Author Topic: Coachella 2009  (Read 103742 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Coachella 2009
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2009, 01:32:39 am »
Hercules and Love Affair will no longer play...
(_|_)

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2009, 03:19:08 pm »
See you guys in Indio in...2 1/2 weeks?
Woof.

betao

« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2009, 12:21:02 am »
I'll be going, only 10 more days actually. Fly out Thursday morning, the wait is so long at this point!

set times should be out in about a week.

betao

« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2009, 12:24:26 am »
Btw - you guys didn't really talk about this, but back in March, there were a few additions to the lineup:

Chemical Brothers (DJ set)
The Orb (live)
Etienne De Crecy (live)
Plump DJs
Busy P

And, on Saturday, the Dome will be open for the first time from 1 - 4 AM, featuring sets by various experimental/dubstep DJs such as Flying Lotus and Kode9. This is for campers only, too.

And, Amy Winehouse dropped from the lineup because she was denied her visa. Hahahahaha.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2009, 04:15:56 pm »
Saturday lineup BLOWS. The Orb are kinda boring live. Etienne De Crecy could be good, but Saturday is like the worst ever Coachella day.

Btw - you guys didn't really talk about this, but back in March, there were a few additions to the lineup:

The Orb (live)
Etienne De Crecy (live)
Plump DJs
Busy P

And, on Saturday, the Dome will be open for the first time from 1 - 4 AM, featuring sets by various experimental/dubstep DJs such as Flying Lotus and Kode9. This is for campers only, too.

And, Amy Winehouse dropped from the lineup because she was denied her visa. Hahahahaha.
(_|_)

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2009, 02:35:29 am »
Saturday lineup BLOWS. The Orb are kinda boring live. Etienne De Crecy could be good, but Saturday is like the worst ever Coachella day.

The Orb (live)
Etienne De Crecy (live)
Plump DJs
Busy P

Unless there was a stage that was:

Ida Maria --> Junior Boys --> Fleet Foxes --> Jenny Lewis --> M.I.A.

I'm not so into going on Saturday.
Woof.

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2009, 08:24:49 am »
Drive By Truckers, Band Of Horses, and Fleet Foxes would be enough to get me there on Saturday.

That is, assuming I had unlimited cash flow, didn't have a two year old at home, and didn't have my mom flying in to celebrate her birthday that day.

The Orb (live)
Etienne De Crecy (live)
Plump DJs
Busy P

Vas Deferens

« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2009, 08:59:24 am »
Enough to pay $100 to see all 3 bands?  I do like these bands but I've seen them all in smaller venues.

Drive By Truckers, Band Of Horses, and Fleet Foxes would be enough to get me there on Saturday.

That is, assuming I had unlimited cash flow, didn't have a two year old at home, and didn't have my mom flying in to celebrate her birthday that day.

(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2009, 09:02:30 am »
FAIL.  ;D

Junior Boys at Black Cat in May...
Ida Maria just played BC.
Fleet Foxes played 3 times at the BC.
Jenny Lewis playing 930
M.I.A. ..well how many times do we have to see her?
Saturday is one major FAIL.

(_|_)

« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2009, 09:20:00 am »
No, there's not much I'd pay $100 to see. I was assuming with unlimited cash flow.

But then again, if I had had already sunk a ton of money into flying out there, paying for lodging, renting a car, and going the other days, what's another $100?

Enough to pay $100 to see all 3 bands?  I do like these bands but I've seen them all in smaller venues.

bearman🐻

« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2009, 09:32:26 am »
Sunday is a good value...if I would be there Friday I'd consider that too, but Saturday is pretty much a waste. They were trying to get Neil Young to headline Saturday night. I think they should have scaled back to 2 days this year, but once the stage is erected they probably figure they can make more money this way. I'd be surprised if more than 30,000 or 40,000 people show up on any given day though. That's got to smart for Goldenvoice. I think capacity is somewhere around 60,000.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »
I know! Its going to be super "spacious".
Woof.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:01 pm »
I know! Its going to be super "spacious".

great marketing campaign - "come to coachella, it's spacious!" :)

saturday is the day the festival gets the most day-trippers from LA, so they probably felt that was the day they least needed to stack the line-up - partiers are going to come down anyways.  if you don't have enough big names for all three days, it makes sense to save the heavy hitters for friday and sunday.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:57:47 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

betao

« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2009, 01:34:25 am »
Sunday is a good value...if I would be there Friday I'd consider that too, but Saturday is pretty much a waste. They were trying to get Neil Young to headline Saturday night. I think they should have scaled back to 2 days this year, but once the stage is erected they probably figure they can make more money this way. I'd be surprised if more than 30,000 or 40,000 people show up on any given day though. That's got to smart for Goldenvoice. I think capacity is somewhere around 60,000.

You can expect that kind of attendance for Friday, single day passes for the day sold out.

Also, in terms of sales, last I heard (and this was back in late Feb/early March) that Saturday was selling better than Sunday. This would make sense, because a majority of the adds that came in March were indeed added to Sunday. Hmmm.

GV's plan for this lineup was to stack up Friday and Sunday, making Saturday the weaker day. They figured that people would just give in and buy 3-day passes for the fest.

There's also a rumor from CoS that a big name (headliner worthy) could be added very very soon, and Paul T (books the fest) apparently said in a very recent interview that the lineup "wasn't finalized yet". Interesting speculation.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2009, 01:38:34 am »
Everyone's throwing around David Bowie on Saturday now. Sounds good!
Woof.