Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305247 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5010 on: July 10, 2023, 07:08:29 pm »
I did not make it but the Baltimore show did not have Chelsea and Pump It Up...I would've been disappointed...I guess he prefers to play the deep cuts than his "hits".

Elvis at the Lyric last night.  I knew going in what to expect, especially since he played Syracuse the night before.  The voice just isn't there anymore, but sometimes he still sounds great, mostly on the harder stuff. He opened the show in a beanie sitting on a chair, which he used frequently. Different arrangements on the stuff you know; a lot of stuff I didn't know.  Granted I haven't kept up with his more current stuff. Horns were a nice addition. Good to see Steve Naive and Pete Thomas

Nick Lowe with Los Straitjackets was a lot of fun. And 'When I Write the Book' is a hundred times better than 'Everyday I Write the Book'

Crowd was geriatric, again as expected

The Lyric is cool. Literally. The AC was crankin'
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5011 on: July 10, 2023, 07:20:37 pm »
Elvis at the Lyric last night.

per setlist.fm, he's essentially fronting a cover band ;D
<sig>

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5012 on: July 10, 2023, 09:45:47 pm »
I was there   Definitely not a greatest hits show. Lots of deep deep cuts.  Nick Lowe was fun with Los Straighjackets.  Would like to see him in a smaller venue as headliner.

« Reply #5013 on: July 11, 2023, 06:43:13 am »
Pump It Up.
Hot take… least favorite song off his greatest album
Would be happy to never hear it again
slack

Hutch

« Reply #5014 on: July 23, 2023, 08:37:57 pm »
Anybody catch Nirvana at the State Theatre? How was it?

Unfortunately I had to miss it….

Next time..

tobyd

« Reply #5015 on: July 24, 2023, 10:29:32 am »
Been a while for me here but needed somewhere to vent that I saw Dinosaur Jr. on Friday opening for Clutch and with Red Fang at The Anthem.  They were criminally under-amplified, pretty much not in the PA at all for the first 20 minutes or so.  Red Fang was significantly louder and Clutch had the A treatment mix.  All three bands played great but why Dino Jr got kneecapped by the soundboard I can't understand.  Otherwise, good times, albeit an expensive night.

Hutch

« Reply #5016 on: July 24, 2023, 10:45:38 am »
You know this is an interesting observation. Another usher who was behind soundboard told me he felt the sound got mangled badly.

All I can tell you is Dino had their own sound guy (who looks a lot like Mascis) and did an extensive sound check which sounded good.

Yada

« Reply #5017 on: July 24, 2023, 10:55:08 am »
Been a while for me here but needed somewhere to vent that I saw Dinosaur Jr. on Friday opening for Clutch and with Red Fang at The Anthem.  They were criminally under-amplified, pretty much not in the PA at all for the first 20 minutes or so.  Red Fang was significantly louder and Clutch had the A treatment mix.  All three bands played great but why Dino Jr got kneecapped by the soundboard I can't understand.  Otherwise, good times, albeit an expensive night.

The question is, why would Dino Jr. open for Clutch...

Hutch

« Reply #5018 on: July 24, 2023, 11:17:03 am »
Clutch fans at this show overwhelmingly outnumbered Dino fans… maybe 8 to 1.

Dino 🦕 played an hour. Even did their cover of Just like Heaven

Clutch played about 90 and just sounded amazing. Tore the roof off…Played some great stuff including their first 7 inch.

rich_WDC

« Reply #5019 on: July 24, 2023, 11:25:36 am »
The question is, why would Dino Jr. open for Clutch...

The odd matching melted away a few times when Dino Jr's shredding pushed more of a link to Clutch's soundscape.
Still -- a curious match for the lineup.  Perhaps they share an agent or something.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5020 on: July 24, 2023, 11:45:23 am »
You know this is an interesting observation. Another usher who was behind soundboard told me he felt the sound got mangled badly.
Hutch, are you suggesting the sound quality at an IMP venue was anything less than "so perfect no other venue is worth attending"? I just want to make sure I have my bearings straight.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #5021 on: July 24, 2023, 01:07:37 pm »

Well yea... typically the headliner brings more boys to the yard.

« Reply #5022 on: July 24, 2023, 01:45:02 pm »

Well yea... typically the headliner brings more boys to the yard.
I could apprentice thee, but I'd have to levy a fee.
LVMH

Hutch

« Reply #5023 on: July 24, 2023, 03:15:26 pm »
Hutch, are you suggesting the sound quality at an IMP venue was anything less than "so perfect no other venue is worth attending"? I just want to make sure I have my bearings straight.

Of course not! How dare to even imply such a thing. :) The fact Clutch sounded insanely good tells you the problem was not the venue. Remember, as I said, I really think Dino does their own sound.

« Reply #5024 on: July 24, 2023, 03:24:21 pm »
Phew. My world was about to be thrown into a tailspin. Thanks for clearing that up.
LVMH