Author Topic: This DC band managed to get big names on their album. Help them release it.  (Read 3679 times)

pakui

Elikeh is an independent Afropop band from DC. They have a new album coming up called between 2 worlds.
They managed to have Vieux Farka Toure and John Kadlecik of Furthur on the album.
If you pre-order the album, you will be helping them get enough fund to hire a publicist and start a tour to promote the album.
Check out their campaign on Kickstarter- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708271923/elikeh-afropop-new-album?ref=live

Get the album before they release it.

Here is their website. www.elikeh.net

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
I'm tired of all this internet begging that bands do these days.

pakui

not begging! you are being asked to pre-order the album... If you don't like the band or the music, then don't do it. If you like the band, then when you preorder the songs, it will help them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
I'm supporting this one... I've supported a number of Kickstarter projects primarily for friends releases and feel this is a close as I'll get to running a record label given the economics of running one these days.
T.Rex

hutch

uncool

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
I agree that this solicitation is more palatable than most.  But i'm tired of bands doing kickstarters for things like "buy us a van so we can go on tour". 

killsaly

Ive contributed to two so far.
First one:  Shael Riley and the Double Ice Backfire.  Help us get our new album properly mastered.  Or something like that.  I paid 35 bucks.  I was supposed to get posters, art books, cds, etc... lots of stuff.  Two years later, nothing.  Then i update my address in the system after an email, 6 months go by and nothing.  I contact Kickstarter, and they say im essentially out of luck.  So i finally have a back and forth between Shael, he blames his live drummer, and I end up getting a refund.  There seems to be almost nothing one can do if they get screwed over, so even though you like a band, be careful.

Second one:  Wasnt kickstarter (cant remember the name).  Ringo Deathstarr needed money to record album in a proper studio.  I sent money, am supposed to get digital album and t shirt.  My fingers are crossed that they dont leave a bad taste in my mouth, because I am about done with the kickstarter style funding.  I would much rather buy a shirt at a show or a poster at a bands webstore, to help them out, than to just pledge money that I might get rewards for.

killsaly

Re: This DC band managed to get big names on their album. Help them release it.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:57:02 am »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:22:41 pm by killsaly »

James Ford

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12:15 pm »
I have fifty cents to a bum in a Tupac shirt.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:07:00 pm »
I'm tired of bands having boring/overpriced/etc rewards on their kickstarters.  Guess what, if you're a local band, then an autographed copy of your album is not worth $25.  Also, if you're a local band, then a regular version of your album is not worth $15-- should be $10 tops.  It's fine if you want to use kickstarter to help you pre-sell your album, but it's not awesome to ask your fans to pay way more than an item is worth to subsidize the cost of recording/releasing an album or buying a van or whatever.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »
I'm tired of bands having boring/overpriced/etc rewards on their kickstarters.  Guess what, if you're a local band, then an autographed copy of your album is not worth $25.  Also, if you're a local band, then a regular version of your album is not worth $15-- should be $10 tops.  It's fine if you want to use kickstarter to help you pre-sell your album, but it's not awesome to ask your fans to pay way more than an item is worth to subsidize the cost of recording/releasing an album or buying a van or whatever.

i think you're missing the point here - that's exactly what kickstarter is, a sort of fundraiser.  just like when you donate $50 to NPR and they send you a t-shirt.  are you going to complain that the t-shirt isn't worth $50? \

you don't use kickstarter to sell your merch at regular prices.
<sig>

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 03:53:20 pm »
i think you're missing the point here - that's exactly what kickstarter is, a sort of fundraiser.  just like when you donate $50 to NPR and they send you a t-shirt.  are you going to complain that the t-shirt isn't worth $50? \

you don't use kickstarter to sell your merch at regular prices.

The fact that you're equating NPR's service with a local band's merch underscores that you completely missed my point.

stevewizzle

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »

i see where you're going with this. spice it up! maybe along the lines of...

a donation of $1000 - we play a 20-minute rock ballad in your bedroom while you're balls deep in your SO.

Yada

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 04:58:26 pm »

Agreed.

James Ford

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 06:04:48 pm »
Who do you think you are? Steve Fucking Albini?