Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1305096 times)

Yada

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5130 on: September 25, 2023, 11:29:06 am »
Damn, I wish you hadn’t told me to look

Breathless is one of my absolute favorites and don’t recall hearing it live

Polar opposite of the set list we got last year although was just two of them

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxnh7UFONS6/?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5131 on: September 25, 2023, 01:26:06 pm »
Sunday I went to the Go-Go/Punk event at MLK Library which turned out to be a solid afternoon into early event.  Having moved the event indoors due to the weather, things got started running late due to the library not even opening until 1pm and Fat Tony and Trouble Funk didn't even start to play until 6:45.

Nicely diverse attendance for the event with people enjoying the line-up of groups, even had the obligatory members of Fugazi in attendence. 

First up was Breezy Supreme who while not a huge fan of Pop Punk, I really appreciate his bravado.  Plus, a couple of his songs are super catchy.  Fun set including a blistering Bad Brains cover.

Next Bacchae who name was I familiar with as they were due to warmup for Big Joanie at one point.  Enjoyed their set as they are sort of on the borderline of Riot Grrrl and New Wave.  Listened to their albums this morning and really solid stuff.

If ever a band gained a whole bunch of new fans it was Black Alley who had the audience dancing and totally into them.  They started out with an absolutely stunning version of "When Doves Cry" probably the heaviest version ever.  They proceeded with their self described "Hood Rock" a mixture of funk/rock/go-go/hip-hop, listening to more of their stuff online today they are big into doing mashups.  Fantastic vocalist, hard hitting drummer and a one very heavy sounding bass player who just a huge smile on the entire set.  Would see again if given the chance.

Many were there for Scream and it was my first time hearing them and I really enjoyed it.  For them being a hardcore band, I heard lots of  60s garage rock in their sound.  It was the first gig with their new drummer with the passing of Ken Stax, whose picture they placed on his snare drum for the set.  Skeeter mentioned he had know Ken since the 7th grade.  They had possibly a new guitarist who was English, but I didn't catch his name.  Clearly a band whose catalog I need to dive into.. and yes a Mosh Pit did break out in the Library during their set.

Only got to catch part of the Fat Tony and Trouble Funk set as it was 6:40 and the event was suppose to end around 5pm and I was just worn out by then.

T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5132 on: September 25, 2023, 01:32:39 pm »
Sunday I went to the Go-Go/Punk event at MLK Library which turned out to be a solid afternoon into early event.  Having moved the event indoors due to the weather, things got started running late due to the library not even opening until 1pm and Fat Tony and Trouble Funk didn't even start to play until 6:45.

Nicely diverse attendance for the event with people enjoying the line-up of groups, even had the obligatory members of Fugazi in attendence. 

First up was Breezy Supreme who while not a huge fan of Pop Punk, I really appreciate his bravado.  Plus, a couple of his songs are super catchy.  Fun set including a blistering Bad Brains cover.

Next Bacchae who name was I familiar with as they were due to warmup for Big Joanie at one point.  Enjoyed their set as they are sort of on the borderline of Riot Grrrl and New Wave.  Listened to their albums this morning and really solid stuff.

If ever a band gained a whole bunch of new fans it was Black Alley who had the audience dancing and totally into them.  They started out with an absolutely stunning version of "When Doves Cry" probably the heaviest version ever.  They proceeded with their self described "Hood Rock" a mixture of funk/rock/go-go/hip-hop, listening to more of their stuff online today they are big into doing mashups.  Fantastic vocalist, hard hitting drummer and a one very heavy sounding bass player who just a huge smile on the entire set.  Would see again if given the chance.

Many were there for Scream and it was my first time hearing them and I really enjoyed it.  For them being a hardcore band, I heard lots of  60s garage rock in their sound.  It was the first gig with their new drummer with the passing of Ken Stax, whose picture they placed on his snare drum for the set.  Skeeter mentioned he had know Ken since the 7th grade.  They had possibly a new guitarist who was English, but I didn't catch his name.  Clearly a band whose catalog I need to dive into.. and yes a Mosh Pit did break out in the Library during their set.

Only got to catch part of the Fat Tony and Trouble Funk set as it was 6:40 and the event was suppose to end around 5pm and I was just worn out by then.
Ok that’s all good and well but was there any merchandise and/or rabbits for sale and if so what % did the Library take, preferably with a hard/soft breakdown on the merch and a live/pre-processed breakdown on the rabbits?

Thanks in advance.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5133 on: September 25, 2023, 01:33:08 pm »
also props to the guy old school flyering an upcoming doom metal show, but a loss in style points for having a QR code on the flyer.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5134 on: September 25, 2023, 01:39:02 pm »
Sadly no rabbits were seen for sale... and seeing as that most of the merch being sold was by the library itself, i would say the library were taking 100% of the sales. 

T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #5135 on: September 25, 2023, 02:14:23 pm »
This will not stand!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5136 on: September 25, 2023, 02:18:10 pm »
This will not stand!
I’ve been boycotting library concerts in unity with musicians for years!
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5137 on: September 25, 2023, 02:35:47 pm »
I of course bought my merch outside the library from the bands :)

and old man alert, everyone wants venmo, etc these days... what is this strange thing called cash...
T.Rex

« Reply #5138 on: September 25, 2023, 03:08:47 pm »
This will not stand!
I’ve been boycotting library concerts in unity with musicians for years!
has always been my stance, too
 but these new MLK shows have made me want to change my 5 decades stance of not seeing rock shows at libraries
slack

notme

« Reply #5139 on: September 25, 2023, 07:47:55 pm »
I only saw the end of the black alley set. I was working and had a small window to leave. Originally the show was supposed to be from 1 to 5p with 5 or 6 bands. I figured 2 stages bc the library closes at 5p and they mean it. I guess at some point they decided to let it go late or maybe they knew in advance. How are 5 or 6 bands going to play in 4 hours. It takes a half hour just to change over each band. At first this show was supposed to be in late august. Next Saturday they have 5 + go go bands playing all night.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5140 on: September 25, 2023, 08:44:23 pm »
It’s possible it was originally going to be two stages out of doors for this one.  I think it would have started more promptly had it been outside as it was it didn’t really get started until almost two.  And some bands managed to cut over faster than others. 

Also, next week is a block party so likely two stages for that one.

Overall, it was a great event, just delayed and then having some bands checking monitors longer than others
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 08:47:00 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

nkotb

« Reply #5141 on: September 26, 2023, 08:31:55 am »
OSEES best live band on the planet.

Hutch

« Reply #5142 on: September 26, 2023, 08:42:18 am »
Bold

nkotb

« Reply #5143 on: September 26, 2023, 08:43:43 am »
I will revise accordingly if the jesus lizard tour again

« Reply #5144 on: September 26, 2023, 09:41:41 am »
OSEES best live band on the planet.
why do they continually avoid the DMV

ok in 12 years there were have played 4 local shows, but nothing the last 5 years
Richmond in 2017 and 2012
black cat...in 2009
sonar 2011

but seriously, how can a band that has been touring and doing US/europe tours skip the dc area so much
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 09:48:45 am by hanky/lanky-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack