Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1304933 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5235 on: December 20, 2023, 03:02:37 pm »
A friend ended up driving and Spot Hero turned out be very handy in finding a close by spot in a hotel parking lot.

Had a fun time at the show. As a causal fan most exposed to her early singles the first hour of the show was amazing. The best segment was Vogue paired with Ballroom dancing.  Santa was the celebrity judge for this bit.

Got a much rawer version of "Burning Up" likely closer to how she would have done it prior to recording it for the debut.
Great use of video through the show.  While she wasn't dancing like in past tours, she had an amazing company of dancers.
Lots of pre-recorded elements, but her voice was great.

Glad I went as it really was a celebration of Madonna's 40 year career and the production was tight.  Besides the main stage they had four smaller stages and runways on the main floor.  Probably the one time I see her in concert, but it worth all the effort.
T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #5236 on: December 20, 2023, 04:06:40 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it!

bearman🐻

« Reply #5237 on: January 18, 2024, 04:04:00 pm »
Really enjoyed the Charlatans/Ride gig last night. The Charlatans had more energy than they've had in a while, and thought that they made a surprisingly strong "opener" that was actually a little tough to follow. Ride sounded great. Saw them in September in Chicago, and though I loved hearing the "Nowhere" songs live, the Chicago show had a better vibe. I guess also because it was more intimate. But both bands were great.

Space Freely

« Reply #5238 on: January 18, 2024, 04:46:47 pm »
Really enjoyed the Charlatans/Ride gig last night. The Charlatans had more energy than they've had in a while, and thought that they made a surprisingly strong "opener" that was actually a little tough to follow. Ride sounded great. Saw them in September in Chicago, and though I loved hearing the "Nowhere" songs live, the Chicago show had a better vibe. I guess also because it was more intimate. But both bands were great.

Question for bearman or anyone...

Admittedly, my britpop knowledge is pretty weak. But I feel like the Charlatans are more of a household name than Ride. What makes them the opener and Ride the headliner?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5239 on: January 18, 2024, 05:14:22 pm »
It was a co-headlining tour, they swap slots on different nights
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #5240 on: January 18, 2024, 05:46:03 pm »

Admittedly, my britpop knowledge is pretty weak. But I feel like the Charlatans are more of a household name than Ride. What makes them the opener and Ride the headliner?

Great question. And it actually goes back to 1992 when they did a tour in England where they flipped each night. They brought it Stateside last winter playing the Midwest and some East Coast dates, and decided to add more dates this year. Also of note...the House of Love and Catherine Wheel did a tour like that in 1992 as well.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5241 on: January 18, 2024, 11:55:41 pm »
Sorry, I feel like such a great question deserved a more exciting answer.  Sure you answered the question, but it had no pizzazz, no je ne sais quoi. 

Great question. And it actually goes back to 1992 when they did a tour in England where they flipped each night. They brought it Stateside last winter playing the Midwest and some East Coast dates, and decided to add more dates this year. Also of note...the House of Love and Catherine Wheel did a tour like that in 1992 as well.

Space Freely

« Reply #5242 on: January 19, 2024, 09:36:08 am »
Sorry, I feel like such a great question deserved a more exciting answer.  Sure you answered the question, but it had no pizzazz, no je ne sais quoi. 

Consider the intended audience, that is, the person who asked the question. More than enough pizzazz. Thank you Bearman for the education.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5243 on: February 05, 2024, 10:54:27 am »
U2 at the Sphere.  Was at the Feb 2nd show (Friday) and agree with others that said it was spectacular.  The feel of the show for me was that U2 was the supporting act (or at most-equal partners) for the visuals of the venue.  It was really 2 shows combined, each supporting what the other was providing.  The visuals were really breathtaking to take in.  Having seen U2 many times, to me they seemed to dial it back a notch as far as their stage presence, almost as if they know that they are not getting the full attention of the crowd as most are looking at the visuals.  But maybe that was just my perspective.

