Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3245176 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2955 on: June 28, 2013, 10:20:29 pm »
Is that a good thing?

This Sweet Baby Jesus by Du Claw definitely tastes like Chocolate and peanut butter.

killsaly

« Reply #2956 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:00 pm »
It was ok. It wasn't for me, and I don't know if I would have liked a whole bottle.

atomicfront

« Reply #2957 on: June 28, 2013, 11:09:13 pm »
At the O's game tonight I had a Firkin of Flying Dog Belgium IPA with Habrenero and Mango..  Pretty Delicious. 

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2958 on: July 01, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »
any ideas on where I can get kegs of DC Brau?
(o|o)

James Ford

« Reply #2959 on: July 01, 2013, 12:48:12 pm »
Wow, killer IPA lineup at Dupont Paradiso tonight...

http://www.eatyourpizza.com/dupont-circle-beer-menu/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2960 on: July 01, 2013, 02:14:38 pm »
on wednesday night i'll be at this: http://phillytapfinder.com/event/brewing-networks-bna8/

looking forward to drinking Founder's Bolt Cutter & Doom, Moonlight Russian Imperial Braggot, Stone's Reason Be Damned, Weyerbacher Aquila & Insanity... at least i hope to taste all of these, we'll see how far i make it down that list.  supposedly there will also be some special meads from Moonlight Meadery.  

so i survived the National Homebrewer's Conference... still waiting to hear if stevewizzle made it back ;D

wednesday: the above-mentioned BNA8 party.  i liked the bolt cutter better than the doom.  the russian imperial braggot was insane. hop'solutely was surprisingly good.  tasted a number of other winners.  entertainment provided by The Trophy Fire (great power pop/rock) and the kids from the School of Rock (they melted faces).

thursday night was pro night, when the professionals brewers poured their wares in the grand convention hall.  best thing i tasted was Bitter Valentine, by Williamsburg AleWerks.  must have had at least 5 tastings of that.  the smaller breweries brought their A-game, some of the bigger boys phoned it in - Firestone Walker poured Wooky Jack, only, and the batch seemed off.  DFH had some great stuff on offer. Sam was serving for a while.

friday night was club night - the most fun i've had in a long while.  homebrew clubs decorate their tables with a theme and tried to out-serve everyone else.  a NYC club had 25 beers on tap.  a WV club had a kegerator that looked just like a mining wagon full of coal, with dynamite sticks as the tap handles.  a club from sacremento, Barley Legal, erected a whole saloon that was kick-ass.  they won the Golden Urinal award for bringing the most kegs - somewhere north of 100, probably around 150.  the theme for our club, the DC Homebrewers, was "occupy beer", protesting bad beer, "fermentation without representation", "we are the 5.8% (abv)", etc.  i can't even begin to decide what was the best beer that i tasted.  it was all awesome - a raspberry berliner wiesse, several barrel-aged RIS, lambics and geuzes, meads... it was beer nirvana.

friday night was the grand banquet which was a food pairing sponsored by Rogue.  at this point i was pretty beer'ed out.  the food, which was made with beer, was nice but the beer was merely OK: honey kolsch (new), american amber, rogenbier rye (new, i think), and the hazelnut brown. 

i also attended many seminars, got all sorts of free stuff from the vendor expo, traded beer, and drank more beer.  summer camp for beer dorks.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #2961 on: July 01, 2013, 02:17:08 pm »
on wednesday night i'll be at this: http://phillytapfinder.com/event/brewing-networks-bna8/

looking forward to drinking Founder's Bolt Cutter & Doom, Moonlight Russian Imperial Braggot, Stone's Reason Be Damned, Weyerbacher Aquila & Insanity... at least i hope to taste all of these, we'll see how far i make it down that list.  supposedly there will also be some special meads from Moonlight Meadery.  

so i survived the National Homebrewer's Conference... still waiting to hear if stevewizzle made it back ;D

wednesday: the above-mentioned BNA8 party.  i liked the bolt cutter better than the doom.  the russian imperial braggot was insane. hop'solutely was surprisingly good.  tasted a number of other winners.  entertainment provided by The Trophy Fire (great power pop/rock) and the kids from the School of Rock (they melted faces).

thursday night was pro night, when the professionals brewers poured their wares in the grand convention hall.  best thing i tasted was Bitter Valentine, by Williamsburg AleWerks.  must have had at least 5 tastings of that.  the smaller breweries brought their A-game, some of the bigger boys phoned it in - Firestone Walker poured Wooky Jack, only, and the batch seemed off.  DFH had some great stuff on offer. Sam was serving for a while.

