Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2693520 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1845 on: December 09, 2009, 04:36:31 pm »
I'm in for BB, wonder if his new  backing band is as good as 5
the wellfed boys were...
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1846 on: December 09, 2009, 06:30:07 pm »
Versus @ Black Cat

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1847 on: December 10, 2009, 01:09:30 am »
That was a throughly enjoyable evening of music, it so nice to get hear musicians doing timeless music and not what happens to be trendy at the time.

Very much enjoyed the opening set by Cory Chisel and The Wandering Sons, it's not very often that I wished an opener player longer, because I would have dug hearing more from this group.  I rather enjoy bands that are able to bring rock, pop and twang influences together without veering off to deep into alt-country or straight ahead rock.  They reminded me of early Blue Rodeo....

What can I say about Brendan Benson in a world littered with bandwagon jumping indie bands, it's nice to know that he stills rocks those catchy songs live.  Nice mix of new and old songs with a solid band behind him.  In four years time he'll probably release another great album of timeless sounding tunes, when most people will have already forgotten about Passion Pit.

It also landed on me like a ton of bricks during his set that "Garbage Day" may well be the song of the year.  With that kickin' Funk Brothersesque rhythm track and Motown string arrangement,  it easily crushes other contemporary soul efforts.  Made me think that a Brendan Benson and JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound would be an excellent concert pairing....
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #1848 on: December 10, 2009, 02:15:53 am »
That Brendan Benson set was incredibly fun and well-played. Should've went upstairs to check out some of the opener. Ahh well.

Pleasure chatting it up with you as always, Kosmo.

P.S. Fuck Passion Pit.
احمد

xcanuck

« Reply #1849 on: December 10, 2009, 10:05:50 am »
Last night's Brendan Benson show was easily one of my favorites of the year. Lord, that man can craft beautiful songs and he's got such a talented band behind him. A nice way for me to close out 2009 at the Club.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1850 on: December 10, 2009, 10:20:35 am »
Brendan's drummer on this tour is Brad Pemberton of Ryan Adams & the Cardinals fame.
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1851 on: December 10, 2009, 01:53:09 pm »
any good shows next week? I don't see a single show I'd like to see.
(_|_)

Cali

« Reply #1852 on: December 10, 2009, 07:21:35 pm »
maybe the whigs tonight at the cat. anyone know about mean creek or the features? are they worth watching?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1853 on: December 10, 2009, 07:46:31 pm »
a sunny day in glasgow is playing tonight at the red & black  (with the young republic and the torches) ... no one fav venue, i know, but it's a damn fine band that might it worth the outing. 

any good shows next week? I don't see a single show I'd like to see.

nope, nothing on my concert calendar - which is sorta motivating me to go see ASDiG, then again it's far and i'm tired... EDIT: there is screen vinyl image at the red & black next thursday, dunno if that works for you.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:51:51 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1854 on: December 10, 2009, 07:50:29 pm »
I'm very partial to the Features enjoyed seeing them several years ago,  put out a couple better than average records.  Best described as Garage Rock,  they did recording with Brendon benson for his latest.
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1855 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »
The Features should be great, agreed...I've never seen Mean Creek but the stuff on their myspace sounds good. I shall be there for all 3 bands tonight....
(_|_)

killsaly

« Reply #1856 on: December 10, 2009, 08:09:10 pm »
Screen Vinyl Image's show also features Nightmare Air, a band with members of Film School, who recently released a good EP.

redsock

« Reply #1857 on: December 11, 2009, 09:31:17 am »
a sunny day in glasgow is playing tonight at the red & black  (with the young republic and the torches) ... no one fav venue, i know, but it's a damn fine band that might it worth the outing. 

And it was a pretty good show. Most packed I think I've ever seen the R+B. Sound difficulties abound, but to be expected when violins (Young Republic) and female harmonies (ASDIG) are required, especially at this venue, which is simply too small and too "rustic" to handle bands like these.

Young Republic were good, but very Spoon/Walkmen sounding. VERY. The vocal mixing during ASDIG was great, even though some of the songs sounded a bit alike by the end of the set.

killsaly

« Reply #1858 on: December 15, 2009, 02:46:43 pm »
Screen Vinyl Image's show also features Nightmare Air, a band with members of Film School, who recently released a good EP.

Also I am probably opening this show on Thursday, so come out early if you were planning on going.  I will either be DJing some tracks i am working on for a shoegaze/electronic mixtape i have been working on, or will be using my drum machine and guitar and playing a short set with the keyboard player from my band. 

Demo track, this one a Foals remix, more of the house side of me, as opposed to my usual DNB:
http://www.killsaly.com/music/PROJECTS/mt/ElectricBloomkillsalyremix.mp3

killsaly

« Reply #1859 on: December 23, 2009, 05:42:05 pm »
Wow this thread fell a few pages.  I guess the snow is keeping people from attending live music events.

Tonight:
Baltimore Bass Connection 6th Annual XMas Party with Spank Rock, Amanda Blank, Death Set, etc.