Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243007 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5790 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:50 pm »
resistance is apparently futile in the craft beer industry.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5791 on: September 11, 2015, 11:40:48 am »
Stone's next new release: "Your Father Smelt of Elderberries" ;D

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/stone-your-father-smelt-of-elderberries.331661/

<sig>

walk,on,by

« Reply #5792 on: September 11, 2015, 11:46:41 am »
but, does it fart, in our general direction?

Space Freely

« Reply #5793 on: September 11, 2015, 12:39:11 pm »
I tried one of these last night. The Sam Adams version of hard root beer, not the Pabst/STB version. First time I had to drain pour a bottle of "beer" in a long time. Good thing I had a bottle of the Truth cold to take its place, and good thing I only bought one of these.

walk,on,by

« Reply #5794 on: September 11, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »
really?  I sort of like the other one, not your father,s rootbeer.  my partner hates beer, and loves the stuff.  I will try the sam adams one, and give my opinion.  I think, that you are too much a snob, to give a honest review, though.

Yada

« Reply #5795 on: September 11, 2015, 01:29:44 pm »
really?  I sort of like the other one, not your father,s rootbeer.  my partner hates beer, and loves the stuff.  I will try the sam adams one, and give my opinion.  I think, that you are too much a snob, to give a honest review, though.

I, bet, he like its,, because, it doesn't, taste, like............ beer.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5796 on: September 11, 2015, 01:37:21 pm »
I actually just went across the street to Total Wine and More to get some Bell's for guests coming over tomorrow to watch football, and found a few four packs of Gwar's Oderus Ale which immediately sent me into a cold panic.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5797 on: September 11, 2015, 01:41:25 pm »

It tasted like root beer (which I'm ok with) with some kind of weirdly awful medicinal aftertaste on top of that.

The Sam Adams one has been described as more "spice" while the Pabst one has been described as "much sweeter".  A lot of "spice" beers tend to rub me the wrong way...

Interestingly, Whole Foods refuses to sell the Not Your Fathers because it has artificial ingredients, but they do sell the Coney Island.

If I were a true snob, I wouldn't have followed it up with a Flying Dog beer.  ;D

Space Freely

« Reply #5798 on: September 11, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »
I actually just went across the street to Total Wine and More to get some Bell's for guests coming over tomorrow to watch football, and found a few four packs of Gwar's Oderus Ale which immediately sent me into a cold panic.

I don't normally seek out Bell's beer (though give me a Two Hearted and I'm a happy man)...but I'm hoping to have one of these tonight on draft.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/29-The%20Wild%20One%20Ale

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5799 on: September 11, 2015, 01:53:52 pm »

I don't normally seek out Bell's beer (though give me a Two Hearted and I'm a happy man)...but I'm hoping to have one of these tonight on draft.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/29-The%20Wild%20One%20Ale

Hmm, I've never heard about that one. My local pub has a great relationship with the Virginia Bell's rep and gets most of the unusual stuff but not that yet. They've currently got Traverse City Barrel Aged Porter -- which was really unusual (11.7abv) -- and Two Hearted on tap and Neptune and Oracle in bottles. If you like Two-Hearted, if you can ever find Oracle, give it a try. DIPA but quite as bitter as Hopslam.
LVMH

Unsanity

« Reply #5800 on: September 12, 2015, 03:16:34 am »
I've been wanting to try Bell's Wild One for years.

Space Freely

« Reply #5801 on: September 12, 2015, 08:48:39 am »

It's excellent. We had two on draft and brought home 32 oz in growler ($5 what a steal).

It's been on draft at Whole Foods Fair Lakes for several days now. Grab it if you can.

Or you could pay $85-$150 for a bottle of it online.

http://mybeercellar.com/?itm=37425
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:24:04 am by Space Freely »

Unsanity

« Reply #5802 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:14 pm »

It's excellent. We had two on draft and brought home 32 oz in growler ($5 what a steal).

It's been on draft at Whole Foods Fair Lakes for several days now. Grab it if you can.

Or you could pay $85-$150 for a bottle of it online.

http://mybeercellar.com/?itm=37425
I wish I would have seen this sooner haha. I went there to check it out and it appears to be gone. Foiled again! I don't think I'll be getting any of those bottles haha.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:52:58 pm by Unsanity »

Space Freely

« Reply #5803 on: September 14, 2015, 02:06:20 pm »
Warning: trip report.

My wife wanted to try a new pick your own apple place this year, so I admit, I looked for one with breweries on the route.

We found one five minutes from Adroit Theory, so figured we'd have a couple of beers there. Unfortunately, they were having a private event with their "Black Heart Society" (Was Joan Jett there)? So we didn't get in.

Fortunately, Corcoran Brewing was two minutes away. They had a nice group of 60+ musicians playing Celtic fiddle music (which was much more our speed than the prerecorded metal they play at Adoit). We shared two beers...a bourbon barrel aged DIPA with ghost peppers, and a bourbon aged imperial stout. Both were decent.

After picking apples, we stopped off at Ocelot and sampled the DIPA, two IPA's, a black IPA, and the imperial stout. All were good or better. The winners were Never Ending Maze, an "almost DIPA" that was quite simply awesome (better than the Kiss the Sky DIPA which is excellent), and My Only Friend, the imperial stout which I would say compares with Old Rasputin (more bitter than sweet).

« Reply #5804 on: September 14, 2015, 02:25:21 pm »
So what Orchard did you hit?
slack