Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 932608 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #1845 on: August 04, 2016, 02:52:31 am »
BLR puts out some of the best 'bust your gut' bits consistently
Cruz talks Trump

That guy wants to party and have someone do the pukin' for him

off-topic alert: BLR may also have produced the perfect indie-pop tune, Bushes of Love

amazing counterpoint.  i'm hearing Empire of the Sun in there...
<sig>

« Reply #1846 on: August 04, 2016, 10:37:40 am »
@andy Borowitz

DNC Headquarters Mobbed by Republican Refugees Seeking Asylum
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #1848 on: August 04, 2016, 05:30:45 pm »
^as he gets more desperate it will only get worse

watching POTUS press conference...going to miss him...I think we've had better presidents.. not that many...he was dealt a real bad hand... but have we ever had somebody as cool, calm, collected, and measured?... the way you can literally see the wheels turning in that brain as he answers questions with such precision with the words he selects...  in some ways he turned out to be better than even I expected... in others not so much...he lacks- in my estimation- some creativity..

I feel he is going to keep doing these press conferences because when you see him it just underscores how far behind Trump is... how there can be no Trump...how he is not fit or qualified to be President.

Its amazing how his popularity (approval rating) has risen to 54% even at the same time that in some polls up to 70% of people think the country is on the wrong track...

interesting question.. he's issued a lot of commutations but fewest pardons since John Adams!

« Reply #1849 on: August 04, 2016, 09:11:14 pm »
I didn't read the story, but this headline is all you need to know
Scientists: Earth Endangered by New Strain of Fact-Resistant Humans

and yes ....I've become the andy b fan boy
You have to believe I never intended it to happen
slack

hutch

« Reply #1850 on: August 04, 2016, 09:52:33 pm »
Borowitz is good for a chuckle but not a laugh out loud guffaw...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1851 on: August 05, 2016, 12:34:34 am »
scathing take-down of trump by the Harvard Republican Club:

"In every presidential election since 1888, the members and Executive Board of the Harvard Republican Club have gathered to discuss, debate, and eventually endorse the standard-bearer of our party. But for the first time in 128 years, we, the oldest College Republicans chapter in the nation, will not be endorsing the Republican nominee."

continued: https://www.facebook.com/HarvardGOP/posts/1190758900944693

i think they covered just about everything... what an indictment. 
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #1852 on: August 05, 2016, 08:41:49 am »
+255,000 jobs in July... better than expected.. and better news than any poll...

only three more jobs reports to go until election...

walk,on,by

« Reply #1853 on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:50 am »
I heard some talk about, "what if trump walks away, or what if they can get trump to give in to be replaced?"  why would he do that, and who will fill those shoes?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1854 on: August 05, 2016, 10:18:30 am »
I heard some talk about, "what if trump walks away, or what if they can get trump to give in to be replaced?"  why would he do that, and who will fill those shoes?
We've actually discussed this at length in the last few pages.

Short-ish version: because if its apparent he is going to lose, if he actually stays in and loses, he then "lost" and has to eat shit, which is literally the worst thing imaginable to an egomaniac. However if he "drops out", say in late-September or October and says "the system is rigged and I need to protect my family from Crooked Hillary's attacks," then he didn't "lose." He took his ball and went home, and can talk forever and ever about how he could've won if he really wanted to.

For the second part of your question, if Trump dies, drops out, or (pending the inevitable lawsuit) the RNC just basically decides they want to dump him for no reason, the 160-something members of the RNC get together in a backroom and basically elect a new nominee. This person would almost assuredly lose the election by a near historic magin and probably would not be listed on the ballot in many states. (Each state has a deadline for when people can last be added/removed from the ballot in that state. That deadline is now or soon approaching in many states.)

One of the reasons Hillary's margin of victory would be so astronomical in this situation -- aside from the fact that the American people are literally going to hate 160 fatcats declaring a new nominee that no one got to vote on -- is that in many states you're going to have Hillary, Trump, and New Nominee listed (since Trumps name cannot be removed after a certain deadline) and in others just Hillary and Trump (with GOP members instructed to write-in the new person) and in others Hillary and New Nominee (with Trump hardliners writing in Trump as a protest), which would split the Republican vote in half. Super red states that Hillary would lose 60 to 40 she could win 40 to 35 to 25.