friday night was club night - the most fun i've had in a long while.  homebrew clubs decorate their tables with a theme and tried to out-serve everyone else.  a NYC club had 25 beers on tap.  a WV club had a kegerator that looked just like a mining wagon full of coal, with dynamite sticks as the tap handles.  a club from sacremento, Barley Legal, erected a whole saloon that was kick-ass.  they won the Golden Urinal award for bringing the most kegs - somewhere north of 100, probably around 150.  the theme for our club, the DC Homebrewers, was "occupy beer", protesting bad beer, "fermentation without representation", "we are the 5.8% (abv)", etc.  i can't even begin to decide what was the best beer that i tasted.  it was all awesome - a raspberry berliner wiesse, several barrel-aged RIS, lambics and geuzes, meads... it was beer nirvana.

friday night was the grand banquet which was a food pairing sponsored by Rogue.  at this point i was pretty beer'ed out.  the food, which was made with beer, was nice but the beer was merely OK: honey kolsch (new), american amber, rogenbier rye (new, i think), and the hazelnut brown. 

i also attended many seminars, got all sorts of free stuff from the vendor expo, traded beer, and drank more beer.  summer camp for beer dorks.

If I was atomicfront, I'd say "that sounds awful."

atomicfront

« Reply #2962 on: July 01, 2013, 02:34:04 pm »

If I was atomicfront, I'd say "that sounds awful."

Actually I was going  to say that sounds great and I wish I knew about this in advance.  Why would I be against a home-brew convention? I have done about 12 batches at home this year.  Stop making everything about me.  You obsession with me is getting creepy.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2963 on: July 01, 2013, 02:35:05 pm »
Drink the District Beer Festival

Saturday, July 27 ? 11:00AM, 3:00PM, 7:00PM
Sunday, July 28 ? 11:00AM, 3:00PM

$20 (pre-sale/early bird only?)

What you get

3 Hours of Unlimited Tastings of 50+ Beers
    Unlimited Full Pours of Bud Light & Shock Top
    Live Music, Lawn Games & Food Trucks

Take an unlimited tasting journey through more than 50 beers from around the world, dive into DC's most delicious food trucks, and enjoy awesome lawn games and live music on the main stage at this summer's Drink the District: Beer Edition, held on Saturday, July 27 and Sunday, July 28 in Mount Vernon Triangle. With this offer, you can snag tickets to your choice of five sessions, plus receive a commemorative tasting glass.

Be sure to buy early! The price will go up as sessions sell out.

Drink the District's Website
breweries
Devil?s Backbone Brewing Company
Tröegs Brewing Company
Smuttynose Brewing Company
Bold Rock Hard Cider
Victory Brewing Company
Goose Island
?and more!

11 a.m. to 2 p.m. | Session 1 on Saturday
    3 to 6 p.m. | Session 2 on Saturday
    7 to 10 p.m. | Session 3 on Saturday
    11 a.m. to 2 p.m. | Session 4 on Sunday
    3 to 6 p.m. | Session 5 on Sunday

https://livingsocial.com/events/cities/1709-washington-d-c-citywide/722178-drink-the-district-beer-festival
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2964 on: July 01, 2013, 02:59:05 pm »
i'm pretty sure even a'front would have liked it - there were plenty of german-style beers being poured.  someone i met & hung with at the conference won a bronze medal for his classic american pilsner.  our table went nuts when they called his name at the banquet.  definitely one of the fun things about that last big event - pulling & cheering for your buddies, even if you only met them 48 hours ago.

a'front, if you can, try to attend a NHC (http://www.ahaconference.org/).  such a blast: you learn a lot, meet amazing people (tons of drinking, zero altercations or even harsh words), get tons of free stuff, and drink the most amazing beer (all unlimited pours...  :o).  next year's edition will be in Grand Rapids, MI.  lots of good breweries to visit while there: founders, jolly pumpkin, dark horse, bell's, hopcat, right brain, new holland, etc.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #2965 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16:34 pm »

things that survived:
me

things that did not survive:
a can of beer that exploded in my backpack
my phone
my lunch on friday
my pride
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:19:34 pm by stevewizzle »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2966 on: July 02, 2013, 01:35:33 am »

things that survived:
me

things that did not survive:
a can of beer that exploded in my backpack
my phone
my lunch on friday
my pride

POTM.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2967 on: July 02, 2013, 04:37:45 pm »
when i watch this, i think of atomicfront.  you know . . . i bet hes pretty cool in person.  people on computers are always opposites of their forumer self.  somebody told me that once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sm8JM-K1dc&feature=youtu.be

shemptiness

« Reply #2968 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28:32 am »
From Deadspin:

36 Cheap American Beers, Ranked

Or maybe that should be 36 rank American beers 

Stillwater

« Reply #2969 on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:51 am »
Heading up to The Alchemist on Saturday... first time.  I'll report back after the weekend.