Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242855 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4365 on: March 31, 2014, 08:44:46 pm »
I'd need to do a side by side with BCBSBW, but can't say I disagree. Also sitting on a CEntral WAters BBBW, which is supposed to me top notch.

Really like Great Divide Old Ruffian in terms of American style, non barrel aged.

I opened a Bolt Cutter over the weekend. Better now than it was fresh, but nothing special. Sucaba might be the best bareleywine I've had.

isn't bcbsbw an english barleywine? bolt cutter is american, the comparison would not be fair.  american barleywines are one style i have yet to really get into.  love english barleywines... can't get enough of them, but haven't found that special american barleywine that ropes me in.

anyways, i'm looking forward to cracking open my bolt cutter (thanks, sweetcell!).  fatskippy, do you think i should keep it aging or would you recommend letting it go a bit longer?

Yada

« Reply #4366 on: March 31, 2014, 09:20:11 pm »
Don't try to keep it all for yourself Jimmy. Ck is tapping a keg tomorrow. I'd expect a line and for it to be kicked in an hour.

James Ford

« Reply #4367 on: March 31, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »
Wasn't the case last year, according to someone on beer advocate forum:

Churchkey will have KBS at opening (4pm) tomorrow. Went last year and it was a suprisingly small crowd with a lot Nats fans coming in post opening day game.

Don't try to keep it all for yourself Jimmy. Ck is tapping a keg tomorrow. I'd expect a line and for it to be kicked in an hour.

Yada

« Reply #4368 on: March 31, 2014, 09:42:12 pm »
4pm may be a bit early, but my COB, that place will be a mob scene.

James Ford

« Reply #4369 on: March 31, 2014, 09:43:38 pm »
Get to work by  6 or 7am and your COB is 3:30!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4370 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:58 pm »
http://dontdrinkbeer.com/2014/03/22/blind-barrel-aged-barleywine-tasting-results-are-in-god-damn-it/

blind barleywine tasting results

there is no way you can taste that many BWs and be able to differentiate any subtleties.  not sure i can trust anything gleamed from this taste-test. 

love english barleywines... can't get enough of them, but haven't found that special american barleywine that ropes me in.

anyways, i'm looking forward to cracking open my bolt cutter (...).  fatskippy, do you think i should keep it aging or would you recommend letting it go a bit longer?

american BW = heavy hopping (among other things).  with time, hops fall, making an american BW closer to a british.  you like british BW.  ergo, i would hold out on your american BW (AKA Bolt Cutter).
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4371 on: April 01, 2014, 09:08:07 am »
Get to work by  6 or 7am and your COB is 3:30!

I'm a fan of getting to work around 9am and leaving early!

imbecile

« Reply #4372 on: April 01, 2014, 09:34:18 am »
Anyone get tickets for Savor?

stevewizzle

« Reply #4373 on: April 01, 2014, 01:02:04 pm »
http://dontdrinkbeer.com/2014/03/22/blind-barrel-aged-barleywine-tasting-results-are-in-god-damn-it/

blind barleywine tasting results

there is no way you can taste that many BWs and be able to differentiate any subtleties.  not sure i can trust anything gleamed from this taste-test. 

i drank 7 or 8 at hard liver and agree, there wasn't much difference by the end.  there's a couple randoms that don't make much sense on the list (sucaba is pretty low, MOAS is super low), but for the most part the ones i have had are in order.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:04:59 pm by stevewizzle »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4374 on: April 03, 2014, 11:47:23 am »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/03/bill-would-require-florida-craft-brewers-to-sell-beer-to-distributors-then-buy-it-back-for-resale/

when you cant beat em . . . use your political influence through payoffs, to change the rules.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4375 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »
it kind of makes sense.  the distributors, the guys that sell your mediocore beer to stores, regardless of whether it sells or not, and who are tasked with making sure tap lines stay fresh and keep up hte marketing campaigns, get totally undercut when a big release happens.  breweries in oregon (deschutes and logsdon, for example) now overprice their big releases at the brewery, and then provide a big allottment for the distributor to sell at a lower price in stores.  this seems to keep the most amount of people happy.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4376 on: April 03, 2014, 01:00:13 pm »
wizzle, i hope you're being sarcastic...

breweries in oregon (deschutes and logsdon, for example) now overprice their big releases at the brewery, and then provide a big allottment for the distributor to sell at a lower price in stores.  this seems to keep the most amount of people happy.

right, but note that there is no requirement to jack up prices, or involve a distributor, etc.  the breweries decided on their own this is what makes the most sense.  the only thing that the new FL requirement to sell to distributors for on-site sales does is put money in the pockets of distributors who have done nothing to deserve it:

If they want to sell it in their own tap rooms, they would then have to buy it back at what is typically a 30-40 percent mark-up without the bottles or cans ever leaving the brewery

distributors need to be compensated for the other services they render, but that doesn't give them the right to muscle in on their suppliers and dictate how they're going to be compensated.  if a distributor feels that not getting in on brewery-only releases is unacceptable, they can stop distributing that brewery's beer.  they shouldn't be passing laws to forcefully insert themselves into their partner's business.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #4377 on: April 03, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »
i said it kind of made sense, not that i agree with it.  and it's florida. fuck florida.

but i do think distributors are a necessary evil.  i think breweries should stick with brewing and allow distributors to do their job, but obviously there's no harm in putting up bottles and cans for sale at their shops.  i was simply offering a middle ground here... if you're keeping all your great beers away from your distributor (e.g., hunaphu or equivalent whale), then it's undercutting their job.  not everyone lives next to their favorite brewery, so distribution is a good thing. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #4378 on: April 05, 2014, 03:17:37 am »
From Anchorage brewing Facebook:

"Well after 2 straight weeks of double brews, we are finally done brewing A Deal With The Devil Barleywine! 112 hours of boiling, 28,000 lbs of malt and 46 fresh Cognac barrel send from France, we now will have 100 bbls of this aging for next year. 1300 cases! Hopefully there will be more to go around. Thanks Jeremiah for all the hard work, we got it done."

that's an increase from ~50 cases to 1300. 

Yada

« Reply #4379 on: April 09, 2014, 01:36:22 pm »
What a drag beer prices are in MoCo.

Parabola is in at a local shop and they're charging $29!!!! a bottle... f'n lolz.