Author Topic: good last minute road trip ideas  (Read 7872 times)

walkonby

Re: good last minute road trip ideas
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:

Originally posted by tigers scare me:
  and on the way, stop at dinosaurland in winchester virginia.
 so worth the $5
Nice...is that still there? I vaguely remember going there 20 or so years ago. [/b]
it's as fun as a stomach pump.

PigIron

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by PigIron:
   Boston
Whew, 8 - 9 hours (one way) for a weekend seems like a VERY long drive.

Philly is a couple hours, New York is four, Pittsburgh is 3.5 (and a MUCH better drive than up I95 to Philly or NYC), Richmond is a couple.  I'd go with one of them.

Also, there are great lakes around -- Deep Creek, Lake Anna.  Eastern Shore of Maryland is lovely(St Michaels, Easton).  May be tough to find lodging mid-summer in places like that, though. [/b]
You're right on that one.  My best friends live in NJ/Philly/PA so I usually break up the driving and therefore, sometimes don't realize how far it is from me.  Also, I'm Baltimore, so that lops off an hour from most of you.

Fun town though.

PigIron

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:

Originally posted by azaghal1981:

Originally posted by tigers scare me:
  and on the way, stop at dinosaurland in winchester virginia.
 so worth the $5
Nice...is that still there? I vaguely remember going there 20 or so years ago. [/b]
it's as fun as a stomach pump. [/b]
Winchester is a nice little town.  Probably not a vacation spot by any means though.  If you want a cute little historical town go to Harper's Ferry.  
 And Christ, as a former Winchester resident, I advise all of humanity to steer clear from Dinosaurland.  You can find tons of stuff like that along the Appalachian Trail and I think, in the Ocean City area.  Its not one of those "so-stupid-its-cool" sites.  Its just stupid.  And in the middle of nowhere.

westendgirl

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »
If you're into history: Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown

and history of the musical kind:  RnR Hall of Fame. Fly out from BWI one morning, do the museum and fly back same day. Cheaper than gas and hotel!

hijinksandsue

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »
Not sure if six hours (give or take pit stops etc.) constitutes short enough road trip, but the upstate NY Fingers Lakes area is really nice ... tons of wineries, great restaurants, the whole Ithaca area is nice ... inns etc. on the water ... and a nice scenic drive ... if you want to add to the history and scenic aspect but possibly add a little bit onto the car time, you can do it by going through Amish Country in PA (don't miss the Nipple Convalescent Home on Route 15).

distance

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 11:11:00 pm »
centralia, pa.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »
You can make a nice day of it without it being some big production. A few suggestions:
 (I'm too lazy to do your research now for exact details.)

Brandywine, I think it's called, up in Delaware near Pennsylvania. The Dupont Museums and another very close by that starts with a W that has a lot of Whistler and Andrew Wyeth paintings. Not at all my favorite artists but it's still well worth the trip. Very nice gardens.

The LaDeau (sp?) Gardens in Jacksonville, Maryland. (Kind of up the street from me.) A very nice house with a gorgeous garden to roam around in. The house tour is nice and historically interesting.

Falling Waters/Springs...whatever. That Frank Lloyd Wright house in Pennsylvania.

One of the Civil War battlefields like Gettysburg or Antedium (sp?). Gettysburg drives me nuts now that it's gotten so extremely touristy but it makes for a nice day trip. Tons of nice roadside garage sales on the way up during the weekends.

Harper's Ferry, Emmitsburg, etc...are always nice.

I've heard Hay Market is nice for antiques but I don't know that for a fact.

You can make a full day of it at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and still not see most of it. My favorite! Just be careful because they tend to close for insanely long periods of time.

It's always pleasant to take a cruise on one of the local waterways. Probably plenty to choose from between the Potomac, the Severn River, the Baltimore Harbor, and the Chesapeake Bay. Check out the Chambers of Commerce for Baltimore, DC, Annapolis, Maryland and Virginia.

eltee

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »
South VA - Blacksburg is a quaint town, with plenty of restaurants and shops. Radford is pretty dead but the area is gorgeous. I've had a great time (even during the holiday time) in dowtown Roanoke. Roanoke has a great market area: old buildings, many cafes/restaurants, arts and crafts. I think you might be able to find pavillions / clubs for shows (check pollstar). Drive up the mountain and look over the city...Many lakes and parks down there for fishing camping, biking, hiking. (Claytor Lake, Jefferson National Forest, and an 8 mi RT hike to waterfalls in B'bg...Smith Mountain Lake - where Dirty Dancing was filmed.)
 Also, Morrissette Winery is down there...and a few others I believe, if you wanted to tour.
 3-5 hours

Someone mentioned the Northern Neck, I've been there - very relaxing. (Not many places to eat though.) There are a few farms to buy or pick fruit and vegetables - delicious. 2-3 hours

I also have been to Rocky Gap Resort in Cumberland, MD. It's on a golf course, lake and trail property and the rates are reasonable. 2-3 hours

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »
I've never been there but I've heard Cool Font (I think it's called) is nice. It's a spa retreat sort of a place up in or near Deep Creek Lake. Just leave any loofaphobia at home.    ;)