Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242972 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4410 on: April 17, 2014, 06:12:15 pm »
Goose Island is pretty good beer.  Nothing wrong with cheaper prices. It isn't going to get me to stop drinking Union Craft or German, Austrian, and Belgian brews but if all they have is generic beers at a bar I would rather get Goose Island for 3 bucks than a Coors Light.  There is certainly no shortage of craft brews.  I don't see how this is going to effect craft brewers but a certain point the market will be saturated with the craft breweries and the fad will end.

No... the good ones will survive, the mediocre ones like Goose Island that are purchased by large corporate breweries will survive, and the crappy ones will disappear. The fad won't end though.

this is all true.  i imagine the low prices won't be sustainable, but that's where the atlantic article gets interesting... domestic beers case sale decline doesn't necessarily correlate 1:1 with dollar sales decline.  so domestic beer is becoming more profitable, and these same companies can probably subsidize some craft brew brands they own for the time being so they maintain most of the taps in bars.

Sure it will.  You can tell as IPA's are so much  more popular than everything else combined.  It isn't like people are actually changing and liking new things.  They have gone from one extreme to the other.  I doubt it will be the best beer that will survive.  More the best marketing and management that will survive.   Unless people start exclusively drinking local beers than it will collapse. 

not to turn this into another "you have shit taste" discussions, but i really have to just write off your opinion on IPAs and assume that you've just never had a good one.  and that makes sense... there's, oh, i don't know, a handful of good IPAs available year-round in the DC/Baltimore area, and unless you have it fresh, on draft, and from a clean tap, it's not going to leave much of an impression on you.  IPA will forever be my go-to, because when they are good, they're fucking great.

Got that Stochastic Grapefruit thing waiting in the fridge...
why aren't you drinking this now?

This doesn't even have anything to do with my opinion on the quality of IPA's.  It is just easy to see it is fad.  People have gone from an extreme of barely any hop flavor to being hit over the head with hops.  I like some IPAs.  But I wouldn't' want to just drink Dunkels the rest of my life either or Beligian Blondes. Or even Heifweizens.  If people really were getting into tastes of beer they would be trying everything instead of just drinking one style of beer.   

but IPAs have everything to do with why you think craft beer is a fad.

IPAs are somewhat of a gateway to craft beer... for a lot of people, i imagine it introduces flavors they didn't know existed.

so not only is it not a fad, once more people realize how great a fresh IPA can taste, they'll be seeking out more local, fresh beers.  i don't think we'll consider the market saturated for a long, long time.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4411 on: April 17, 2014, 06:21:51 pm »
speaking of IPAs... i just got a sad phone call from the guys over at yakima valley hops, who informed me that my order of a fuckton of citra hops and hopshots was mixed up and sent to the wrong person. and presumably, i'm going to get some clowns order of a bunch pussy hops like williamette and fugles.  was hoping to get all my hops so i could brew an all citra IPA this weekend.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4412 on: April 18, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »
i'll be reading this on the ride home tonight:

The Misconceptions and Misinformation Surrounding Limited Release Craft Beers
http://emptygrowler.com/2014/04/limited-releases/

commentary for beer geeks on the above article:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-misconceptions-and-misinformation-surrounding-limited-release-craft-beers.170743/

speaking of IPAs... i just got a sad phone call from the guys over at yakima valley hops, who informed me that my order of a fuckton of citra hops and hopshots was mixed up and sent to the wrong person. and presumably, i'm going to get some clowns order of a bunch pussy hops like williamette and fugles.  was hoping to get all my hops so i could brew an all citra IPA this weekend.

i (and possibly only i) feel your pain.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4413 on: April 18, 2014, 06:29:20 pm »
Best live music venue to find KBS on the beer cooler:

IOTA

No idea what they are selling it for.

Yada

« Reply #4414 on: April 18, 2014, 06:59:00 pm »

IOTA

Why didn't you ask?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4415 on: April 18, 2014, 07:04:43 pm »

IOTA

I go to Iota for the beer and the Birchmere for the food.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #4416 on: April 18, 2014, 07:35:11 pm »
Speaking of Richmond and beer, I'll be at Mekong for lunch and Hardywood for dinner on Friday.

James Ford

« Reply #4417 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »
I didn't want to be tempted!

I had a $6 draft of Ten Fidy at Clarendon WF prior to the show, so i had had my fill of imperial stouts.

IOTA

Why didn't you ask?

« Reply #4418 on: April 18, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »
Speaking of Richmond and beer, I'll be at Mekong for lunch and Hardywood for dinner on Friday.
Hardywood does food?
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #4419 on: April 18, 2014, 08:20:48 pm »
Food trucks. I'm not a big fan of food trucks, but what the hell. Any word on Boka Taco? Thy are supposed to be there.

Hardywood does food?

« Reply #4420 on: April 18, 2014, 08:24:02 pm »
Food trucks. I'm not a big fan of food trucks, but what the hell. Any word on Boka Taco? Thy are supposed to be there.

Hardywood does food?
Oh, I did know they did the food truck thing. The Boca taco thing is raved about. They've opened two hyped restaurants in addition to the taco truck. They're probably a good bet. Goatacado is another good RVA food truck, I can attest to personally. Have fun.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4422 on: April 20, 2014, 04:21:21 pm »
Went to an eastr dinner at the in-laws.  Their pastor showed up with Three Philosophers :) :) :)

stevewizzle

« Reply #4423 on: April 20, 2014, 09:32:03 pm »

i (and possibly only i) feel your pain.

they accidentally sent me a pro-brewers package.

brewed an IPA with centinnial, sorachi ace, and a fuck ton of azacca hops. 

i'm in hop heaven.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4424 on: April 21, 2014, 12:21:03 pm »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/20/new-environmentally-unfriendly-fda-proposal-will-hike-up-the-price-of-your-beer/

this is a serious issue.  the new FDA regulation is going to turn a mutually beneficial relationship into a lose-lose proposition.  this is intervening where there is no problem.  frustrating. 
<sig>