Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305831 times)

nkotb

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5100 on: September 11, 2023, 11:49:08 am »
It's true, even my wife knows

including nkotb's crush Mary Timony on bass

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5101 on: September 11, 2023, 11:57:28 am »
I assumed Velocity Girl was a one off reunion. Did they say there would be more?

Yup besides a NYC show at the end of the month, there is another DC show to be announced this week. 
T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #5102 on: September 11, 2023, 12:06:18 pm »
Nice

Bagley

« Reply #5103 on: September 11, 2023, 04:30:41 pm »
Night 2 BC 30th

Never saw Ted/RX, Bad Moves or Hammered Hulls and was quite impressed with all.

Kudos to Black Cat staph for getting the bands on and off so seamlessly. 

Unfortunately, Velocity Girl hit the stage about 11:15 and I just didn't have the stamina to get me thru their entire set.

As to Mary Timony,  I had the pleasure of witnessing the musical chops of two tremendously talented women bass players last week- her and Britta Phillips

bearman🐻

« Reply #5104 on: September 11, 2023, 04:55:37 pm »
With a few drinks 🍺 on me and one of my favorite bands I can’t be very objective probably but I thought they were tight and did their thing. It’s never showy. Sean and Dean threw in some quips about playing the old 930 which was cool. The sound when they started was perfect but then it felt like everyone started trying to outraise the others volume and it wasn’t so perfect anymore. Not sure why even experienced bands fall for that…. This time and maybe cause of my position I had a lot of fun listening to the bass and watching Dean and Britta’s interplay.

Set list was just what I wanted. NOT the same old same old! I think it’s been more than 20 years since they played three songs from Days of our nights at one show(maybe cause of recent vinyl reissue?) !!!  I mean 4000 days and Dear Diary according to set list hadn’t been played since 2005 and 2003. Definitely rare any way you slice it! Then Egg nog (played only ten times), Slash and Great Jones Street were all super deep cuts! On top of that Marquee (11times) and you have a real unusual set list!

I super enjoyed show even if it was marred by the shirt purchase debacle! Nice seeing boardies!!

I was out of town and missed the Atlantis show. Instead I got to see 2 nights of Luna at the Bowery Ballroom, and got 2 almost entirely-unique sets both nights. The only repeat was 23 Minutes in Brussels, which I can live with. Friday night's show was the better of the two actually. Got to meet Dean's parents and his dad is one cool cat. He even has better hair than Dean. I also got to attend the Beastie Boys Square unveiling on Saturday at the Paul's Boutique intersection. That was a blast.

Bagley

« Reply #5105 on: September 11, 2023, 05:21:57 pm »
Ahhh… that explains it.  Your presence was conspicuously absent at the Atlantis festivities last week.

Sounds like you made up for it though, and then some …

bearman🐻

« Reply #5106 on: September 11, 2023, 06:02:57 pm »
Ahhh… that explains it.  Your presence was conspicuously absent at the Atlantis festivities last week.

Sounds like you made up for it though, and then some …

Bowery shows are the best. The band always hangs out afterwards. I was traveling for work so I was bummed to miss Atlantis. But that being said, you all got to hear "Dear Diary" and "Moon Palace". But I did get to see them do the Galaxie 500 song "Strange", as well as covers of "Femme Fatale", "Ride Into the Sun", "That's What You Always Say", "Season of the Witch", "Indian Summer" and "Marquee Moon".

More_Coffee

« Reply #5107 on: September 15, 2023, 12:00:48 pm »
When did Ben Gibbard learn to play the drums???

What an amazing show last night at Merriweather

Space Freely

« Reply #5108 on: September 16, 2023, 01:04:38 pm »
I think Britt Daniel, Shane McGowan, Hamilton Leithauser, and Vansmack could all be related.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5109 on: September 18, 2023, 09:55:18 am »
Billy Idol at The Atlantis.  Exactly the show you would hope for and expect from Billy Idol at this stage of his career.  Played the hits with a few songs from the past 5 years thrown in.  Billy looks and sounded great although I wish anyone over 60 years old would keep their shirt on or buttoned up a little, no matter how good a shape you are in (also talking to you Roger Daltrey).  The band included 2 backup singers which I think added a lot to the show...he stated they were not at The Anthem show.  Steve Stevens looks like your Great Uncle Herschel wearing a Robert Smith wig, but who just happens to be a guitar god.  Rest of band was very tight and talented. Anyway great show, glad I was able to score tickets.  Seeing Chrissy Hynde and Billy Idol in small club the past few weeks was pretty special.

« Reply #5110 on: September 18, 2023, 10:42:19 am »
Seeing Chrissy Hynde and Billy Idol in small club
I now hate you twice as much ;)
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5111 on: September 21, 2023, 12:40:38 pm »
Great show last night by Old 97s at the Club last night. I can't think of a better frontman who plays clubs that small. It was interesting to learn that their mohawked guitar tech/roadie, who I've seen at a number of their shows, is also the drummer for Polyphonic Spree.

Tshirts were $40. Even tshirts for the unknown opener were $40. I'm glad I got an Old 97's tshirt for $25, the last time they were in town, at the Hamilton.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #5112 on: September 21, 2023, 02:17:52 pm »
Tshirts were $40. Even tshirts for the unknown opener were $40. I'm glad I got an Old 97's tshirt for $25, the last time they were in town, at the Hamilton.

Peter Gabriel shirts were $50  :o

Yada

« Reply #5113 on: September 21, 2023, 02:19:49 pm »

Peter Gabriel shirts were $50  :o

How snoozy was last night?

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5114 on: September 21, 2023, 02:37:32 pm »
It was actually a really good show. The new stuff is really good and catchy stuff. The only snoozy part for me was when PG would introduce the songs with a back story.   I also took a gummy so there was a lot of sensory overload from the stage show.