We were on the floor (GA's) which I thought was great.  We just stayed toward the side back where there was plenty of room and no usual GA nonsense going on that you find up close.  There was plenty of room on the floor to get fairly close to the stage if you wanted, and plenty of room where we ended up standing towards the back-side (five o'clock looking at the stage).  For the Sphere, with the GA's, you are close enough to the band for those that like proximity to the action.  As far as visuals for the GA's, I didn't have any sense of not getting the full visual sense of what was offered.  Sure you had to look up at times but the visuals were amazing from any perspective and to be honest everyone from any seat would have to look up to get the full picture.  I feel if I was seated, especially up high, the band would've seemed a million miles away, and I would've lost that close proximity perspective of the show.  GA's were a great mix of seeing a live band up close, and being able to see the full spectacle of the Sphere.  Sound was great as would be expected.  Anyway if you get a chance to experience it whether it's U2 or another band, I highly recommend it.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5244 on: February 05, 2024, 10:56:05 am »
U2 at the Sphere.  Was at the Feb 2nd show (Friday) and agree with others that said it was spectacular.  The feel of the show for me was that U2 was the supporting act (or at most-equal partners) for the visuals of the venue.  It was really 2 shows combined, each supporting what the other was providing.  The visuals were really breathtaking to take in.  Having seen U2 many times, to me they seemed to dial it back a notch as far as their stage presence, almost as if they know that they are not getting the full attention of the crowd as most are looking at the visuals.  But maybe that was just my perspective.

We were on the floor (GA's) which I thought was great.  We just stayed toward the side back where there was plenty of room and no usual GA nonsense going on that you find up close.  There was plenty of room on the floor to get fairly close to the stage if you wanted, and plenty of room where we ended up standing towards the back-side (five o'clock looking at the stage).  For the Sphere, with the GA's, you are close enough to the band for those that like proximity to the action.  As far as visuals for the GA's, I didn't have any sense of not getting the full visual sense of what was offered.  Sure you had to look up at times but the visuals were amazing from any perspective and to be honest everyone from any seat would have to look up to get the full picture.  I feel if I was seated, especially up high, the band would've seemed a million miles away, and I would've lost that close proximity perspective of the show.  GA's were a great mix of seeing a live band up close, and being able to see the full spectacle of the Sphere.  Sound was great as would be expected.  Anyway if you get a chance to experience it whether it's U2 or another band, I highly recommend it.

Looking forward to The Phish soon!

Blow, me, Joey

« Reply #5245 on: February 05, 2024, 11:40:18 am »
I like comedy shows, where the openers are better than, the main act.

Don't eat the food, at the Kennedy Center.

Birchmere, even agrees.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5246 on: February 05, 2024, 02:47:49 pm »

nice write-up.  i was going to say "glad the venue delivered", but c'mon, there's no way you walk outta that place without being awed. 
<sig>

notme

« Reply #5247 on: February 05, 2024, 09:36:22 pm »
u2@sphere> is it loud? do you need earplugs? could you lay on your back and get the full visual experience without craning your neck?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5248 on: February 06, 2024, 01:02:14 am »
u2@sphere> is it loud? do you need earplugs?

earplugs not needed.  not only is it not overly loud, the sound is so effing clean.  it was my impression that because there are no harsh distortions, they don't need to crank it up to a gzillion decibels to get the full effect.  the sound is just as impressive as the visuals, IMO.

could you lay on your back and get the full visual experience without craning your neck?

no, because there isn't anywhere in GA where you'd have enough room to get a full view of the ceiling/screen/dome.  imagine being in a medium-packed GA - you might find somewhere to lie down, but you'll have people standing all around you, inches away, like a wall blocking your peripheral view.  maybe if you hired a phalanx of bouncers, somehow obtained GA tickets for all of them, and got them to set up a wide perimeter so you have amount of space...
<sig>

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5249 on: February 06, 2024, 02:29:44 pm »
agree with all this.  But I wore earplugs due to my tinnitus.  I thought it was loud enough where it was needed.  Sound was great.   

u2@sphere> is it loud? do you need earplugs?

earplugs not needed.  not only is it not overly loud, the sound is so effing clean.  it was my impression that because there are no harsh distortions, they don't need to crank it up to a gzillion decibels to get the full effect.  the sound is just as impressive as the visuals, IMO.

could you lay on your back and get the full visual experience without craning your neck?

no, because there isn't anywhere in GA where you'd have enough room to get a full view of the ceiling/screen/dome.  imagine being in a medium-packed GA - you might find somewhere to lie down, but you'll have people standing all around you, inches away, like a wall blocking your peripheral view.  maybe if you hired a phalanx of bouncers, somehow obtained GA tickets for all of them, and got them to set up a wide perimeter so you have amount of space...