on: July 30, 2022, 10:25:53 pm »
Why isn't every band just Phish?

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4483 on: July 30, 2022, 11:14:21 pm »
Adrian Belew at The Grey Eagle in Asheville.  Cool little venue- Belew is truly a guitar hero and virtuoso, but show wasn't as good as last 2 times I saw him.  Just too much emphasis on the new unreleased album, and an acoustic set...why?  When he unleashes the power trio it is impressive.  Give me the Belew era King Crimson songs all day.  No word on Belew/Harrison Remain in Light tour but he had some nice stories about Frank Zappa and David Bowie.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 11:17:29 pm by Cock Van Der Palm »

Yada

« Reply #4484 on: July 31, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »
Why isn't every band just Phish?

Can confirm.

EpiQ