Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3245269 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7380 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:01 pm »
Got there early enough to bring some home.

Is it roughly the same deal as Aslin in that you show up very early or you get nothing to take home?

I was planning to drive down but I'd hate to have nothing to sow for it.
If you show up on Tuesdays, you will pretty much be assured of coming home with whatever you want of what they're bottling that week. If you come after Tuesday, keep a close eye on the Facebook page.
LVMH

medeski7

« Reply #7381 on: September 15, 2016, 09:02:42 pm »
Got there early enough to bring some home.

Is it roughly the same deal as Aslin in that you show up very early or you get nothing to take home?

I was planning to drive down but I'd hate to have nothing to sow for it.
If you show up on Tuesdays, you will pretty much be assured of coming home with whatever you want of what they're bottling that week. If you come after Tuesday, keep a close eye on the Facebook page.

That's accurate.  I got there Wednesday early evening and saw they had 50 cases of each beer left before leaving.  They often sell out by Thursday and have more sought after beers sold out by Wed night.  Facebook is the guide though.

« Reply #7382 on: September 19, 2016, 12:14:03 pm »
I have to go to an Oktoberfest thing this weekend. Assuming price is a constant, which of these not-an-IPA, nor-from-Michigan beers do I drink?

Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest-Marzen
Paulaner Oktoberfest
Schlenkerla Marzen
Einbecker Pilsner
Hardywood Benny and the Fest
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #7383 on: September 19, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »
I have to go to an Oktoberfest thing this weekend. Assuming price is a constant, which of these not-an-IPA, nor-from-Michigan beers do I drink?

Paulaner Oktoberfest
Schlenkerla Marzen
Einbecker Pilsner

Hardywood Benny and the Fest has the most pleasing name..

« Reply #7384 on: September 19, 2016, 12:19:18 pm »

Paulaner Oktoberfest
Schlenkerla Marzen
Einbecker Pilsner

Hardywood Benny and the Fest has the most pleasing name..
I concur. But the jokey-name might not be indicative of the beer quality. Hence, I am crowdsourcing my selection to the beer nerds who frequent this thread.
LVMH

« Reply #7385 on: September 19, 2016, 01:22:50 pm »
If you like you beer fairly plain and not hoppy ...Einbecker Pilsner

but Benny and the fest is a great name and a RVA brewery
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7386 on: September 19, 2016, 01:34:46 pm »

Paulaner Oktoberfest
Schlenkerla Marzen
Einbecker Pilsner

If you like smoked beer (I do very much, when paired with the right food) , Schlenkerla is the right choice. If you don't, and you like beers more on the malty side (without the smoke), it's a toss-up between Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr. If you like middling lagers, Einbecker would be your bet. I know nothing about the Hardywood beer, but based on their other German style beers I've had, I'd stick with a beer actually from Germany.

« Reply #7387 on: September 19, 2016, 02:00:32 pm »

Paulaner Oktoberfest
Schlenkerla Marzen
Einbecker Pilsner

If you like smoked beer (I do very much, when paired with the right food) , Schlenkerla is the right choice. If you don't, and you like beers more on the malty side (without the smoke), it's a toss-up between Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr. If you like middling lagers, Einbecker would be your bet. I know nothing about the Hardywood beer, but based on their other German style beers I've had, I'd stick with a beer actually from Germany.
Thank you for your sage wisdom. I would've been quite embarrassed to come in here next Monday only to be informed I had ordered a sub-optimal beer.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #7388 on: September 19, 2016, 02:03:26 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7389 on: September 19, 2016, 02:55:28 pm »
I'd stick with a beer actually from Germany.

the only issue that i have with this statement is that by the time those beers actually from germany make it here, they aren't the same beer.  spending a month on a hot freighter doesn't do good things to beer. 

granted we've all been conditioned to think that german beers are supposed to taste slightly stale a oxidized, so who knows... but at least the hardywood stuff might be fresh and not abused in transit.  so which will be best: a staled german beer from germany, or an attempt at a german beer from in-state?
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7390 on: September 19, 2016, 04:03:27 pm »

the only issue that i have with this statement is that by the time those beers actually from germany make it here, they aren't the same beer.  spending a month on a hot freighter doesn't do good things to beer. 

granted we've all been conditioned to think that german beers are supposed to taste slightly stale a oxidized, so who knows... but at least the hardywood stuff might be fresh and not abused in transit.  so which will be best: a staled german beer from germany, or an attempt at a german beer from in-state?

Wise words. I think it's also safe to say that since these are low abv beers, if you drink slow enough or have a designated driver, you can safely try more than one.

« Reply #7391 on: September 19, 2016, 04:05:04 pm »

Wise words. I think it's also safe to say that since these are low abv beers, if you drink slow enough or have a designated driver, you can safely try more than one.
Its within walking distance. I can get straight up crunk if I so desire.
LVMH

brennser

« Reply #7392 on: September 19, 2016, 04:13:57 pm »
Been lucky to imbibe some delicious beer over the past week. Spent 4 days in Seattle just as the fesh hop wave was starting - didn't catch the crest of the wave but still incredible wet hop goodness from Fremont and Laurelwood.

Holy Mountain knocking out some incredible wood aged and funky stuff.

Reubens and Stoup a 2 minute walk from each other, each with about 15-20 beers on tap.

Cloudburst is the new kid on the block - some killer IPAs - won't do taster pours though - 10oz or 16oz only.

The freshest anti hero on shelves in chicago was 6 weeks old, surprisingly enough, but perhaps the reason was 2 week old moasic hero everywhere - just delicious

Grabbed a glass of Vietnamese Speedway Stout at The Publican.

Tried a new Mexican inspired brewery owned by Rick Bayless (iss?) the celebrity chef - decent.

Then at a wedding in the suburbs was surprised (but not too surprised) to find small breweries everywhere - ended up at a great little place called Noon Whistle with solid IPAs incl a NE style IPA and berliner weisses
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:15:37 pm by brennser »

Bagley

« Reply #7393 on: September 23, 2016, 11:00:41 am »
Anyone sampled the Firestone Luponic Distortion?

brennser

« Reply #7394 on: September 23, 2016, 11:22:42 am »
Anyone sampled the Firestone Luponic Distortion?

i liked both 1 and 2 - 3 should be out soon i think