Author Topic: Live Nation: Walmartizing the concert industry...  (Read 7451 times)

walkonby

Re: Live Nation: Walmartizing the concert industry...
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 05:46:47 pm »
at walmart, if you're not happy with a purchase you can return it and get a refund.

livenation is now like walmart.

both local LN venues (warner & the lube) are participating in the 3-day return offer.

great idea . . . but stills smells like sign of the times.  which smells like prince.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 07:26:49 pm »
I suspect that prince smells impecably good at all times... I fear that your analogy has broken down. But agreed, sign o' the times.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 07:32:10 pm »
This sounds like a gravy train for ticket brokers who over buy for shows and it allows LiveNation to re-sell tickets and collect service fees again...
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 07:33:11 pm »
And I bet that the list of different fragrances that Prince has on hand to make him smell good at all times is longer than the JA thread.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 07:37:11 pm »
POTW @azaghal.
<sig>

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:52 am »
peopleofwalmart.com

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2024, 02:36:42 pm »
$25 Live Nation Ticket Week
May 8-14
Cheap seats to bands you don't want to see at venues you don't want to go to!

hutch

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2024, 02:56:10 pm »
So true

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2024, 10:09:53 am »
JRAD
Dave Mason
John Fogerty
Pixies
Andy Summers
Santana
Pat Benatar
Janet Jackson
Tinariwen (!)
Stone Temple Pilots...

evilizac

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2024, 11:13:18 am »
   Am I just just that old, or are "grassroots" music scene pretty dead (I guess outside of Rap or Jambands)?
Like, where/what are the underground music scenes? Did the internet's "democratization" of music just broaden and flatten the mainstream. Is it just the immediate DMV area? IMP and their venues have lots of cover shows and legacy acts, Black Cat seems on life support, DC9 is the only venue that I ever hear of with buzz. Slash Run seems happy to still be in business (their sister venue is all but on its second round of death throes). I look at The Fillmore SS and it's the most incoherent mishmash of acts playing and lots of weekend dates just empty. It's hard to find sources for independent reviews and opinions that aren't also out to make their authors/reviewers stars in and of themselves.     
   Is the pipeline just young kids on TikTok or YouTube (with nothing but free time, though with their video editing and crafting skills, can't hate too much) or the Disney machine straight to what's left of the mainstream charts or am I just old (it can be both)?
All I read about independent music is how touring is such a loss, releasing music is a loss, selling merch is a loss. I guess it would make sense to stay in your basement and just release minutes long videos and reaction content and hope that you can ride that wave into a side hustle of making music. I mean hey, Kate Hudson was able to ride a nominally successful 20+ year acting career into an album's worth of light, generic retro-pop. Maybe she'll be showing up at The Fillmore this fall. 
WHAT?

hutch

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2024, 11:20:44 am »
A friend has a kid in high school in a band and they just played 932 at MPP.

hutch

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2024, 11:22:19 am »
What about Atlantis? Surprised you didn’t mention that….

Yada

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2024, 11:24:29 am »
   Am I just just that old, or are "grassroots" music scene pretty dead (I guess outside of Rap or Jambands)?
Like, where/what are the underground music scenes? Did the internet's "democratization" of music just broaden and flatten the mainstream. Is it just the immediate DMV area? IMP and their venues have lots of cover shows and legacy acts, Black Cat seems on life support, DC9 is the only venue that I ever hear of with buzz. Slash Run seems happy to still be in business (their sister venue is all but on its second round of death throes). I look at The Fillmore SS and it's the most incoherent mishmash of acts playing and lots of weekend dates just empty. It's hard to find sources for independent reviews and opinions that aren't also out to make their authors/reviewers stars in and of themselves.     
   Is the pipeline just young kids on TikTok or YouTube (with nothing but free time, though with their video editing and crafting skills, can't hate too much) or the Disney machine straight to what's left of the mainstream charts or am I just old (it can be both)?
All I read about independent music is how touring is such a loss, releasing music is a loss, selling merch is a loss. I guess it would make sense to stay in your basement and just release minutes long videos and reaction content and hope that you can ride that wave into a side hustle of making music. I mean hey, Kate Hudson was able to ride a nominally successful 20+ year acting career into an album's worth of light, generic retro-pop. Maybe she'll be showing up at The Fillmore this fall.

I do know there are a few hobo venues in DC, but you'd need to talk to Azaghal or Killsally about those deetz... but basically house shows or the handful of hobo shows is where I think you'd find anything local.

evilizac

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2024, 12:20:06 pm »
What about Atlantis? Surprised you didn’t mention that….
I'm kind of counting it as part of 9:30. It's cool, saw YLT there. But it's one of those places that feels a step too sanitized.
Manufactured retro vibes with current ticket and drink prices. 
Personally, I find it hard to figure out what the business plan of a venture like that is, connected directly to its parent venue.
Like does the business come down to literally the metrics of dollar amounts for each venue to be open and hosting what show each night?
Like is it worth even turning on the lights and running the HVAC at levels tolerable to humans for band-x beyond even staffing? 
Also, not meant as a knock, but the Atlantis lineup kind of feels like IMP's answer to the acts playing at Fillmore.
Side rant: Remember when the shows pages would actually include info about the bands on the schedule to, I don't know, maybe entice possible uninitiated audiences? I enjoyed checking out the listings and seeing if any random bands' bios piques my interest. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 12:26:36 pm by evilizac »
WHAT?