In other words, it'd be a goddamned mess.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:23:45 am by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

« Reply #1855 on: August 05, 2016, 11:09:37 am »

In other words, it'd be a goddamned mess.
and I can't wait to play my fiddle as the GOP burns to the ground
If it could only have a positive outcome for the Dems in the house and senate races...now that would be awesome
slack

« Reply #1856 on: August 05, 2016, 11:28:55 am »
Trump could absolutely affect the Senate races. A four-seat shift is utterly possible.

That said, the House is so gerrymandered its beyond hope. In 2012, IIRC, over a million more people voted for Democratic house candidates than Republican ones and the GOP came out with a 30-something seat majority. :-/
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1857 on: August 05, 2016, 11:49:22 am »
I don't agree.. everything is up for grabs....doesn't mean its likely but its all up for grabs...one could see voters become disgusted with Republicans in general (they look like clowns right now fighting it out among themselves over Trump) over their disgust for Trump and deciding to give the democrats a deciding win.....

I do think the Senate will be retaken... Feingold will win Wisconsin in a walk and there are other Democratic pickups.. Republicans will have a tough time holding on to PA, IL, NH and other places...I dont' know every pickup opportunity but there are a few..

Depending on factors that can't be predicted like terror attacks, release of further Hillary emails, first debate and crazy Trump statements anything can happen...

But at this point a Hillary victory looks quite likely... I'm not so sure people are going to just forget or ignore the things Trump has been saying.. people keep talking about him as if 1) he can magically change and 2) people will buy that change....

It is possible that the media will conspire to create a tighter race in order to boost their ratings and people's interest....

I also think Hillary is going to wipe the floor with Donald at the first debate....She is a very good debater.... I remember the 20 Obama-Clinton debates... I never felt the President beat her much as I wanted him to.... and Trump is like a little boy.. you can easily see her getting under his skin or him- seeing himself behind in the polls- making some insane assertions that serve to further bury him.... Meanwhile, Hillary is so disciplined and has such grasp on policy its hard to see her failing... Yes, Gore was smarter than Bush and lost but Gore was not even close to where Hillary is... and Trump is nowhere close to where Bush was....Also we know the people running the debates are going to ask specific policy questions regarding foreign policy and the economy... Trump - in a one on one debate- will not be able to hide like he did during the primaries...His inconsistencies are bound to be exposed...

We are one week out from the end of the Democratic Convention and Hillary is in an enviable position. The latest poll we have seen has her up FOUR points in Georgia... Now I'm not saying she is going to win there but there has been a notable shift the past week....First of all the Republican Convention looked like a clown show compared to the Democratic Convention and then Trump said some incredibly stupid shit which I dont' think is as easy to walk back as some seem to say..

ANd what if the economy gains lets say another 750,000 jobs in the next three months? And Obama's approval rating remains at 54%...  its just a real slog for Republicans even against an unpopular candidate (which could also change...)

« Reply #1858 on: August 05, 2016, 12:04:26 pm »
I don't agree.. everything is up for grabs....doesn't mean its likely but its all up for grabs...
Sure. But I would put better odds on Donald Trump winning the Presidency than the Dems taking back the House.

I do think the Senate will be retaken... Feingold will win Wisconsin in a walk and there are other Democratic pickups.. Republicans will have a tough time holding on to PA, IL, NH and other places...I dont' know every pickup opportunity but there are a few..
The polling is sketchy but Evan Bayh supposedly leads in Indiana. INDIANA!

I also think Hillary is going to wipe the floor with Donald at the first debate....She is a very good debater.... I remember the 20 Obama-Clinton debates... I never felt the President beat her much as I wanted him to.... and Trump is like a little boy.. you can easily see her getting under his skin or him- seeing himself behind in the polls- making some insane assertions that serve to further bury him.... Meanwhile, Hillary is so disciplined and has such grasp on policy its hard to see her failing...
The debates are going to be hilarious. You can already see Trump trying to get out of them with the whole NFL thing.

The latest poll we have seen has her up FOUR points in Georgia... Now I'm not saying she is going to win there but there has been a notable shift the past week....
I've been banging the Georgia polling drum for months. Hillary goes up another point or two in the National polls and I'm going to start drunkenly saying insane things about Mississippi. EDIT: Also, most recent reputable poll (with Johnson included) has Hillary within 3% in Texas.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:26:34 pm by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1859 on: August 05, 2016, 12:29:24 pm »
If I wasn't on my mobile, I'd quote myself from a few months ago saying his Primary Strategy is going to kill him in the general:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-campaign-memo-unlikely-voters/
27>34