Author Topic: Coachella 2009  (Read 103749 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Coachella 2009
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2009, 02:29:40 pm »
Why can't Americans hold festivals in sensible locations and sensible times of the year like the Connect Festival in Scotland at the end of August start of September when temperatures are in the 70s

to be fair, scotland couldn't hold a festival in 90+ degree weather if it wanted to :D

i think it was sonick who pointed out that the year that he was at 'chella, the weather was actually quite nice.  blame global warming?
<sig>

« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2009, 02:34:20 pm »
You're joking, right?

I have no doubt there are better shows on the bill, but the three icons on the bill have to be McCartney, Morrissey, and Cohen. Not that they are even favorites of mine, but it would be nice to say that I saw them.

What the hell are you talking about? There's three artist at the whole festival that everybody needs to see once in their lifetime (although i probably never will), and they're all on day 1.

who are those three artists?   McCartney, Cohen and... Patton?  i'd say Franz, but i doubt you'd agree.  if you say Bingham i'm hitting you upside the head.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2009, 02:38:06 pm »
after getting through traffic to and from the field, waiting in line for a million years to get in (missing bands while some girl tries to convince security to let her bring her pillow/blanket/other prohibited item in) to pay too much money for food and water and relieve yourself in port-o-potties for three days straight all while in the sun with no shade and thousands of people...do-able, yes, but enjoyable? no

- traffic isn't an issue if you take any route than monroe ave. (aka where 95% of people will be).  with some strategic parking, we made it back to our hotel in indio 15 minutes after climbing into the car.
- i don't remember ever spending more than 20 minutes to get through security
- i thought the food prices were relatively reasonable and the selection above average.  overall, i was rather impressed with the food at coachella.
- can't do much about the port-o-potties :(
- shade was available, it just wasn't always on hand where you wanted it (i.e. where your fav band was playing). 

if you're speaking from experience, sorry to hear your time at coachella was so miserable.  personally, i think the festival is top-notch.  looks highly unlikely that i'll be able to make this this year, tho.
<sig>

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2009, 02:51:35 pm »
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ctdri-residence-inn-palm-desert/

$119/night. 2 Bedroom suite. 2 bathrooms. Balcony overlooking the desert/mountains. 15 minutes from the fields.

You can't really beat that!

Not to mention, the way to really beat the traffic at Coachella is to just lay around after the show and laze it up with your friends staring at the sky all sweaty and worn out. It's a bonding experience, f'real. When I went, we hung around for a while til traffic died down and it was smooth sailing. Seriously, leave early, hang out, and leave happy. That's the key.

As far as the heat/etc., it's really just about staying in the shade as long as you need to, and being practical about shit (sunscreen/water/food). Obviously if it's 100+ degrees out, and you're dehydrated, don't do any ridiculous drugs, mmkay.
Woof.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2009, 03:04:57 pm »
I am up for Sunday but not sure right now (I still owe a boardie $$...haha).  Where are ya getting the $119/night? (or was the price when you booked early?)
(_|_)

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2009, 03:10:34 pm »
I am up for Sunday but not sure right now (I still owe a boardie $$...haha).  Where are ya getting the $119/night? (or was the price when you booked early?)

Shhh, here's a secret. My sister works for Ritz Carlton/Marriott, so I get her rate throughout the chain. (And yeah, early booking.)
Woof.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2009, 03:20:45 pm »
Charlie is pissed that Marnie Stern and Animal collective are not in the lineup :P
(_|_)

MonkeyPants

« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2009, 03:49:55 pm »
- traffic isn't an issue if you take any route than monroe ave. (aka where 95% of people will be).  with some strategic parking, we made it back to our hotel in indio 15 minutes after climbing into the car.
- i don't remember ever spending more than 20 minutes to get through security
- i thought the food prices were relatively reasonable and the selection above average.  overall, i was rather impressed with the food at coachella.
- can't do much about the port-o-potties :(
- shade was available, it just wasn't always on hand where you wanted it (i.e. where your fav band was playing). 

if you're speaking from experience, sorry to hear your time at coachella was so miserable.  personally, i think the festival is top-notch.  looks highly unlikely that i'll be able to make this this year, tho.

speaking from experience.  it wasn't the worst experience ever, but it was truly exhausting and not worth the money or the energy.  Definitely waited more than an hour just to get in...and I showed up early to catch one of the first few bands.  clearly you haven't much different dietary restrictions and price expectations than I do.  Found no shade except under my own hat or in empty tents that were empty because the music wasn't good.  and traffic getting there wasn't bad. getting out?  totally different story.  took about 1.5 hours to go a distance that should have taken 20 minutes.  And that wasn't even at one of the more crowded years.

So many other festivals are so much more worth the effort and cost less (in money and time).  I couldn't even be convinced to go if I lived in LA and was actually within driving distance
PANTS

azaghal1981

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2009, 03:55:59 pm »

Shhh, here's a secret. My sister works for Ritz Carlton/Marriott, so I get her rate throughout the chain. (And yeah, early booking.)
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ctdri-residence-inn-palm-desert/

$119/night. 2 Bedroom suite. 2 bathrooms. Balcony overlooking the desert/mountains. 15 minutes from the fields.

You can't really beat that!

Not to mention, the way to really beat the traffic at Coachella is to just lay around after the show and laze it up with your friends staring at the sky all sweaty and worn out. It's a bonding experience, f'real. When I went, we hung around for a while til traffic died down and it was smooth sailing. Seriously, leave early, hang out, and leave happy. That's the key.

As far as the heat/etc., it's really just about staying in the shade as long as you need to, and being practical about shit (sunscreen/water/food). Obviously if it's 100+ degrees out, and you're dehydrated, don't do any ridiculous drugs, mmkay.

I need to stop reading this thread before temptations get the best of me again.

Yep; this thread is dead to me from here on out.
احمد

saintangelsin

« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2009, 02:27:06 am »
Does anyone think that Morrissey's set will feature a special guest guitar player (Johnny Marr) on a few songs? I know there were loads of rumors of a Smiths reunion and I get the feeling that the line up flyer is kinda lying about it just being Morrissey. Any thoughts?

I gotta say it's a pretty cool lineup

I think people will have fun if they go

And isn't that the bottom line?

Totally. I agree!

So I guess here's a good question...what's the chances of some of these interesting headliners (not the killers though...) being at V-fest? I'd rather spend my money on V-fest than Coachella if that means I'd get to see Leonard Cohen or Paul McCartney.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2009, 01:26:01 pm »
Shepard Fairey is on that lineup for Sunday...is he doing music?

I thought he just did graphic design. Hmph.
Woof.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2009, 02:20:42 pm »
M.I.A. got added for Saturday.
(_|_)

Sage 703

« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2009, 03:04:25 pm »
Does anyone think that Morrissey's set will feature a special guest guitar player (Johnny Marr) on a few songs? I know there were loads of rumors of a Smiths reunion and I get the feeling that the line up flyer is kinda lying about it just being Morrissey. Any thoughts?

No way.  They'd advertise that if they knew it was happening; would sell too many tickets to keep that quiet.

azaghal1981

« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2009, 07:59:10 am »
The Antony set will be with Matthew fucking Herbert!

Between this and MBV, I may have been sold on sunday.
احمد

bearman🐻

« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2009, 09:32:23 am »
I'll be there for Sunday.