Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305012 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4485 on: July 31, 2022, 03:01:05 pm »
Why isn't every band just Phish?

because there aren't enough drugs to make everyone think they're good.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4486 on: July 31, 2022, 06:06:30 pm »
Why isn't every band just Phish?

because there aren't enough drugs to make everyone think they're good.

Classic sweetcell

Starsky

« Reply #4487 on: July 31, 2022, 09:43:30 pm »
Tweezer! 54 minutes long!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4488 on: August 01, 2022, 09:48:56 am »
I hadn't been back to Merriweather since forever (Dear Jerry 2015?), and I hadn't seen Phish since 1994. I grew up on the lawn at Merriweather and I know I'm late to the game on this one, but the improvements are stunning. Such a good experience. And I'm kicking myself for waiting 26 (!) years to see Phish again. Excellent show, though I knew 0% of the songs...I think the 94 show was mostly from Junta!

Anyways, I'll be back to the venue and back to seeing Phish!

Starsky

« Reply #4489 on: August 01, 2022, 10:31:41 am »
I don’t think I have been back since this amazing night where I was in the pit.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2016/merriweather-post-pavilion-columbia-md-33fe54d1.html

Just have to shake my head at the embarrassment of riches in the set list

I had tickets to a show in 2020 but it got postponed. I hope to be back for the New Order/ Pet Shop Boys

It takes something really special to get me out there cause it’s a haul from Arlington

Space Freely

« Reply #4490 on: August 01, 2022, 10:58:24 am »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2016/merriweather-post-pavilion-columbia-md-33fe54d1.html

I had tickets to a show in 2020 but it got postponed. I hope to be back for the New Order/ Pet Shop Boys

It takes something really special to get me out there cause it’s a haul from Arlington

I wish I had remembered the New Order?PSB show when I was booking a vacation I'm taking in September. Oh well.

Space Freely

« Reply #4491 on: August 01, 2022, 10:58:34 am »
Nada Surf. Arrowbrook Park, Herndon, 7/30. Nice preshow writeup here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/2022/07/26/nada-surf-free-concert-va/

So how did Nada Surf get booked to play a free show at soccer field in Herndon? Apparently, Jack (Can't recall his last name or job title for Fairfax County), a 71 year old guy in khakis, is a big Nada Surf fan. At their show at U Street Music Hall in 2014, he approached Matthew Caws at the merch table and asked him "Would you ever consider playing a show at a park in Fairfax County?" Matthew referred him to their manager. He approached Matthew with the same question at the next four DC Nada Surf shows. "To his credit, Matthew never said "No."" And this year, the stars finally alligned.

I was happy to see that Daniel shed his ever-present leather jacket in the 85 degree heat, even if he still puffed on his unlit cigarette/joint. Unlike those of us who try not to go too musch higher than the weight of our youth, Matthew is one of those people who look like they will wither away as they age. And Ira looks like he will never age. Nothing too unpredictable about the set. Try did a fine cover of "Where is My Mind?" They omitted "Blankest Year" so as not to offend the Karens and many little Karens and Carls in the crowd. Sound was not bad, and the crowd was pretty respectful.

I'm pretty sure that this show set the record for most audience members in obvious need of knee replacement surgery for any indie rock show I've ever been to.

Thank you to Jack and Nada Surf for giving the FREEley's a great night of music!

Starsky

« Reply #4492 on: August 01, 2022, 12:08:49 pm »
Geez didn’t you just get back from vacation?

Well…congratulations I guess…

I am weird… I haven’t really enjoyed a vacation since I was 18.

Many work trips I took when I was in my 20s and 30s were like vacations though

Starsky

« Reply #4493 on: August 01, 2022, 12:11:14 pm »
This is a good review. Thanks

Where is the lovely Linda’s review sidetrend?!? Or where you on vacation

Yada

« Reply #4494 on: August 01, 2022, 12:20:25 pm »

I wish I had remembered the New Order?PSB show when I was booking a vacation I'm taking in September. Oh well.

Paging Julian's assistant.

Space Freely

« Reply #4495 on: August 01, 2022, 12:20:33 pm »
Geez didn’t you just get back from vacation?

Well…congratulations I guess…

I am weird… I haven’t really enjoyed a vacation since I was 18.

Many work trips I took when I was in my 20s and 30s were like vacations though

Yes, just got back from vacation. I've got Facebook friends who seem to always be on vacation. Sor for once, i'm being them.

This is an additional once in a lifetime trip just with my brother. My wife and I backpacked  to the bottom of the Grand Canyon 20 years ago this summer. I wanted to go back at some point, she didn't, and my brother had never been. So I convinced him to do a brothers hiking trip that wil also include hikes around Sedona and up in Zion.

Mt wife and I did that trip around July 4 2002. It was hot AF at the bottom of the Canyon. When we got to the bottom, we literally had to lay in the stream the rest of the day to cool off.  Hopefully our late September trip won't be so bad (and we're not going all the way to the bottom.)

Anyway, hope you make it to that show. I seem to recall you're a big fan of both bands.

« Reply #4496 on: August 01, 2022, 05:11:39 pm »
This is a good review. Thanks

Where is the lovely Linda’s review sidetrend?!? Or where you on vacation
both.  But it sold out fairly quickly, the NPR effect?
slack

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #4497 on: August 01, 2022, 09:12:14 pm »
Nada Surf. Arrowbrook Park, Herndon, 7/30. Nice preshow writeup here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/2022/07/26/nada-surf-free-concert-va/

So how did Nada Surf get booked to play a free show at soccer field in Herndon? Apparently, Jack (Can't recall his last name or job title for Fairfax County), a 71 year old guy in khakis, is a big Nada Surf fan. At their show at U Street Music Hall in 2014, he approached Matthew Caws at the merch table and asked him "Would you ever consider playing a show at a park in Fairfax County?" Matthew referred him to their manager. He approached Matthew with the same question at the next four DC Nada Surf shows. "To his credit, Matthew never said "No."" And this year, the stars finally alligned.

I was happy to see that Daniel shed his ever-present leather jacket in the 85 degree heat, even if he still puffed on his unlit cigarette/joint. Unlike those of us who try not to go too musch higher than the weight of our youth, Matthew is one of those people who look like they will wither away as they age. And Ira looks like he will never age. Nothing too unpredictable about the set. Try did a fine cover of "Where is My Mind?" They omitted "Blankest Year" so as not to offend the Karens and many little Karens and Carls in the crowd. Sound was not bad, and the crowd was pretty respectful.

I'm pretty sure that this show set the record for most audience members in obvious need of knee replacement surgery for any indie rock show I've ever been to.

Thank you to Jack and Nada Surf for giving the FREEley's a great night of music!

Awesome recap. Love Nada Surf. What a great group of guys.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4498 on: August 02, 2022, 11:41:16 pm »
Turned up at Rage tonite. A The Director cameo was made. Hell of a night for a band I don’t really care about but put on one hell of a show that I turned up deciding to attend minutes before RTJ went on. Wild night.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4499 on: August 03, 2022, 09:37:51 am »
Turned up at Rage tonite. A The Director cameo was made. Hell of a night for a band I don’t really care about but put on one hell of a show that I turned up deciding to attend minutes before RTJ went on. Wild night.

Litty